Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 FPS URSA footage and resolve

Hey folks,

Have a quick turnaround on an edit, and when I import a few tabletop shots that I shot @ 48FPS I'm just getting a folder filled with DNG's that will not play back as video in the media section. Do I need to plop these down on a timeline to get it to playback as slow-mo video?

Rob, if your project frame rate is set to 24 fps, then when you add a clip that was shot at 48 fps in camera, you'll have your slow motion on the timeline as that will play back at 24 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by robmneilson View Post
      Hey folks,

Have a quick turnaround on an edit, and when I import a few tabletop shots that I shot @ 48FPS I'm just getting a folder filled with DNG's that will not play back as video in the media section. Do I need to plop these down on a timeline to get it to playback as slow-mo video?
      Sounds like dropped frames. What firmware are you running?

Can you take a screenshot of the DNG folder?

It should be one clip in the folder, and one audio file as well when looking in R11. If there are a few, there's likely something going on with drops.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
      Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Hrm, yes each folder is a bunch of frames and an audio clip when I import it into resolve. I'll take a screenshot once I get back home.

Was running latest firmware update, and these shots were on a wise 128gb card (which tested 80fps slow mo fine prior to the shoot).

Thanks for your help Rick & Kholi.

Comment

Rob, if you are shooting your tests at 80 fps, your data rate is probably greater than the card is rated for. Roughly your data rate is 400 MB/s but the Wise is only rated at 350 MB/s. Strange your tests seemed to work fine.

Must be dropped frames as Kholi suggested. Sorry I didn't quite understand your question initially.

The Lexar 256 GB card should handle that 80 fps data rate. For the shots that appear to have failed, 48 fps is roughly 250 MB/s and Lexar's and Wise should be fine.
          Last edited by rick.lang; 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

No worries. At the end of the shoot yesterday I popped off three 48FPS shots at the end of a card, so perhaps that explains why the frames were dropped. When I inititally tested them during prep, the Wise card shot 80FPS perfectly fine (on an empty card). I didn't expect it would drop at 48FPS however.

Home in a few and will take some screenshots.

Comment

So it might even be related to the MLC issue where the writes to the second level of cells on a card take twice as much work as the first level cell writes (if CFast 2 cards use multi-level cells for storage like SSDs).

Comment

Just opened it up in resolve (didn't have time in the AM as I needed to set a proxy render on all the footage and leave the house). But definetely dropped frames.

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.33.12 PM.jpg
                Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 7.32.25 PM.jpg

Comment

FWIW
                  http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...=dropped+frame
                  think the link is still good.
                  "Senior Member"???... Really???...
                  Not to be taken seriously...by anyone.....

Comment

Thanks for that...might be worth messing with to duplicate the frames. Luckilly the 48FPS stuff the client didn't want, but I just shot it anyway...so no real loss. But good to know in the future don't A) do it on a Wise card that's 90% full B) Just use Lexar C) LEXAR!

Comment

I just thought about this: did you happen to have Dual Card Mode on when you did that? It would give you a ton of dupes as well. I didnt' see your frame grab, it vanished.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                      Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

I wish I had dual card mode turned on...but sadly we were shooting one card at a time due to slow footage dumps on my laptop. Forgive a stupid question (since I don't have my camera on me to check) but how does the dual card mode work with high FPS footage? I assume you have to manually dump the DNGs in the same folder, but when I'm using a program like offload is there a more elegant way?

And where do our pictures go on this forum? I haven't been able to open any pictures in the last couple of days!
                        Last edited by robmneilson; 05-04-2015, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Rob, each card will have the same folder name I believe, but the DNGs within the folder are unique. Presumably all the odd DNG frames are on card one and the even frames on card two so when you import them to the folder on your storage device, they all work as expected. As for the software to ensure this is the way the DNGs are filed by your computer, Media Express should do that for you.

Comment

Awesome, thanks Rick.

Comment

Working...
                            X