No announcement yet.

Gtx 660 or 670

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the 660Ti with BMPCC and it worked fine in Resolve and P.Pro. If you want to future proof more get the 970 like suggested.

Comment

So I had a 660Ti until about 4 months ago, and let me tell you first hand... 2gb is simply not enough. I have a GTX 970 now and holy shit is the difference magnificent. It's not just a tiny improvement in rendering times, it's simply another universe altogether. I went from 1-3 FPS rendering with FilmConvert with grain etc, to a full 24fps.

If you're rendering anything at all that will require grain, or Film LUTs or just even a simple REC 709 conversion of your footage, the difference is laughably huge. It's almost like Resolve is going out of its way to cripple 2GB cards (maybe not that extreme...) but seriously if you want reasonable render times and the ability to live preview without stopping every half second, definitely get a 4GB card.
      Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
        So I had a 660Ti until about 4 months ago, and let me tell you first hand... 2gb is simply not enough. I have a GTX 970 now and holy shit is the difference magnificent. It's not just a tiny improvement in rendering times, it's simply another universe altogether. I went from 1-3 FPS rendering with FilmConvert with grain etc, to a full 24fps.

If you're rendering anything at all that will require grain, or Film LUTs or just even a simple REC 709 conversion of your footage, the difference is laughably huge. It's almost like Resolve is going out of its way to cripple 2GB cards (maybe not that extreme...) but seriously if you want reasonable render times and the ability to live preview without stopping every half second, definitely get a 4GB card.
        Interesting. I didn't have any problems with LUT's even in Resolve with my 660Ti. Filmconvert has always been an issue, even with my 970 I have now. Definitely renders faster but still slow in my opinion. Since I switched to the GH4 I can't get realtime playback in Resolve with untouced footage. It stutters and I get 18 FPS on 1080p. Tried everything, people on the Blackmagic forum say it is because the codec, I'm sure it blazes with BMPCC footage though. What's your processor?

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post

Yep

Comment

As someone who grades BMPCC footage in resolve with a 2GB graphics card, I'm glad you chose 4gb. It's fine for a couple nodes, but as soon as you start adding noise reduction and masks and tracking and all that fun stuff, you just don't get the same playback. It's even a little slow for RAW footage. Also, it gives you the ability to grow for when a client or someone demands more resolution.

Comment

i wonder how the GTX 960 4GB will fair compared to the 970 for BMPCC footage with luts, masks/tracking and noise reduction...

Comment

Well 970 has twice of everything in specs the 960 has.
                Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Comment

Keep in mind the GTX 970 is really a 3.5 gb card with an extra 0.5 gb of very sluggish ram clinging on for dear life. But I think the tech in the card is just so speedy that it doesnt really matter unless youve actually maxed out the memory and are using the slow part. Then you see a performance drop.

As a side note, it REALLY helps to transcode H264 footage to prores with something like Rocky Mountian Movie Converter. Makes is smoother to work with in resolve.

Comment

Working...
                  X