X-Rite ColorChecker Passport on sale at B&H just today only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Rite ColorChecker Passport on sale at B&H just today only

The X-Rite ColorChecker Passport is ~40% off at B&H today only and while supply last. I love this product especially when I use it to color match footage in DR 12 as it is one of the supported color checker.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Passport.html
    Last edited by EYu; 05-18-2016, 06:21 AM.

I don't mean to be cheap, but wouldn't something like this do exactly the same for a fraction of the price of the one you posted (at least the color checker part)? Reviews seem to be very consistent, with some people even mentioning they tested it with Resolve and it gave the same results as the X-Rite (page 2 of reviews, I believe).

EDIT: the link goes to the main page, I don't know why... Copy and paste this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profe...367419582.html
    Last edited by MiguelFranco; 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiguelFranco View Post
      I don't mean to be cheap, but wouldn't something like this do exactly the same for a fraction of the price of the one you posted (at least the color checker part)? Reviews seem to be very consistent, with some people even mentioning they tested it with Resolve and it gave the same results as the X-Rite (page 2 of reviews, I believe).
      I'm going to assume you were referring to the lip stick shades on the link. That's cute. I'd say it should work but you will need a female model to try it own... and that could quickly get expensive. Ha....

Edit: Your link is broken (brought me to the lipstick page) but I was able to search for the color chart you were referring to. Well, I don't know coz i've never used these knockoffs ones. What I know X-rite has its reputation for making quality color cards and is supported by DR. I was just providing info in case it was useful to others here.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
        I'm going to assume you were referring to the lip stick shades on the link. That's cute. I'd say it should work but you will need a female model to try it own... and that could quickly get expensive. Ha....

Edit: Your link is broken (brought me to the lipstick page) but I was able to search for the color chart you were referring to. Well, I don't know coz i've never used these knockoffs ones. What I know X-rite has its reputation for making quality color cards and is supported by DR. I was just providing info in case it was useful to others here.
        Haha, good one. Don't know how that happened, if I copy and paste the link it works, if I click the link it goes to the page you mentioned (aliexpress home page).

Yes, I see what you did there, didn't mean to sound rude. I just wanted to point out that there is something cheaper that seems to do the same job, according to some reviewers. I know X-rite has reputation, and I know aliexpress has... another kind of reputation, but some things seem to work just fine, and if you can save some money here and there, maybe you can afford another lens, another light or another item where you should spend bigger money.

Comment

Color chip cards/charts vary GREATLY in quality.
          The color chips really have to be accurate and even the best ones fade over time.
          If you read some more reliable reviews - maybe something like the ones on B&H's site (although those can be just as bogus sometimes) you'll find that a lot of cheap chip charts just do not have accurate colors.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            Color chip cards/charts vary GREATLY in quality.
            The color chips really have to be accurate and even the best ones fade over time.
            If you read some more reliable reviews - maybe something like the ones on B&H's site (although those can be just as bogus sometimes) you'll find that a lot of cheap chip charts just do not have accurate colors.
            You guys are probably right. This might also be one of those things you don't want to cheap out.

Comment

Looks like the sale is over? Only ten bucks off when I checked...

Comment

Originally posted by robmneilson View Post
                Looks like the sale is over? Only ten bucks off when I checked...
                As the OP stated, the sale was only for one day and that was yesterday. It's over.

Comment

Originally posted by MiguelFranco View Post
                  I don't mean to be cheap, but wouldn't something like this do exactly the same for a fraction of the price of the one you posted.
                  My opinion is purely subjective as I don't have any tech info to back it up, but I've always seen accessories like these useful when balancing the images on a shot by shot basis. If you're looking just to have a similar base on all your shots to start your color correction any reference will do, I assume, as long as the colors remain the same from shot to shot. And, instead of using a basic grey card, it should prove useful to have more colors for reference. And maybe, even lip stick shades are better than nothing, right?

But, if you're looking to rely completely on the color correction provided by the reference you're using by using and automate tool like Resolve's match tool, it's probably a better idea to invest in something more reliable. Even better if you don't have a properly calibrated monitor for post.

The Datacolor SpyderCheckr 24 is, I believe, at half the price of the X-Rite and works really well for me in Resolve.

Comment

The Xrite color checker classic is much cheaper than the passport version although it only comes with the color card. I have used the classic for as long as I remember with DR and it works just great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cker_Card.html

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I bought one and love it. works for prores too.

Comment

Should work with any cameras and codec.

Comment

Saw that this is on sale on amazon today for $104 (vs $114) and they only have a few left. Just incase anyone forgot to pick one up on the last sale (even though this isn't as good as 40% off).
                          Last edited by robmneilson; 10-23-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X