Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

led light cob without multiple shadows

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • led light cob without multiple shadows

    I want to buy a led light, those with COB led to avoid the multiple shadows problem. Good TLCI, good power, bowen-s.

    I was looking at pixapro:
    https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/pro...-studio-light/

    But then I saw this video where he shows it has multiple shadows...:
    https://youtu.be/TiiY2eoNuK4?t=499

    I know of Boltzen 55W that seems good, but they have little power.

    Another one that should really well/top is the new Aputure 300D, but it's a bit pricey for me now.


    Have you some advice of something else in the price point of pixapro, similar power, bowen-s, without multiple shadows?

  • #2
    The video shows the reviewer using the bare bulb, visually no one does that. These lights are meant to be fired into a soft box or some other light modifier that will soften those shadows and expand the light source. Youtube videos are great for misinformation and half truths. You can find a bunch that will both pan and love the same product depending on their point of view and way of working.

    Comment


    • #3
      I disagree on one point: these lights are the only one type that permits you to use them both hard AND soft light.
      If you buy all the other flat led panels you get only soft light, you could never use them as hard light.
      These spot lights instead CAN, if one wants it, be used as hard light instead of the classical soft boxes or similar.
      So I don't think it's a misleading info, instead very useful: some other COB lights don't seem to have this behaviour on multiple shadows.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by frank10 View Post
        I disagree on one point: these lights are the only one type that permits you to use them both hard AND soft light.
        If you buy all the other flat led panels you get only soft light, you could never use them as hard light.
        These spot lights instead CAN, if one wants it, be used as hard light instead of the classical soft boxes or similar.
        So I don't think it's a misleading info, instead very useful: some other COB lights don't seem to have this behaviour on multiple shadows.
        Yes, but in what situation would you want the light to be hard AND open face? Usually, if you want it to be hard, you're going to put a fresnel attachment on it. I haven't tested it yet, nor did the reviewer in your link, but my guess is that after it goes through a fresnel lens, it will be plenty hard and will not have multiple shadows.

        Edit: Here are the results with the same light with a $30 fresnel attachment. It will give you an idea of what's possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JuitNXvtQI
        Last edited by _OZ; 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, the fresnel should help.
          A better test could be with a parabolic reflector (like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/UKHP-Bowens-...4AAOSwN6JY9zck) to concentrate light on the front side without a glass in front.
          Here I doubt it will help with multiple shadows...
          This could be a common situation when lighting an interview set with hard light.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by frank10 View Post
            Yes, the fresnel should help.
            A better test could be with a parabolic reflector (like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/UKHP-Bowens-...4AAOSwN6JY9zck) to concentrate light on the front side without a glass in front.
            Here I doubt it will help with multiple shadows...
            This could be a common situation when lighting an interview set with hard light.
            I'm pretty sure the test in your first original post was using the parabolic reflector that comes with the light.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, you're right: I was in doubt because I remembered he tested also without it ( at 7:39 ). My first post was on May...
              So, in fact a simple reflector doesn't help. It can give you the best hard light, but in this product you will get also multiple shadows...

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a couple of the GODOX lights that are just like the PixaPro. Great frikkin' lights. Use them over every other type of fixture whenever I can.

                I use all kinds of Bowens modifiers and they work perfectly.

                I thought the PixaPro mkII had a battery option...is that only for the smaller 100 model?
                Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                  I have a couple of the GODOX lights that are just like the PixaPro. Great frikkin' lights. Use them over every other type of fixture whenever I can.

                  I use all kinds of Bowens modifiers and they work perfectly.

                  I thought the PixaPro mkII had a battery option...is that only for the smaller 100 model?
                  There is PixaPro 100mkII +
                  The plus sign denotes the addition of cable and Vlock plate. The 200 has no battery option, sadly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So, apart their good quality light and all -I agree on this- do you confirm DPStewart they have multiple shadows with reflector?

                    Anyway, now I'm looking at another brand that seems more complete and slightly more pricey but bicolor...!
                    The Falcon eyes CLL-1600TDX
                    These exist also with V-mount battery plate, even if with slightly less power:
                    DLL-1600TW

                    https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_odkw...+1600&_sacat=0

                    I don't know if they also have multiple shadows... I'm still waiting on a promised review by Curtis Judd!
                    Last edited by frank10; 01-06-2018, 11:57 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      But it hasn't Bowen-s...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by frank10 View Post
                        So, apart their good quality light and all -I agree on this- do you confirm DPStewart they have multiple shadows with reflector?

                        Anyway, now I'm looking at another brand that seems more complete and slightly more pricey but bicolor...!
                        The Falcon eyes DLL-1600TDX
                        These exist also with V-mount battery plate, even if with slightly less power:
                        DLL-1600TW

                        https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_odkw...+1600&_sacat=0

                        I don't know if they also have multiple shadows... I'm still waiting on a promised review by Curtis Judd!
                        I have used the GODOX monolithic LED light head with shadow kits and I never noticed multiple shadows. It comes through like any other single point light source.
                        As for that portion of that video put up in the OP - it's not clear how that was generated.
                        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey DPStewart, thanks for the heads up on the GODOX brand. The Pixapro looks cool but only links to UK sellers. Need North American option.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
                            Hey DPStewart, thanks for the heads up on the GODOX brand. The Pixapro looks cool but only links to UK sellers. Need North American option.
                            NOTE: The GODOX 100 model absolutely WILL flicker at 50% brightness and below. The 200 model does NOT. (They may have corrected the 100 model now too, I don't know. Mine is an early one.)
                            The flicker of the 100 model below 50% has never been a problem for me because I'm always using it at at least that brightness because I'm nearly always diffusing it, or bouncing it.
                            The Umbrella mount on the bottom of these lights is a real charm. It takes 10-seconds to power it up and throw a $15 diffusion umbrella on the front with no extra stands or mounts or anything.
                            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                              NOTE: The GODOX 100 model absolutely WILL flicker at 50% brightness and below. The 200 model does NOT. (They may have corrected the 100 model now too, I don't know. Mine is an early one.)
                              The flicker of the 100 model below 50% has never been a problem for me because I'm always using it at at least that brightness because I'm nearly always diffusing it, or bouncing it.
                              The Umbrella mount on the bottom of these lights is a real charm. It takes 10-seconds to power it up and throw a $15 diffusion umbrella on the front with no extra stands or mounts or anything.
                              Good to know, I was thinking the 200 anyway for max punch, dial back if needed. Is fan noise an issue at all?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X