Labeling gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labeling gear

I wanted to see what the general consensus is on labeling gear.
    How do you label all your stuff? Paint, Label maker, Professionally printed stickers with your name or logo?
    Do you label everything from Memory cards, Batteries, cameras, cables, cases etc?

I use a label maker for most things because it looks more professional.
    But ALL other every last little thing get's tagged with a gold or silver paint pen. Or an engraver where possible. I'm tired of having stuff "walk away" during shoots.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I have printed labels with logo, address and all.

Fun fact: I made a (quite embarrassing) typo, and didn't realize till I had all my gear labeled.

Kind of a Homer Simpson "DOH!" moment.

...oh well
      Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 12-13-2015, 05:54 AM.
      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have 2 categories for labels: things that need to be read clearly (battery numbers, storage boxes, etc.) that get a printed label from a label-maker, and other items that just need to be marked as mine. For those I use marks like Stewart, either a paint pen or engraved marks.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Any recommendations on label makers? I was looking at the DYMO and Brady Inustrial label makers. Might be overkill for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by cmckinlay View Post
            Thanks for the input guys. Any recommendations on label makers? I was looking at the DYMO and Brady Inustrial label makers. Might be overkill for my needs.
            The Brother label makers are great, and often do cashback deals making them astonishingly cheap. You can also use knock-off refills to save cash, if you're that way inclined. Get one that prints 24mm labels to do big classy-looking title labels on your slates! I picked up mine for less that 30, and it was their top-of-the-line at the time.

Also I got these little Moo sticker books printed with my initials and phone number. Big, cheap, colourful, and you can stick them to everything. If nothing else, labelling your stuff is a good deterrent.

You can also use smartwater invisible tracking fluid on your primo stuff, but it remains to be seen how effective it is. Can lower your insurance premiums, though.

Comment

+1 for Brother label maker. I have the small handheld version that I bought for like $10 brand new.

I also use the good 'ole white gaff tape and black marker to label lens on the caps.
              http://www.somnangvann.com/
              https://vimeo.com/somnang

Comment

Working...
              X