Offered TV Work (Read for a laugh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by analog_addict View Post
    the BECTU rate for a TV news camera operator is 305 per day without gear. I'm offering this station half that rate with gear.
    ...exactly, you've just reinforced the point, it's about supply and demand. If there was demand for skilled operators and little supply you'd be able to stick to 305 and another 300 for your kit, but that's obviously not happening.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by markmwilliams View Post
      Yes and No.

I've been in many edits having to sift through some truly cackhanded camera work from people who can supposedly 'shoot' - and this is in a professional broadcast environment.

Just because the tools are cheaper doesn't mean that the craft cameraman is dead and you're not going to see some young gun who's owned a BMCC for 12 months lensing the next big hollywood feature.

As I said before, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And for some clients that's the way they'll go and either be satisfied with the substandard material offered or next time they'll know budget more. Occasionally they'll get lucky and get someone super talented who's going cheap because they're just starting out, but it's a law of diminishing returns and most of the time they'll get exactly what they're paying for.

On the supply and demand side, yes there's going to be more competition and rates may fall. But there will always be demand at the top end and the vast majority of those who are good will still earn a decent living. I don't think competition is a bad thing.

Simply put, years of experience developing your craft, a modicum of talent and pushing yourself to constantly be better than those around you will yield success, keep you in work and pay you a decent living. I think this is true of most professions in the world.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by markmwilliams View Post
        Just because the tools are cheaper doesn't mean that the craft cameraman is dead and you're not going to see some young gun who's owned a BMCC for 12 months lensing the next big hollywood feature.
        You did only tak onboard part of what I said - yes there is less investment, but also the kit is much easier to use and get good results. And in film days with a 10 minute roll costing 250 and not being able to see the results for a couple of days you really had to know that the operator knew what they were doing!
        Steve

Comment

Lol recently somebody was doing show for kpbs and asked me to do color grading 6-50minutes eipodes for only $400 hahaha Money is for nothing and chicks for free lol
          WWW.ARAMPHOTOGRAPHY.COM/

Comment

Lol recently somebody was doing show for kpbs and asked me to do color grading 6-50minutes eipodes for only $400 hahaha Money is for nothing and chicks for free lol
            Say yes, throw a LUT on it and bake them out!

Same story for Colorists, no one wants to take the time or spend the money, except at the higher end. Competition is fierce, as post houses don't need as many dailies film transfers to tape now, you just grade the final cut...less people needed for that.

So my solution is to buy a cheap BM camera and go to TV stations and undercut the regular DP's rates a bunch ;>)

I just remind myself that most people on this website are doing a whole lot better than a lot of people in the world right now, including me!
            If you want to make loads of dollars and have a hot career - I think VR will be the next big thing.
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085719/

Comment

Working...
            X