Flolight Microbeam 1024/800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flolight Microbeam 1024/800

Has anyone used these? I've heard a lot of good things about them, but it's very little hands on information out there.

Thanks in advance
    www.zacharycunningham.com
    www.vimeo.com/mythreeinitials

I've not worked with those specifically but when it comes to the lower cost LED panels I almost always find a lot of spill into plus or minus green. I just looked at a review of these and they turned on the light during the review (I don't know what they were doing with the color in camera or post) and I could very easily see a lot of magenta coming through the light.
    You can control the color with gels and color correction, you may have issues balancing to other lights though.
    Kevin Keller
    Dallas, TX Gaffer & DP
    KKeller.net

Comment

I haven't used the current models, but I have had issues with the Flo-Lights breaking in the past when we're powering them with external batteries that were rated to be compatible. The light quality is certainly usable, but you'll definitely need a host of plus/minus green gels to make it match daylight and other lights (which is a common issue with LED an fluorescent lights anyway, not a big deal). You'll also need to be careful with diffusing them, and I strongly recommend the wide/flood beams over the spot beams. If you don't diffuse the spot, you essentially get a thousand little spotlights on the subject, making some really strange micro-shadows.

I'm taking a break from LEDs, going HMI or fluorescent at the moment. Some of the new lights from Mole and ARRI look promising - the LED technology in the last two years has increased significantly.

Comment

Working...
      X