Clear All

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    somebody had some portable coollights but non dimmable
    would adding a dimmer be possible?

Leave a comment:

• Frank Glencairn
    replied
    Shop lights are not ideal, but if you are starting and on a budget, they are not THAT bad, with some frost and gels in front.
    I wonder why they got such a bad rap. They are not that much different from Lowels or some Arri open faces (light quality wise).
    And yeah, they don't have barn doors and non standard mounting hardware, but with some flags and grip you can work around that, till you can afford something better.

Frank

Leave a comment:

• Michael Carter
    replied
    Look up Cowboy Studio for biax flo units. Duals for well under $200, quads cheap as well. I own a couple and they're surprisingly tough.

The guys posting about work lights - if you want tungsten in your kit, keep an eye out for rectangular open-faced lights with barn doors. They're a popular theatrical fixture. Many of them take the shop light (skinny, pencil-shape double ended) bulbs, which are available from 100 to 1k and they re-lamp quickly, and those globes are cheap as heck. L&E, Mole, and Colortran show up on line often. Little workhorses.

Leave a comment:

• RyGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by StephenM View Post
    You can also buy real Kino Flo tubes for off brand fixtures that have poor quality lamps.
    Hey thats not a bad idea. Do you have any links to off-brand fixtures that could work, or are they normal florescent fixtures?

Leave a comment:

• StephenM
    replied
    You can also buy real Kino Flo tubes for off brand fixtures that have poor quality lamps.

Leave a comment:

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    did you use any other light on that shot?

Leave a comment:

• pcenginefx
    replied
    I own two of the CL-455PMD Dimming 4 x 55 watt Softlights from Cool Lights and love them. Used them a lot in my studio and on-location a few times and have had no issues with them so far. Example of recent shoot I did with one of the fixtures as a key light:

Leave a comment:

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    ah no worries, more info is useful
    i kept thinking that with the bmc the we do have leeway with the color though but mixing it with the gh2 might prove interesting
    has anyone else considered fluorescents under $1000?

Leave a comment:

• nickjbedford
    replied
    Originally posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
    haha
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Fresnel.html
    this barn doors?
    any reason why over a fluor?
    Well, the ARRI is merely a tungsten CRI 100 light for delicious skin tones. Fluoro needed for other things I guess. Daylight/softer by design. I'd rather have both anyway. Sorry, I'm getting a bit OT!

Leave a comment:

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    haha
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Fresnel.html
    this barn doors?
    any reason why over a fluor?

Leave a comment:

• nickjbedford
    replied
    i would definitely agree that they are cheap and very workable, a lot more if turned into soft light
    Definitely. Of course, if you have access to a barn door 150W ARRI, use that!

Leave a comment:

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    i would definitely agree that they are cheap and very workable, a lot more if turned into soft light

Leave a comment:

• nickjbedford
    replied
    had them and they are very hot and very hard, do you use them in your shoots?
    Well, I bounced it into a ceiling for a few shots, to be precise. Suggesting them because they are insanely cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
    I'd grab a few 100-250W work lights from your nearest hardware store as well. Cheap as chips, full colour spectrum (being tungsten). Can be had for 20 bucks (no stand).

I've used them as hair/fill with some baking paper to smooth out the reflector/cage, at ISO 640 f/2.8 1/100th (50p slow motion) and were just the right brightness for fill.
    had them and they are very hot and very hard, do you use them in your shoots?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    I think unless you're keeping them in a studio setting then you'll really want to go with the portables. From what I've heard they're really nice and light.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X