Lighting - How to get certain looks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
    What kind of bulbs are they using in those practicals? They'd have to be a decent wattage right?
    I'd suppose nothing that special really.
    Reading AC magazine, I realize how much these guys actually adapt from us little ones who are forced to do it all with much smaller and cheaper solutions. I keep reading from ASCs thrilled of having small daylight LED units 'which can be dimmed' and placed anywhere in a room so fast.

Comment

Those "rembrandt" window shots are an example of what I've posted a zillion times on DVX user... all those kids buying CLF softboxes from eBay don't understand how huge your soft source needs to be sometimes.

It's not usual for me to make a 12' high x 6' frame of c-stands and poles, and hang diffusion from it to the floor. Flood the back with light. It's nice & soft, even at a distance.

Sometimes you just need to (essentially) build a massive softbox. I keep yards & yards of white fabrics handy.

Comment

A nice acl blinder helps with these kind of shots, blown through a silk.

Comment

Great thread! I'm a big fan of Zack Synder's work and his visual style. Even though it wasn't a box office hit, Sucker Punch visually was one of the best movies I've seen as of late. The lighting is exquisite and the opening scene is just marvelous. Take a look.

instagram
          my work

Comment

That opening is very nicely constructed (would have worked great as a music video). I partly find what Snyder does as interesting and applaud him for visual storytelling but his scripts are always so poor. Sucker punch is a perfect example of stunning execution In a remarkably badly written story. Watchmen I really quite liked (as comic book films go), can't stand 300 despite it having interesting effects work, again I think the script let it down. Tarsem Singh and Zac Snyder have very similar issues, their visual storytelling is too strong for the story trying to hold it up. It ends up being a distraction.

Comment

I agree Tim. Visually stunning films but I realised they were mostly average in the script/story department

Comment

Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
                What kind of bulbs are they using in those practicals? They'd have to be a decent wattage right?
                Originally posted by Trevor Roach View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5815[/ATTACH]
                In a shot like this if the prac wasn't giving the desired look, I'd usually put a low watt bulb in it then rig something like a dedo up high and point it down to cheat the light source, making sure to flag it off the prac fixture so as not to give away the cheat. I've found it's often a much easier way to get control of the light as well as getting enough exposure for the shot if you're struggling.
                my grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Leuke View Post
                  In a shot like this if the prac wasn't giving the desired look, I'd usually put a low watt bulb in it then rig something like a dedo up high and point it down to cheat the light source, making sure to flag it off the prac fixture so as not to give away the cheat. I've found it's often a much easier way to get control of the light as well as getting enough exposure for the shot if you're struggling.
                  Oh yep. I can see the hair light from above (also on the lamp).

Comment

Working...
                  X