IRND 4x5.6 Tiffen vs. Skier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRND 4x5.6 Tiffen vs. Skier

Hello, I wanted to check and see if anyone had tested, used, seen footage, reviews, or anything on Skier IRND 4x5.6 filters. I have searched the net and I'm not having any luck. I have a set (.3 - 1.2) plus a pola at a camera house and it's coming in at 1500.00 I can get a set of Skier's for 600.00. Now I know you get what you pay for but it's worth checking because you never know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Bryant Mock
    MockSpeed Media
    www.mockspeedmedia.com

I just received my Skier Hot Mirror IRND 1.2 (4x5.65").

It works very well : no IR contamination and no noticeable color cast. It removes a little bit more than 4 stops of light, something more like 4 +1/3 stop.
    I don't have access to Tiffen or Shneider HM IRND to compare, but it seems to hold well. And they are significantly cheaper : around 160$ for one vs 550$ for a Tiffen filter.

Here's a few frames taken very quickly, just to test color cast, I will try to publish more serious tests later.
    (The purple flare on the filtered pic is from my lens fitted not deeply enough in the mattebox, please don't care.)

No_Filter.jpg

IRND_02.jpg

02_No_Filter.jpg

02_IRND.jpg

And a version with a Century Linear Polarizer added, acting as a .3 ND :

02_IRND+POLA.jpg
    Last edited by nicolas; 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Nicolas, did you make any more tests with the Skier NDs? They look very interesting so far!

Comment

No, no new tests, but I use my 1.2 all the time, often in front of other ND's (Tieffen classic ND's). I'm very satisfied with it. The strange thing is they don't seem to be available on ebay anymore...

Comment

are these test on the BMPCC or BMCC? The S16 sensor would be less sensitive than the MFT or bigger sensors. So I'm wondering how I should be scouting my set as well. I have the BMPCC. HOWEVER, IF I plan to go APS-C or Full Frame how should I go about finding the right kit for me?

Comment

Not to dredge up an old thread but I wonder if someone has shot these with skintones

Comment

Here's some skintones taken with the Skier ND :

01.jpg
              02.jpg

and a larger shot :

03.jpg

I find colors quite pleasing with the filter on (graded with film convert + custom LUT).

Originally posted by demoboyBMC View Post
              are these test on the BMPCC or BMCC?
              It's on BMCC 2.5K. A larger filter kit will last you longer (you can use it with more cameras and format).
              However it seems that ND's tend to react differently with different sensors...
              You can't be really wong with a good brand and the .3 to .9 range, though.
              Last edited by nicolas; 03-06-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Well that clinches it. I'm ordering these.

EDIT: FYI, there's a seller on ebay selling the full set (0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2) in 4" x 5.65" for $590 with free shipping. Normally they're $167/ea direct from skier, before shipping. So it's about $70 less with free shipping on ebay. I managed to score a 5% discount via the 'make an offer' button too.
                Last edited by willvincent; 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Can the full set be stacked or would it be better to just get the 1.2 and put non IRND's behind when higher nd is needed.

Comment

I'm waiting for my 4x4 IRND from Skier, finally can I get rid off the fader ND from LCW

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
                      Can the full set be stacked or would it be better to just get the 1.2 and put non IRND's behind when higher nd is needed.
                      I read somewhere that it was a bad idea to stack hot mirror filters... can't remember where, though (reduser ?). I use it the way you described : the Skier 1.2 in the front tray of the mattebox and regular ND's behind if needed.

Originally posted by Hampus Lager View Post
                      I'm waiting for my 4x4 IRND from Skier, finally can I get rid off the fader ND from LCW
                      Nice ! Let us know how you like it

Comment

I have also read that you can't stack "hot mirror" type filters, but it would be interesting to see what happens if you do, if anyone gets the whole set, I'd be interested in stack tests.

Comment

I'd love to see these stacked on the BMCC as well.

Comment

I've got the whole set on it's way. I'd need to coordinate with one of the local guys who's got a BMCC to shoot stacked tests, since I don't have a cam yet.

Comment

Originally posted by willvincent View Post
                              I've got the whole set on it's way. I'd need to coordinate with one of the local guys who's got a BMCC to shoot stacked tests, since I don't have a cam yet.
                              Awesome thank you for testing. I imagine you could do this test with any DSLR taking stills as well, just to see if you get weird effects.
                              vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Working...
                              X