Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.33x Anamorphot bokeh

Hey guys,

I've been testing a 1.33x SLR Magic anamorphot just so that I can see how close it gets to the anamorphic look. I'm shooting 16:9 with 1.33x desqueeze in the UM 4.6k, but the bokeh is stretching horizontally instead of vertically. I have the adapter aligned and the image is perfectly normal, except for the bokeh (which is hardly oval at all)...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok, after reading about it, apparently the slr magic anamorphot doesn't do the oval bokeh. A shame...

Anyone knows of a good adapter that gives that sweet anamorphic distortion and the oval bokeh?

Thanks

Comment

You won't get it with a 16:9 sensor and a 1.33x anamorphic converter. The oval bokeh comes from a 4:3 sensor (or film gate) and a 2x converter.
      The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

Originally posted by catscratch View Post
        You won't get it with a 16:9 sensor and a 1.33x anamorphic converter. The oval bokeh comes from a 4:3 sensor (or film gate) and a 2x converter.
        Yes, I thought so. The Ursa Mini has a 3k anamorphic for 2x desqueeze. Maybe the slrmagic anamorphot 2x?

Comment

It's still a 16:9 sensor. I don't know if the Ursa mini provides a 4:3 crop but you won't get the full resolution advantage that comes with full frame 4:3 and 2x anamorphic lens. You're probably better off going down the anamorphake road if oval bokeh is your major concern.

Comment

The ursa mini has a 4:3 crop option for anamorphic, and works great.

Best way to capture that anamorphic look you describe is to get a 2x anamorphic lens imo. I really don't like those SLR anamorphot lenses. Ugly flares, and soft.
            You could either rent, or go for the DIY route. For my own personal little projects I have a Leica-r 50mm taking lens / Kowa 16H scope / Rectilux hardcore DNA as single focus system and it's giving me lovely results!

And you really don't need a 4:3 sensor for a 2x anamorphic. I got no problems shooting anamorphic on my Arri amira, I'll just shoot 3.2K 16:9 and crop off the side's in post. I monitor with a smallhd so I can see a cropped image. Not Ideal, but it work fine.

Comment

Yes, but again in either case you lose resolution, which I would rank as a higher priority than oval bokeh.

Comment

Anamorphic is not only about oval bokeh. It depends on what anamorphic lens you use, but it has a certain characteristic you can't get with spherical lenses. You love it or hate it.
                Theres still plenty of resolution! Last week I watched a screening in a theather with some of my arri amira and anamorphics, looked great!

Comment

https://vimeo.com/358683692 Atlas 2x lenses

https://vimeo.com/328850481 Cooke 2x anamorphic lenses

I shot these idle tests both with my Ursa mini pro G1.

Looks good to me. Resolution isn't everything...and the 3k upscales to 4k just fine.
                  Darren Scott
                  Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Yeah, my search for an anamorphic adapter is mainly to get the typical anamorphic distortion. Oval bokeh and flares are a cool bonus. But my camera is Ef so I need an adapter or projection lens. Any suggestions for an affordable 2x adapter? The Kowa seems hard to find.

Comment

You could try this:

https://www.rapidotechnology.com/products/full-package

They are also selling a kit with a schneider cinelux 2x. This is a more budget friendly solution instead of the rectilux route.

Comment

How does the Schneider Cinelux 2x compare to the Isco Micro Red 2x? The Rapidotech + Schneider would be ideal for me because it's in Europe, so no custom fees for me to pay. But how does it compare to the Isco?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by david evans View Post
                          How does the Schneider Cinelux 2x compare to the Isco Micro Red 2x? The Rapidotech + Schneider would be ideal for me because it's in Europe, so no custom fees for me to pay. But how does it compare to the Isco?

Thanks!
                          I've heard, but could have been incorrect, that they're both fairly similar (with advantages to one or another). The anamorphic group on facebook is probably one of the most comprehensive resources.

Either one will give you a great combo!
                          www.lightformfilm.com
                          https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Working...
                          X