BM viewfinder smoothness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BM viewfinder smoothness

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me if there is a way to reduce the stuttering/stepping of the Blackmagic Viewfinder (EVF)? Its quite annoying panning, and wondered if it will work smoother with some setting change. Cheers Paul Jones
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

www.paulrossjones.com

Hi Ross.

There's no way to increase the refresh rate on the EVF unfortunately, (some other cameras / EVF's do have that feature)

I think it's what happens when you look at straight 24P / 25P displayed as 24p/ 25P.

Great work by the way, really beautiful.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
      Hi Ross.

There's no way to increase the refresh rate on the EVF unfortunately, (some other cameras / EVF's do have that feature)

I think it's what happens when you look at straight 24P / 25P displayed as 24p/ 25P.

JB
      Thanks John!

I notice the viewfinder says 24fps even when the camera is set to 25fps- not sure if this is causing it. I might try project / camera settings at 24fps and see if it still does it. cheers Paul
      Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Comment

Hi Ross.

JB

I tested the viewfinder at different camera frame rates and the evf looks better at 50-60 FPS. Very smooth in fact.
        So is there a way to send 60fps to the finder but not record st this?
        Cheers paul
        Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Comment

No, not that I am aware of. The front SDI outputs a 1080p HD signal at the camera set frame rate. You could see if the front SDI will output 1080i?
          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by paulrossjones View Post
            I tested the viewfinder at different camera frame rates and the evf looks better at 50-60 FPS. Very smooth in fact.
            So is there a way to send 60fps to the finder but not record st this?
            Cheers paul

No that’s what I was saying.

Some cameras have a feature that offer you a choice to have a faster refresh rate. On an Alexa it’s the “smooth motion” option in the EVF .

But not here in this case unfortunately.

JB

Comment

No that’s what I was saying.

Some cameras have a feature that offer you a choice to have a faster refresh rate. On an Alexa it’s the “smooth motion” option in the EVF .

But not here in this case unfortunately.

JB

Thanks for your help John. I hope they can add this in a firmware upgrade.

Cheers Paul
              Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                No, not that I am aware of. The front SDI outputs a 1080p HD signal at the camera set frame rate. You could see if the front SDI will output 1080i?
                Cheers
                Theres an 1080i button on the front SDI menu, but its greyed out and doesn't work. will the interlaced feed fix the steps?

cheers Paul
                Last edited by paulrossjones; 09-14-2019, 11:49 AM.
                Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Comment

Yeah these are the kinds of reasons you don’t see a G2 on bigger shows. It’s not that the pictures aren’t up to it, it’s operational differences like this that make it harder to choose a G2 as an A camera.

JB

Comment

Yeah these are the kinds of reasons you don’t see a G2 on bigger shows. It’s not that the pictures aren’t up to it, it’s operational differences like this that make it harder to choose a G2 as an A camera.

JB
                    Other options are there though. Zacuto being the best IMO. My gratical works great with it. I mean productions have to rig out cameras with all sorts of things so an evf is just another thing on the list.
                    Darren Scott
                    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Working...
                    X