Hazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazers

Can anyone recommend a decent/good budget hazer that one can purchase? I'm finding the need to purchase one instead of rent.
    Last edited by jambredz; 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

We brought one recently but i've only used it for a few still shoots so far so can't recommend it yet without more usage (especially on moving image shoots). It has mixed reviews online but it's a 'budget' one and most of the bad reviews come from people using much pricier options.

http://avsl-qtx.com/product/160.450UK

We shot these 2 stills using it as promo images for a new Sony (NZ) artist and it worked well without any hassle (it supposedly won't set off fire alarms too and in one location we used, that seemed true but i would still be paranoid):

We've shot more with it but we're not allowed to post them yet.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

thanks Captain. I'm also looking on this http://www.farralane.com/store/p-326...hine-700w.aspx

Seen some decent reviews of it.
      Darren Scott

Comment

They cost. But the DF50. It's a workhorse for a reason.

JB.

Comment

Wow, I checked it out.. but that's pricey!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
            They cost. But the DF50. It's a workhorse for a reason.

JB.
            Holy grail of hazers! Hey John, when working on a professional set with haze in play, is there almost always a single guy dedicated strictly to rangling the haze?
            director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
              Holy grail of hazers! Hey John, when working on a professional set with haze in play, is there almost always a single guy dedicated strictly to rangling the haze?
              Yikes Holy Grail is right. I'd be renting sumn like that....but I do want a personal one for my personal projects. I really love the feel it gives to some scenes and really want to play around with beams of light more in my films (non work stuff). So A decent lower end one (pricewise) is what i'm aiming for.
              Darren Scott

Comment

For small spaces and light use I've used Haze in a Can with good results.

Comment

I've only ever considered the DF50 as a rental item too for that price.
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Po
                    Originally posted by Tim Joy View Post
                    For small spaces and light use I've used Haze in a Can with good results.
                    I just did a show with a lot of sensitive locations. Haze in a can can save your arse but it can be expensive to maintain the level.

JB.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
                      Usually stand by props guys / girls carry these on board their trucks. They usually charge dailies for em but on some shows you want them all the time. I got stung recently by a guy who said he had a hazer And it said "haze" on the front of the machine, but it was just a smoke machine with a built in fan.

There are different reactions that happen to the fluid. Smoke machines heat up and vaporise the fluid. Hazers "crack" the fluid under pressure and you get a totally different and more sublte texture.

The most difficult thing is maintaining the haze levels once it's established and that's why it's good to have it be the responsibility of just one person.

The smart guys get a remote 240v wireless trigger(from any electronics store) and then they can carry the fob remote around with them. So then I can take it myself around my neck or let the standby or standby Assitant do it but they can also be doing other work as well.

I love good stand by props guys. My favourite guy has all sorts of "dust" he can fan into the air as well. Feathers which work great as "pollen" for outdoor romantic scenarios.

JB.

Comment

The links are cheap party fog machines with a fan - results get nowhere near a real Hazer that works completely different.
                        I have a LeMaitre Hazer - love it! Got it used from Ebay for 350 bucks. I use it on almost any indoor shot if I can and the fluid lasts forever (like 150 hours from one bottle).

http://www.lemaitreusa.com/productIn...KeyProduct=185

Edit: Ah, John beat me to it.
                        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Great thread. Learned a lot about hazers here!
                          director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

Another thing I learned a while ago about haze and fog is that you should be mindful of what type of smoke detectors are around. The optical sensing ones that are in newer buildings and dorms etc will be set off by haze and fog. I got the fire dept to show up at a dorm we were staying at for a 48hr film fest. Ha ha. Oops. Midnight excitement anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Joy View Post
                              Another thing I learned a while ago about haze and fog is that you should be mindful of what type of smoke detectors are around. The optical sensing ones that are in newer buildings and dorms etc will be set off by haze and fog. I got the fire dept to show up at a dorm we were staying at for a 48hr film fest. Ha ha. Oops. Midnight excitement anyone??
                              There are two types of smoke detector.

One is based on detecting carbon and is the much cheaper, usually mildly radioactive type...Smoke and Hazers don't set these off.

The other is an optical / density type...these will be set off by Smoke and haze machines...

jb

Comment

Working...
                              X