Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Meter Calibration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Damn. I knew something was wrong with the default. That was shot with pocket 4k raw the waveform was Raw. It might be because im using the cheaper sekonic lightmeter
    My Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jsfilmz View Post
      Damn. I knew something was wrong with the default. That was shot with pocket 4k raw the waveform was Raw. It might be because im using the cheaper sekonic lightmeter
      There's no such thing as a raw waveform. The raw file was either converted to log or rec. 709 (or other display standard), depending on your settings. in the raw tab. Which is it? I don't think the cost of meter makes any difference, the sekonic should be reliable, but it may (like any meter/camera combination) require adjustment.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jsfilmz View Post
        Here is with a -1 offset on the light meter. This is better than the default right? This is more like middle grey and not the other?
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27319[/ATTACH]

        Here is the rec 709 version of the -1 offset in the light meter.

        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27320[/ATTACH]
        Theres possibly some user errors going on. The rec 709 shouldn't be creating such a blue cast, keep in mind shifting the white balance drastically will alter the exposure values of the wave form, but the exposure is correct for the -1 offset. Once you remove the cast the key light is between 40-50% IRE which is in the right ball park for your skin tone, but who knows how your lut is remapping middle grey. How exactly are you taking the readings and what are your meter settings, and how are you filming the grey card?

        Comment


        • #19
          Yea sorry for not knowing the proper terms but what i meant was i left it at Raw in the camera setting tab. I think im going to leave it at -1 because its the closer to middle grey than the default 0. I pretty much held up the grey card in front of my face then placed it down after a couple of seconds.
          My Youtube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

          Comment


          • #20
            Since you have more of a 3/4 side light, did you angle the grey card towards the key light? If you want to be more precise, do a front light over camera for the test.

            Comment


            • #21
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]
              Shot on veydra 35mm at a 2.8. My sekonic 758 lines up really well for log on the p4k.

              Definitely try a front light when your testing charts.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rze View Post
                Since you have more of a 3/4 side light, did you angle the grey card towards the key light? If you want to be more precise, do a front light over camera for the test.
                rze how could i light meter for the shot below? i usually just have the dome facing the camera and i put the meter below my mouth by my chin. is that the right way or should i face the dome towards my key instead of the camera. i hate deer lighting. i want mood. thanks in advance

                shot.jpg
                My Youtube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jsfilmz View Post
                  rze how could i light meter for the shot below? i usually just have the dome facing the camera and i put the meter below my mouth by my chin. is that the right way or should i face the dome towards my key instead of the camera. i hate deer lighting. i want mood. thanks in advance

                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]27324[/ATTACH]
                  Face the dome towards the key. The way I do it is that I use incident readings for key lights and fill, and spot meters for background exposure readings. Then you don't need to worry about the spot being a reading for exposing for middle grey. For your moody style, regardless of the color of the background your going to be looking for a spot reading 2-4 stops down from your key light depending on how moody. You don't seem like a backlight guy, but because of the law of cosines its a little difficult to meter. I'll usually go off a monitor I trust for fill and backlight levels since their the most delicate for low key cinematography, but if you want to use the meter, run tests for backlight with incident reading matching the key, then 1 stop up and 1 stop down and see what you like. Also for low key cinematography, 2 or even 3 stops down for key lights is totally acceptable, you just allways need your backgrounds to be under the key light.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by rze View Post
                    Face the dome towards the key. The way I do it is that I use incident readings for key lights and fill, and spot meters for background exposure readings. Then you don't need to worry about the spot being a reading for exposing for middle grey. For your moody style, regardless of the color of the background your going to be looking for a spot reading 2-4 stops down from your key light depending on how moody. You don't seem like a backlight guy, but because of the law of cosines its a little difficult to meter. I'll usually go off a monitor I trust for fill and backlight levels since their the most delicate for low key cinematography, but if you want to use the meter, run tests for backlight with incident reading matching the key, then 1 stop up and 1 stop down and see what you like. Also for low key cinematography, 2 or even 3 stops down for key lights is totally acceptable, you just allways need your backgrounds to be under the key light.
                    Rze thanks man. In that shot my bg was about 2.5 stops under. I dont have any flags and im in a tiny ass room so i cant get it to drop anymore. Thanks for the tips man. Ill save up for some decent light meter hahaha
                    My Youtube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Is this under exposed? I dont have a good monitor. I just want to know what you guys are seeing. I love low key lighting so bad and im trying to learnunder_1.1.1.jpg.
                      My Youtube Channel
                      https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        And this one is much lower.

                        My Youtube Channel
                        https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jsfilmz View Post
                          Is this under exposed? I dont have a good monitor. I just want to know what you guys are seeing. I love low key lighting so bad and im trying to learn[ATTACH=CONFIG]27363[/ATTACH].
                          You can also use a waveform in davinci, your key is in the low 40s where you should probably be 45-50 so its slightly underexposed, but by so little that its a non issue. Plus if you like the way it looks you exposed correctly.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by rze View Post
                            You can also use a waveform in davinci, your key is in the low 40s where you should probably be 45-50 so its slightly underexposed, but by so little that its a non issue. Plus if you like the way it looks you exposed correctly.
                            Rze i cant live without the waveform hahaha. When you tell me its in the 40s are you looking at the highlights on my face? The brightest part?Thanks man sorry with all the questions. I really need to invest in a calibrated monitor
                            My Youtube Channel
                            https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Where do you guys aim a spot meter on the face? The forehead?
                              My Youtube Channel
                              https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X