Advice - another shooter asking for credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice - another shooter asking for credit

Trivial dilemma... I shot a doc style project last year. I wasn't available to cover one of the days, so hired someone else to cover. His shots were fine, but only a few made it in. Perhaps 15 seconds in 12 minutes. As a side note, the client was disappointed with him during the day.

He has contacted me and asked to use the film as an example of his work. I'm not particularly fussed about this kind of thing, but his contribution was so minimal and any reference to the film would seem to give unfair credit. At the same time, I don't want to make life difficult for him or start nit picking.

Just to stress, this wasn't at a scale where we agreed credit, etc. He was paid a day rate and I held the contract with the client. Perhaps that was a mistake. I'm just curious to hear thoughts from others who might have been in this situation.

Me personally - I'd give him a clip of his 15-seconds and say "you're clear to use this, but ONLY this as portfolio material, and you can't claim THE PROJECT as 'an example of your work' with such a small contribution."
    After all - 15 seconds is only 2% of a 12-minute piece.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

it's an opportunity to save him a bigger issue in the future. be straight. don't worry about feelings.
      instagram
      my work

Comment

I agree with both Dane and Kofa
        Darren Scott
        Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

As DP and Mr. Kofa state, and Darren.

Just be straight with him. It is his only real way to improve his work product and ethic.

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            Me personally - I'd give him a clip of his 15-seconds and say "you're clear to use this, but ONLY this as portfolio material, and you can't claim THE PROJECT as 'an example of your work' with such a small contribution."
            After all - 15 seconds is only 2% of a 12-minute piece.
            +1. If this does not work to an agreement, I suggest that you remove the 15 seconds of clip and do away without it. It will save you from future trouble that he could cause you and money from having to hire a lawyer.

Comment

I have done several shoots that resulted in less than 30-seconds being used. I got paid, did not expect or receive any additional credit.
              When you are an employee, your work belongs to the employer, same applies here.
              Cheers

Comment

If you use his clips, no matter how small, you should rightfully credit him as "Additional Photography".

Comment

Working...
                X