Gimbal time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimbal time!!

Hey guys! So I'm new to the gimbal world. I do mostly narrative work and need it for walk-and-talks and things like that. I have a Pocket and a BMCC. I thought I'd just get a small gimbal in the $1000 range and fly my pocket.... but I figured if I'm investing all this money, I'll just pay a little extra to fly the BMCC as well. But I don't wanna pay too much, cuz I'm poor and broke.

What do you guys use/recommend? And I'm not afraid of cheapo Chinese ripoff brands.... as long as it works!

DJI's Ronin M can fly both. I sold it because I intended to use a gimbal only for the Pocket and bought a Zhiyun Crane instead.
    Now I regret having sold the Ronin M (they get cheaper all the time 2nd hand) as I sold the Zhiyun Crane again which did not perform as good as the Ronin M.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

What I don't like about Ronin M is the weight. Imo it restricts you creatively because every round adds up over time and exhausts you. I have a Beholder DS1 and fly a Pocket with Speedbooster and medium weight lens, which allows much longer work time and way easier travel. It also performs just as good as a Ronin after correcting the PID settings, which I think should apply to the mentioned Zheyun Crane as well (which I'd now prefer over the Beholder DS1). Those one hand gimbals aren't the holy grail as well due to ergonomics though. You will soon find you want two handles. I think some come with additional handles. Also you will probably need to mount an external monitor somewhere.

Bottom line from my experience: the heavier the setup (camera, lens, accessories and gimbal itself), the less you will use it.

Comment

Originally posted by stip View Post

Bottom line from my experience: the heavier the setup (camera, lens, accessories and gimbal itself), the less you will use it.
        preach on.

i have a Beholder EC-1 that really doesn't get used anywhere close to how much it should be. i like the way it looks and handles, but it's kinda heavy once i have it rigged up with the dual handles, kinda no fun to set up, annoying to put down and grab again. I would rather have a glide cam of some sort available when I need that sort of look.

gonna try to use it more, i swear but y'all may be seeing in sales forum soon.

Comment

Working...
        X