BMPCC or Micro Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMPCC or Micro Cam?

In short a friend of mine and myself have been talking about shooting a scifi/thriller short for awhile now, and we decided to pull the trigger and start writing and prepping everything so next spring we can start shooting. We have decided on using a super-16 camera and Digital bolex is out of the equation so we are left with either a pocket cam or a micro cam. I know the Micro is a newer camera and I can't find a lot of footage shot with it at the moment so I am looking for a reason to go with the micro or a reason not to. The two things the micro has that I like are a larger battery and 60 fps but I'm not sure that is enough to justify rigging something to high hell to make it work.

Any Input would be great!

Thank you.

well, if i was in your shoes id get the micro. though i cancelled my micro order way back in the day and re-bought a simplified pocket set up, no cage, just a grip and 3 kiev lenses and a hoodman.

but, im not shooting a short with it, im shooting little b-roll pieces.
    if it was my A camera id have a better monitor rigged to it anyway, and if you need any slow motion in your story then done deal, the micro.
    after the monitor, then each camera will have to be rigged the same way to your liking or what your shoot entails.
    hope that helps.
    this is from a big pocket forever fan.

Comment

I had a Pocket, they are real fragile, and need to be handled carefully, they benefit from a cage to not only help protect them, but to give HDMI and power cable connections some reinforcement with a cable clamp system. They have a great image however, very nice. The built in monitor is next to worthless, however, hard to see, a loupe helps but makes the image soft looking (it is a low res screen).

I sold my Pocket to get the Micro Cinema, same sensor, but an improved video processor, and sensor readout time has been increased to reduce rolling shutter issues, like skew. It a,so adds 1080p60 frame rate with the new processor. It has a larger battery, full size HDMI and power ports, adds video reference in and other remote control features too. You need an external monitor with the Pocket anyway, so same with the Micro, which allows you to have a monitor and/or EVF of your choice. I have both.

That said, I prefer the Micro over the Pocket, more robust in construction. The Micro also has a closer tolerance MFT mount, the Pocket MFT mount tended to be looser fitting to the lenses, which is a big issue for me. The only issue with ththe Micro over the Pocket, is the Pocket camera had a "Pres to focus" button for native auto MFT lenses, and control buttons were on the back or top. On the Micro, no "push to focus" which is OK, as I use manually focused lenses anyway, and the Iris control (for auto MFT lenses) and Menu buttons are on the front facing Side, with the Start/stop button on the top.

Good luck with your projects.

Comment

If you're planning on using the camera for personal use after the short I would suggest the pocket, it's more versatile. Strictly for short film work I would go with a micro, on pro shoots the pocket will have to be rigged up anyway, so the micro has the advantage with the option to use a nice monitor and shoot in 60fps. Someone here posted footage of a boxer a little while ago, shot on the micro, it looked fantastic

Comment

Shot a feature with the Pocket, and I liked it quite a bit. But it did require a degree of rigging to get it to be easily usable. The in-camera batteries go really fast and are a moderate pain to change out, and I used an external, camera-mounted monitor almost all of the time. If I were making the decision right now, I'd probably go with the Micro over the Pocket.

Comment

One thing that was just brought to my attention and is now an option. Buying new a kitted out red one mx with a Nikon mount for 4-5k rather than a Bmpcc/micro. I get that it is 8 years old and a frickin tank but the image is still good and I have lenses that will work with it and slow motion is something that we want to use a little of.

Comment

If you're going big why not the BMCC?

Comment

Originally posted by blutarski View Post
                If you're going big why not the BMCC?
                It's on the table as an option as long as I can kit a kit for the same price as a kitted out red one mx or maybe a little less. The Bmcc doesn't do may slow motion though and having at least 60p would be really nice for other work past this film.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Red One MX, though it is a tiny bit heavier than the Pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Paige View Post
                    Nothing wrong with a Red One MX, though it is a tiny bit heavier than the Pocket.
                    Just a smidge heavier, yes

Comment

Also, a BM Ursa Mini 4K EF (use EF adapters on your Nikon F lenses) would be in the price range of $4-5K, and has a nice image IQ, and you get rhe slow motion too.
                      Cheers

Comment

That is what I've heard haha. If the weight isn't an issue (I'm guessing because it isn't on my shoulder at the moment) but it is a downsize the pocket had always looked really good to me and has been a camera that I have wanted for awhile. Who knows maybe I'll just buy a pocket as a B cam/family movie camera so that way all needs are met. And besides it's just another 700-800$

Comment

Originally posted by Jihrie View Post
                          That is what I've heard haha. If the weight isn't an issue (I'm guessing because it isn't on my shoulder at the moment) but it is a downsize the pocket had always looked really good to me and has been a camera that I have wanted for awhile. Who knows maybe I'll just buy a pocket as a B cam/family movie camera so that way all needs are met. And besides it's just another 700-800$
                          OR you buy the pocket camera and spend the rest of the money on things like lenses, production design, sound design, lighting, etc.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

I have a lot of that covered already I have been on a 5d2 since they came out and have just not bothered upgraded but this is the first of hopefully many short films we are planning to do and I want to up my camera game. I think that I am pretty sold on an red one kit and a Bmpcc as a B cam

Comment

Originally posted by Jihrie View Post
                              I have a lot of that covered already I have been on a 5d2 since they came out and have just not bothered upgraded but this is the first of hopefully many short films we are planning to do and I want to up my camera game. I think that I am pretty sold on an red one kit and a Bmpcc as a B cam
                              I've got a friend who has shot a feature length documentary (still in post on it) with that same combo and he rather liked how the two cams fit the different filming situations he found himself in.

Comment

Working...
                              X