Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice...

Comment

• I got mine in about a week and a half ago. I've already used it on a commercial shoot. Completely sold on this unit.

As a note, I had to flip the rail block around so that I could tuck the gear in a little more for the Veydra lenses.

Thanks again for the review, Vic!
      Aaron Lochert

Comment

• i'm just not having much luck here. on my second S5 and while this one doesn't have an iota of the backlash that the first unit had, the barrel in the gearbox isn't centered on axis as it turns, so the attached gear's contact with lens isn't consistent. after lining it up, it will either drift away or start pushing into the lens. is this out of the ordinary for anyone else. hesitant to go back to them yet again, but it's hard to imagine using it like this. especially when it pushes against the lens, making it harder to turn, and you can see the frame move too. the first unit I had didn't do this. but that had severe backlash. i don't know... will the third time be the charm or should i just send it all back?

EDIT: as expected, customer service is unmatched. sent them a video of the new issue and they're sending me another replacement. I hope this one is free from defects. would have loved to use it for a shoot this weekend.
        Last edited by Zak Forsman; 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM.
        DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
        THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Comment

• They have good customer service surely will take care of you. My one works like a champ continuously using it.
          Look pretty decent on F3 setup with 60T gear. Love it.
          11212776_832080923551009_4610071039142162615_n.jpg

Comment

• I'll add my voice to the chorus. I bought the S3 and despite the issues highlighted in this thread I was really happy with it. When the improved S5 came out a month later I was a little bummed though. Lo and behold Lensse go the extra step in after sales service and offer me a fantastic deal on the S5 as an existing customer an early adopter. For the price I've paid to have two double sided FFs with a case and everything, this is nuts. I'm a real big fan of this company. Unfortunately I didn't need anything else off their website otherwise I would definitely have bought something more. Between their customer service and engineering, it certainly makes it easier to loosen the purse strings.

I can't wait to see what they offer next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egg Born Son View Post

I can't wait to see what they offer next.
              Vic's ND filter wheel
              Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Comment

• all right, i'm done with this thing. just received the third S5 and it has the same issue as the second. anyone else seeing this with theirs? The gear spins with an offset so it either drifts form the lens or pushes into it.

I've gone through three of these now.

1ST - Had Backlash, Gearbox Driveshaft aligned perfectly
                  2ND - No Backlash, Gearbox Driveshaft not centered
                  3RD - Again No Blacklash, Gearbox Driveshaft not centered

The first unit I received didn't have this problem, but had backlash that seemed equal to the S3 in Vic's review video. The person I spoke to at Lensse has been apologetic and really great to deal with. They also said they agreed that this was a defect and not typical. But they also said they tested 20 units before sending me this third one. Sadly, I think I'm just going to ship it all back for a refund.

EDIT: worth noting with regard to the rotation offset is that I've tried this with three different versions of their 42T gear with no change. pretty sure it's the gearbox since the first unit was fine.
                  Last edited by Zak Forsman; 05-07-2015, 03:06 PM.
                  DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zak Forsman View Post
                    all right, i'm done with this thing. just received the third S5 and it has the same issue as the second. anyone else seeing this with theirs? The gear spins with an offset so it either drifts form the lens or pushes into it.

The first unit I received didn't have this problem, but had backlash that seemed equal to the S3 in Vic's review video. The person I spoke to at Lensse has been apologetic and really great to deal with. They also said they agreed that this was a defect and not typical. But they also said they tested 20 units before sending me this third one. Sadly, I think I'm just going to ship it all back for a refund.

EDIT: worth noting with regard to the rotation offset is that I've tried this with three different versions of their 42T gear with no change. pretty sure it's the gearbox since the first unit was fine.

sucks to hear Zak. You should keep the last one and get the gearbox from the first... I kid. If you are looking elsewhere, I have the shoot35 V3 follow focus and its solid! I know its not US300...it works out to be about US$462.00...but you can add another wheel on the other side also. Its a really really good unit for a good price, i love mine. They also have a lower end (more budget friendly) one which I have no experience with.

https://vimeo.com/86165123

Darren Scott
                    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

• Originally posted by Zak Forsman View Post
                      all right, i'm done with this thing. just received the third S5 and it has the same issue as the second. anyone else seeing this with theirs? The gear spins with an offset so it either drifts form the lens or pushes into it.

Yeah that's a bummer. I didn't have that problem on either but QC problems don't happen on cheaper end products. Got my Graticals in today. One is bad. Power button gets stuck inside the body and HMDI doesn't work. They're already sending out another one so it's no big deal to me.

Comment

• Motorised it? Spins really fast Your setup is little shaky too the screw moves little bit which on right side.
                        Yeah before i got something similar. it has gone away after used couple times as advised. They told me that using something like rubber bumpers inside of the gearbox to provide zerobaclash those needs time. Now it is fine
                        Last edited by jimbaran; 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                          ... Got my Graticals in today. One is bad. Power button gets stuck inside the body and HMDI doesn't work. They're already sending out another one so it's no big deal to me.
                          Vic, pick me up off the floor. Reality check. Maybe I should question one of my life tenets before it's too late: "If you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?" -- from South Pacific.

Comment

• can you post a video showing the rotation of your gearbox? I would love to see a sample of one that initially had this problem but is working as intended now. I've followed Lensse's instructions on how to break in the gearbox, but it didn't solve this issue.

Originally posted by jimbaran View Post
                            Motorised it? Spins really fast Your setup is little shaky too the screw moves little bit which on right side.
                            Yeah before i got something similar. it has gone away after used couple times as advised. They told me that using something like rubber bumpers inside of the gearbox to provide zerobaclash those needs time. Now it is fine

Comment

• Mine has a wee bit of off axis rotation like that, Zak, but nowhere near as severe. In fact I doubt I'd have noticed it if you didn't post your video which made me wonder "Hrmmm. I wonder if mine does that, too?". It does, but only around 15-20% as wonky as yours. I'd never had mine lose close contact with the lens ring teeth or push hard enough into the lens to cause image shift, which is why I never noticed it. Bummer for you. 3 units is a lot to go through only to have the same problems.

Comment

• thanks this looks great! was planning to buy the upcoming arm extension from Lensse anyway so the price isn't all that different. can you use the same wheel on either side? or do they only fit specifically to the side they're made for?

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
                                sucks to hear Zak. You should keep the last one and get the gearbox from the first... I kid. If you are looking elsewhere, I have the shoot35 V3 follow focus and its solid! I know its not US300...it works out to be about US$462.00...but you can add another wheel on the other side also. Its a really really good unit for a good price, i love mine. They also have a lower end (more budget friendly) one which I have no experience with.

https://vimeo.com/86165123

Comment

Working...
                                X