Super35 Sensor
    Global Shutter
    Up to 15 Stops Dynamic Range
    High Speed at Full Resolution
    Cinema DNG Raw Recording
    Well below $10,000 Target Price
    CrowdFunding This Year

http://apertus.org/en/node/152

A good ways off, but interesting... Thoughts? Vaporware?
    Last edited by Steven R Sanzo; 07-10-2012, 11:03 PM.

I've been following up on these guys for a couple of years now, since elphel, the main guy sebastian is super sincere and very down to earth. I wish them the best, wouldn't really call them a company in the sense that they're after your dollars as a bottom line. My opinion only though, it was after all a really open source thing in the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Kandil View Post
      I've been following up on these guys for a couple of years now, since elphel, the main guy sebastian is super sincere and very down to earth. I wish them the best, wouldn't really call them a company in the sense that they're after your dollars as a bottom line. My opinion only though, it was after all a really open source thing in the beginning.
      I used elphel cameras since 2005, it enabled us to film in HD long before proper HD became affordable, In recent times elphel have diverted to 360 setups (they produced the streetview cameras for Google at least early on). Sebastian has kept the flame burning for a open source film camera though & now looks like he is very close to his dream..
      New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

Comment

Can't wait to see the interface, the reason I couldn't really go all the way is I needed a java programmer at the time for the interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven R Sanzo View Post
          Super35 Sensor
          Nope

Sensor:
          The camera uses an Aptina CMOS bayer-pattern sensor with an optical format of 1/2.5" (5.70mm x 4.28mm) (From the Apertus website)

Damn!

That camera has (almost) everything I ever wanted, but the sensor size is a deal breaker.

Frank
          Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think you missed something, the other information on the Apertus web-site is about the current Elphel camera, not the upcoming Apertus Axiom.

http://apertus.org/en/elphelcamera
            Haavard Helle

Comment

Yeah, that sensor is in Elphel, not Axiom.

Comment

You guys are right, I looked at the wrong camera.
                Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yep. Been looking at this project for quite sometime, though progress has always been in baby steps, I wish them all the success.

As for the Axiom's sensor, I don't think they've released that info. It seems they're still preparing all the details for their Kickstarter campaign. We may not see this camera for a year or two.

Comment

Question. How would you record 4k DNG uncompressed? 2k DNG pushes current media speed limits pretty hard. You are looking at moving four times the data.

Comment

Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
                      Question. How would you record 4k DNG uncompressed? 2k DNG pushes current media speed limits pretty hard. You are looking at moving four times the data.
                      You could do it with 2 SSD's in raid 0 using sata 3, as opposed to the bmcc which I believe uses sata 2 technology for recording to one SSD.

The Crucial force GS looks fast ... http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd/force-...ard-drive.html

Comment

Screen-Shot-2012-07-12-at-20.13.34.jpg

I have to say I love this concept image. Looks so simple, sturdy and modular. Otherwise the only thing that really excites me about it over the BMC is the global shutter and high frame rates.
                        fluoro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fluoro View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]290[/ATTACH]

I have to say I love this concept image. Looks so simple, sturdy and modular. Otherwise the only thing that really excites me about it over the BMC is the global shutter and high frame rates.
                          Yes it looks like the SI-2K camera head, but a 4k version instead

Comment

Seems pretty neat, Hope it does well.
                            Tom Pierrepont - In-house Camera Operator and Editor (UK)
                            @Tompierrepont
                            www.tompierrepont.com

Comment

I'm curious about the 15 stops. Looks like there are different modes for DR. Could be like Red's HDRx. Or like BMC's rolling shutter mode and how it increases DR when not in global shutter mode. Or could be something like Panavision's Dynamax sensor, which massively oversamples images, but has 3 sections of pixels that operate at different analog gains and has 100db range, which is about 33 stops.

Comment

Working...
                              X