Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Andrew. I've noticed I have a tendency to key on the right side, actually.

    Must. Break. Habit!
    Nah, it all depends. No right or wrong way, just what look you prefer for the shot. Good luck with the shoot tomorrow.

    Sorry for getting off topic, but wanted to share this blog.
    http://evanerichards.com/posts

    This guy posts hi-res images from films. It's a good way of studying the overall look of different films and lighting and composition of scenes.
    www.motionplaces.com
    andrewjulian

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
      There's a good resin geeing the "dark" side of the face close to camera works. It held to infer shape and modelt eh subject. When you key from the camera side it tends to flat tern everything out. Which can be nice if you're trying to be kinder to someone, but generally, lighting from the far side will yield better looking results.

      Humean vision is an amazing thing and we pick up a LOT of information subconsciously from the way light falls on subjects. You can infer or "sense" the texture of a surface without touching....but how ? It's the way light AND SHADOWS fall across it. we can tell if something is rough or smooth without touching it.

      So the "darkness" or shadow from lighting gives the viewer important visual cues about the *shape* of things. Remember, we're predominantly shooting for a 2D medium. We want to give our viewers as many cues as we can to infer a sense of depth beyond the 2D image plane of their TV or screen.

      We can do that with lighting, and by using shadows to infer the shape of something (modelling). You can also add colour or colour contrast as well to that.

      We can do it with camera movement to induce parallax, where an object in FG move at a different rate to an object in the BG....This infers DEPTH to the scene). We're used to parallax all the time...think of travelling on a highway. Something on the horizon travels at a relatively slow speed, while fence posts fly by faster than you can percive.

      We can do it with focus itself and depth of field, to guide the viewer to where we want them to look and to take away visual distractions.....

      Theses are all ways we can create a sense of 3D from 2D images...or really 2.5D...;-)

      So back to lighting from the far side and keeping the dark side closer to a camera. You'll start to organise you staging around it..staging being how you position your cameras relative to the actors or subjects.

      You'll then start to design shots so that you can have the subjects favour their keys and you can determine WHERE to put the key based on the space you have an where you can put the camera to GET them to look to the light side of their key....

      The LEAH clip is an example of NOT doing this. She's keyed from the "onside" of her face. The far side is more in shadow. Now this happened for two reasons. Firstly, it's part of a longer sequence where she walks into the shot from about 120 deg camera left. So I would have had to put hey key right in the middle of the shot. So i was forced by the staging to put the key on the onside of her face. I could moved her around so that she was facing left to right instead at the table, but then I would have been looking into a darker corner. I wanted to look at that lighter corner because that's where the sun was streaming in and we wanted to show off the DR...so we ended up having to light her from the onside..... The trick when you do this is to then get some contrast back into the image so it at least has some "balls". From memory, on her close up i may have introduced some negative fill ( a4x4 floppy) on the camera left side to make her offside seems bit darker and again get some modelling in. So the lighting changed in the CU from the wide. I couldn't very well re-light her and move the key because it would never cut, but we can and DO cheat on cu's...

      jb
      That... was... awesome. thank you.

      I've also read about alternating shadow/highlights. So using Nick's grab as an example, a common practice would be to make the far right side lit, then shadow on the camera side of his face, then key on the opposite side of the face, then shadow. So the pattern would become: dark, light, dark, light. I forgot where I read it but it's a technique that many types of artist use, from painting, photography, film, etc.

      This could be like arguing about camera angles, and which one is the absolute best, but maybe a helpful technique for reference. Or I could just have made that up thinking I read it somewhere haha!

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
        That... was... awesome. thank you.

        I've also read about alternating shadow/highlights. So using Nick's grab as an example, a common practice would be to make the far right side lit, then shadow on the camera side of his face, then key on the opposite side of the face, then shadow. So the pattern would become: dark, light, dark, light. I forgot where I read it but it's a technique that many types of artist use, from painting, photography, film, etc.

        This could be like arguing about camera angles, and which one is the absolute best, but maybe a helpful technique for reference. Or I could just have made that up thinking I read it somewhere haha!
        I think maybe you're thinking of chiaroscuro ? This is a painting technique which is easily and often emulated by cinematographers. You take the same ideas as describe above and THEN add to that by lighintg the OPPOSITE tone in FG or background. So where the dark side of someone's face is, you light the background BEHIND them. Or on the light side of their face, you make the BG behind them darker....then had something darker in the FG etc....it's about lighting into the scene with depth...again...another way of inferring a 3D image....

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro

        jb

        Comment


        • #94
          Thanks John!

          Always good to know why things are done the way are. Much appreciated.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
            That... was... awesome. thank you.

            I've also read about alternating shadow/highlights. So using Nick's grab as an example, a common practice would be to make the far right side lit, then shadow on the camera side of his face, then key on the opposite side of the face, then shadow. So the pattern would become: dark, light, dark, light. I forgot where I read it but it's a technique that many types of artist use, from painting, photography, film, etc.

            This could be like arguing about camera angles, and which one is the absolute best, but maybe a helpful technique for reference. Or I could just have made that up thinking I read it somewhere haha!
            Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
            I think maybe you're thinking of chiaroscuro ? This is a painting technique which is easily and often emulated by cinematographers. You take the same ideas as describe above and THEN add to that by lighintg the OPPOSITE tone in FG or background. So where the dark side of someone's face is, you light the background BEHIND them. Or on the light side of their face, you make the BG behind them darker....then had something darker in the FG etc....it's about lighting into the scene with depth...again...another way of inferring a 3D image....

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro

            jb
            Definitely my favorite way to light.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
              I think maybe you're thinking of chiaroscuro ? This is a painting technique which is easily and often emulated by cinematographers. You take the same ideas as describe above and THEN add to that by lighintg the OPPOSITE tone in FG or background. So where the dark side of someone's face is, you light the background BEHIND them. Or on the light side of their face, you make the BG behind them darker....then had something darker in the FG etc....it's about lighting into the scene with depth...again...another way of inferring a 3D image....

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro

              jb
              Yup that was exactly it. Thanks.

              Comment


              • #97
                I missed your post earlier John. It's full of good info. Thanks!

                I found some reading material for later. Thanks RyGuy!
                http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream...pdf?sequence=1
                www.motionplaces.com
                andrewjulian

                Comment


                • #98
                  This turned out to be such a great thread and some fantastic work too.
                  Tom Pierrepont - In-house Camera Operator and Editor (UK)
                  @Tompierrepont
                  www.tompierrepont.com

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    We shot this in Alaska over 2.5 days, edited for another 2.5 for a showcase in town. From concept to completion was 7 days. Shot on the RED Epic at 5K. Not a huge fan of the grade we did, we were out of time and our grading system kept crashing. Enjoy!

                    Comment


                    • Well, it won't be for a few weeks that I get to shoot the performance for my first music video, but here's some frame grabs from the narrative that I shot over the weekend. Really happy with it

                      It's about a break up. I'm cutting and grading it all in Final Cut Pro X.















                      Last edited by nickjbedford; 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Here's the trailer for a Action feature we're just about to wrap shooting. We shot it mostly on the FS100.

                        https://vimeo.com/44358378
                        Attached Files
                        director reel

                        11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

                        Comment


                        • Okay, so these aren't moving pictures, but I attended Comic Con in San Diego last weekend and took a lot of portraits of the cosplayers and some indie comics creators.

                          Here's a sample:IMG_0112.jpg and IMG_0115.jpg.

                          You can view the whole gallery at http://parttimefanboy.com/?p=504. Thanks!
                          http://lightpix.tumblr.com

                          Comment


                          • To keep the thread going and OT, here is our film entry for a 48 hour local film competition on Oahu. A topic, line of dialogue, and two props that you must use are given and you have 48hrs to write, produce, and edit the film... so excuse the poor production quility, we only had a crew of three. We won first place for this little one, and are going to rewrite and reshoot this on a Scarlet in LA for larger film festival entries.

                            Shot on our now gone AF100. Mic was the beautiful Sanken CS3e, but I believe that the poor pre-amps on the AF100 ruined the quality.

                            Topic/genre: Satire
                            Line of Dialogue: "I thought I got a great deal"
                            Props: A spork and tape

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
                              To keep the thread going and OT, here is our film entry for a 48 hour local film competition on Oahu. A topic, line of dialogue, and two props that you must use are given and you have 48hrs to write, produce, and edit the film... so excuse the poor production quility, we only had a crew of three. We won first place for this little one, and are going to rewrite and reshoot this on a Scarlet in LA for larger film festival entries.

                              Shot on our now gone AF100. Mic was the beautiful Sanken CS3e, but I believe that the poor pre-amps on the AF100 ruined the quality.

                              Topic/genre: Satire
                              Line of Dialogue: "I thought I got a great deal"
                              Props: A spork and tape
                              Haha, that was great. The truth is revealed!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
                                Haha, that was great. The truth is revealed!
                                Thanks! I was the one that got the milkshake in the face. She wasn't supposed to to let the cup go, but it slipped out of her hand LOL!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X