• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony's 4K Handycam and HXR-IFR5 4K Interface Unit prototypes eyes-on

dsc03181.jpg
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/s...rototypes-eye/

xavc video

Comment

Perhaps this should go in the off-topic section?
      www.peterdv.com
      Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

ok sorry

Comment

Thanks for posting nonetheless.

Comment

What the hell is the point of a 4K Z1? - This is shitty. Isn't it time that the big boys moved away from producing such deliberately crippled and (expensive for what it is) crap.

Adam
            Adam Jeal
            Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
            www.acoustic-space.com
            www.static-film.com
            www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
              Perhaps this should go in the off-topic section?
              Peter, sorry but perhaps you should leave the mod work to the mods. I love your posts but i am getting tired of this pseudo-mod thing. Let them do their job.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Jeal View Post
                What the hell is the point of a 4K Z1? - This is shitty. Isn't it time that the big boys moved away from producing such deliberately crippled and (expensive for what it is) crap.

Adam
                So when 4k hits mainstream, you think that all cameras should be s35? What about doc work, wildlife, hell even a wedding? ridiculous to think otherwise...

Comment

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a 4K VG-xx model, if not this year, in 2014. That would be interesting.
                  Last edited by Tzedekh; 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustylense View Post
                    So when 4k hits mainstream, you think that all cameras should be s35? What about doc work, wildlife, hell even a wedding? ridiculous to think otherwise...
                    No I don't. I just think that these type of cameras are a poor value option nowadays. I don't see the point in spending 3,000 to 5000 on this kind of unit anymore. It's always the same inflated prices for incremental upgrades.
                    Adam Jeal
                    www.acoustic-space.com
                    www.static-film.com
                    www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Comment

No I don't. I just think that these type of cameras are a poor value option nowadays. I don't see the point in spending 3,000 to 5000 on this kind of unit anymore. It's always the same inflated prices for incremental upgrades.
                      I assuming by these kinds of cameras, you're referring to ENG type cameras? if so, I couldn't disagree more so, but that's probably just because my use/purpose for a ENG styled camera compared to yours is apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
                        I assuming by these kinds of cameras, you're referring to ENG type cameras? if so, I couldn't disagree more so, but that's probably just because my use/purpose for a ENG styled camera compared to yours is apples and oranges.
                        I have various shooting needs. It's the pricing models more than the actual cameras themselves - nothing against ENG cameras per se - you pick the right tool for the job. I do think that there is room for a good ENG camera in Sony's lineup that maybe follows similar design to the V series (without the moire, jello problems and hobbled firmware) so long as they make it more robust (There were loads of problems in that regard). All I meant was that I believe that the majors have to innovate more at these kind of prices. Stuff like releasing the FS700 and making a big deal about it's 4K capability - It's pretty much a non-starter due to the cost of the camera and the 4K recorder. For the combined cost, you are maybe better off investing in an F5. You can argue that the main selling point of the 700 is the added frame rates, but still..

I don't know. My attitude towards owning cameras has changed considerably in the last few years. I think the Canon C series pricing is insane. The C300 should be the price of the C100 and the C500 should be about a grand under the cost of the C300. If they did that and got rid of the C100 it would be more reasonable. Personally speaking, The BMCC made sense to me - but most others only do as rentals.
                        Last edited by Adam Jeal; 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM.
                        Adam Jeal
                        www.acoustic-space.com
                        www.static-film.com
                        www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Comment

fs700 + $2000 is not the price of an F5(maybe close to half). was released before the F5, people have been using the fs700, F5 is not released yet, ...etc. both would require the recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Amr Rahmy View Post
                            fs700 + $2000 is not the price of an F5(maybe close to half). was released before the F5, people have been using the fs700, F5 is not released yet, ...etc. both would require the recorder.
                            EDIT: Erm, try FS700 + $2000 HXR-IFR5 Interface unit THEN a AXS-R5 $5000 recorder = FS700 + $7000

What I'm getting at perceived value for what you spend. In my mind, It's a bit of a fudge getting the FS700 if you are intending on 4K. I believe the money would be better spent towards an F5. As far as the FS700 goes, I feel that the FS100's current pricing offers better bang for the buck.

The F5 and the F55 are the most significant changes to Sony's pricing policy that we have seen yet. At these price points they are giving people far more than they ever did before. For too long they have all been about protecting their market segmentation and offering only incremental changes. Arguably, the change is down to RED.
                            Last edited by Adam Jeal; 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM.
                            Adam Jeal
                            www.acoustic-space.com
                            www.static-film.com
                            www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Comment

So HD to 4k is an incremental upgrade now? LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X