How 'bout that Zoom F6?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 'bout that Zoom F6?!

The specs for Zoom's new F6 are out of control. It sounds to me like they've neatly packed 20 pounds of field mixer into a 5 pound body. 32bit float recording and Sony L battery power are standout for me. My Tascam DR-100, even though it's been tough as a tank over the last 8 years, is on it's last legs, so I do believe I'll be picking this up when it ships.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...udio-recorder/
    -Tim Crowe
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/crowedunk
    Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/timcrowe

I don't know enough about audio recording to comment much, but from the article, sounds like 32 bit is...extremely cool? What was the barrier to this before, if all softwares accept it? Seems like 32 bit recording would especially be a godsend for one man band/small productions, too.

Comment

Just like with video, larger bit depth files require more processing horsepower. It may be that various A to D converters, processor chips, and storage media are finally able to keep up with the 32 bit float at a reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks, Kurt. Very cool.

Comment

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of the Zaxcom Nomad that a friend of mine uses. Just much smaller and, hopefully, much cheaper.
          -Tim Crowe
          Instagram: www.instagram.com/crowedunk
          Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/timcrowe

Comment

I'm still in awe every time I take my Mix-Pre 3 out into the field.

Comment

Interesting what they're doing with the F6.
              www.lightformfilm.com
              https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

I've been thinking about the F6. The idea that the bit depth is so high you con ride audio in post is interesting. Really ticks a lot of boxes. But I don't understand why they have not included balanced high gain outputs. To reliably send audio to other devices seems a must. It would be so much more complete… and it keeps the F6 in the Prosumer market. Just a little more moves it into the Pro arena. Anyone else thinking this?

Comment

Working...
                X