No announcement yet.

Ia Stu Maschwitz working with the BMC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ia Stu Maschwitz working with the BMC?

I have been following this man for years now. He is personification of the indie movies revolution and an amazing insight on our industry.
    If you don't know him, you can check his post on prolost.com

He started his career in ILM proving that effects could be done on simple Macs, he wrote the DV rebel's guide and he founded the orphanage.
    And Canon trusted him with one of the early C300 around.

So I was thinking loud to myself. This is the guy that posted not once but twice about the Digital Bolex but since the BMC news came out, he has been strangely silent.

Looking back at his tweets, one might think he is or reviewing or working with BMD on their new camera.

Recentely he wrote:
    "Working on it guys! RT @mattepainter: @5tu Thoughts? blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/"

This is one of his latest ones:
    "Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I still love you—I've just been shooting. I'll say more when I can!"

This is pure speculation, I know... But isn't it what we do here everyday?

I really don't understand all the secrecy. The camera's been announced publicly at NAB and is two months away from the published ship date. Many of us have put money down and pre-ordered. What's up with this "I'll say more when I can" nonsense. Say more already and post up some files for folks to look at and work with.

Did anybody record anything at NAB? Did BMD even allow an SSD in the booth?
    Last edited by mhood; 05-10-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

It might be that he is just shooting something else for some hollywood studio. But yeah... it's pretty close to be officially sold.

Comment

Interesting thought Zoomp. I follow his blog too, and was expecting some sort of write-up from him following the announcement of the BMC. It does feel a bit strange that he's been silent on one of the biggest camera announcements in some time.

I guess we'll see.
        www.motionplaces.com
        andrewjulian

Comment

Originally posted by mhood View Post
          I really don't understand all the secrecy. The camera's been announced publicly at NAB and is two months away from the published ship date. Many of us have put money down and pre-ordered. What's up with this "I'll say more when I can" nonsense. Say more already and post up some files for folks to look at and work with.

Did anybody record anything at NAB? Did BMD even allow an SSD in the booth?
          I guess it's just how they do things, or at least how they are handling this product. I think I heard that it was a late July release, so it's closer to 3 months away. I'm sure we'll see plenty before they ship, and you'll have time to cancel your pre-order if you don't like what you see.
          www.motionplaces.com
          andrewjulian

Comment

^^^ not me...it will cost me $200 to cancel my pre-order. And I heard early July. Let's compromise and call it 2.5 months. I can hardly w8! ;-)

BUT, I do wish a few of our well known pixel peepers could look at files and establish workflows. Don't you?

Comment

^^^ not me...it will cost me $200 to cancel my pre-order.
              Really? You don't get your deposit back? Damn. . .
              Tom Pierrepont - In-house Camera Operator and Editor (UK)
              @Tompierrepont
              www.tompierrepont.com

Comment

^^^ Nope, as I understand it, I'm in the top ten at Omega Broadcast Group in Austin, Texas and the deposit is non-refundable.

Comment

^^^ not me...it will cost me $200 to cancel my pre-order. And I heard early July. Let's compromise and call it 2.5 months. I can hardly w8! ;-)

BUT, I do wish a few of our well known pixel peepers could look at files and establish workflows. Don't you?
                  Workflow is gonna be the same as it is for any other raw system. Wouldn't worry about it if you've worked with RAW before.

Those who haven't will probably underwhelmed by how very simple it is, and unimpressed by the extra time it takes.

As far as Stu, I noticed last week that he hasn't posted ANYTHING about it, and I came to the same conclusion: he's trying to evaluate the camera or has been speaking with BMD since release.

IMO if I were a tech blogger I'd probably do everything and anything in my power to be associated with this thing out of the gate. Not saying that's exactly what Stu is doing for sure, but I wouldn't blame him.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                  Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

^^^ Nope, as I understand it, I'm in the top ten at Omega Broadcast Group in Austin, Texas and the deposit is non-refundable.
                    I've been told late July by CVP in England, I wonder if we'll see a staggered release! I don't mind too much either way.

Also to add to the thread, I do home Maschwitz is working with BMC. I've read a lot of his articles, his book and the videos he did for FXPHD. Nice guy.
                    Tom Pierrepont - In-house Camera Operator and Editor (UK)
                    @Tompierrepont
                    www.tompierrepont.com

Comment

The thing that strikes me is that BMC is almost all that he has been idealising for years on all his comments about the 5D etc. So, I guess he is at least talking to them. But I know he was almost green lighting a project in hollywood to direct. So, let's see. But if I were BMD, I would hire this guy. This is the guy that proved that you need no Flame or inferno to do fx, only after effects would do. So, this is in his blood. From desiging colorista to writing the book, he has been always the guy that could do it cheaper with the same quality.

I love his work on "The Host". Joon-ho bong is great.

Comment

I think he's busy with his project for a Hollywood feature film (no idea on what stage it is in, but I remember a "hooray" post maybe a year ago)

and I think his tweet about the BMC means "I'm very busy right now, I know I have to blog about this, I'm trying to find time for that, but also have more important things that need to be done, so wait patiently"

after years of writing and reading "stop worrying, go out and shoot", it shouldn't be so hard to believe someone has actually done that

edit:
                        BTW, if somebody here doesn't know who Stu Maschwitz is and what he writes and talks about, now (as you wait for your shiny new camera to arrive in a few months) is a great time to watch all this interview:
                        http://www.macvideo.tv/editing/inter...icleid=3212651
                        http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-techno...icleId=3213230
                        http://www.macvideo.tv/motion-graphi...icleid=3219946
                        http://www.macvideo.tv/motion-graphi...icleid=3227613
                        My YouTube channel

Comment

I actually didn't know he was working on a feature, straight.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                          Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

That's right... I'm there in the top ten, too.

Comment

I don't always agree with his position on things, but I respect him and if he is involved... good.

Comment

Working...
                              X