URSA mini alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Directedbyembryo View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but not new to this "What should my next camera purchase be" discussion. I am most likely going to purchase the Ursa Mini 4.6K more or less because it's hard to find something that can match it in that price range, but I have some good experience using the Sony FS7 and I can say with confidence that camera can produce some absolutely amazing images. I recently shot a music video with the Sony FS7 using only available natural light (no bounce/reflectors). I shot the entire video at 180fps in 1080p (with a few Phantom 3 drone shots). I've read a lot of people saying Sony's image is too video-ish and not cinematic. I am hoping this footage proves that wrong. I think the footage can be incredibly cinematic, it comes down on how you expose and post coloring. Here is the video https://vimeo.com/170180163

Hope this helps in some way.
    Turned out great! So no lights or bounce on the last few sunset shots? What's the DR on the FS7?

Comment

Last I checked the new Red's won't be readily available until sometime next year now. So hopefully there will be fixes for the 4.6 well in advance of being able to get a Raven or Scarlet W. I still wouldn't get one hoping for a fix though, be prepared to work around limitations or pass.

Comment

Well, as of now, the only alternative to the Ursa mini is the Ursa mini itself. There seem to be a trend with the 4.6K. But that also depends on who you asked. There's a small production house just the outskirts of Irvine CA who just got rid of their Ursa Minis (4K and 4.6K) so cheap it sold like hot cakes as they are replacing them with Reds (that's according to them). Yesterday, I got a couple of Canon "L" glass for less than 700 and leaving in a moment to see if I can get there in time to get the last UM4K. Hopefully it is still there when I arrive. Damn, I should have just bought it yesterday but the guy was not throwing a bone so I walked away. Win some- Lose some... or maybe not.

Comment

If the Ursa mini 4K wasn't an ISO 800 only camera I would have gotten it in a heart beat. But I frequently shoot events with my BMPCC with speed booster at ISO 800 & 1600 and that is barely working. So a camera that is worse in low light is not an option for me.
          Vimeo profile
          VFX Showreel
          IMDB

Comment

It's barely even that...native ISO is 400 on it. Every model I've tried @800 was full of lines in every lighting condition besides when filming outside.

Comment

Just got back home from Irvine after a 2.5 hours of driving in Crazy I5 and 405 traffic. Sadly I got there and missed the mini 4K. The jerk didn't even hold it for just another hour. He sold it with the v-mount and shoulder kit for 1700. I would have given him a couple hundred more.

Maybe that was a blessing in disguise as I have some concerns about the ISO that Norbro and forsaken expressed above but the price was right and I was determined to buy one today.

Comment

That's a bummer, but maybe it wasn't meant to be.

The 4K is great @400, just like the BMPC. It's just @800 that the 4K sensor has constantly showed the FPN, at least for me. But that's nothing new...everyone always said to shoot @400. Either way, there is no doubt you can produce beautiful images with it. The regular URSA was once my favorite camera.

Comment

probably better to wait it out. I still have hope that BMD will come up with a fix for the 4.6k soon.
                  Vimeo profile
                  VFX Showreel
                  IMDB

Comment

Thanks TheInternet! Sorry for such a late response. We used no bounce or lights in any of the shots. The DR is supposed to be 14 stops. You also get an extra stop with the Metabones E to EF Ultra Speedbooster Adapter.
                    IG @directedbymbryo
                    www.directedbyembryo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X