Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had problems with Wasabi Power batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had problems with Wasabi Power batteries?

Hi Folks! So I bought a SmallHD 701 Lite monitor a couple weeks ago and I thought it'd be awesome to have a couple of long-lasting Sony-style batteries from Wasabi Power to keep it going all day long. So this is the combo that I went with and it was working great in the beginning.

Yesterday, I decided to update the monitor to the new firmware that SmallHD just released. I followed their instructions to a T, but here's where it gets weird... When it came time to power the monitor on, I put one of my brand-new Wasabi batteries in its sled on the back of the monitor, powered the monitor on, then while the monitor was already on, I slid the second of the Wasabi batteries into the other sled and the monitor immediately shut down.

The monitor will no longer power on, with any power configuration (LP-E6 or Sony-style batteries) and none of the advice from SmallHD support has remedied the issue. Fortunately, the monitor is new enough to have B&H replace it, but I wanted know if anyone else out there has had any similar issues with Wasabi Power batteries.

Or does anyone think this was just a lemon monitor?
    -Tim Crowe
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/crowedunk
    Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/timcrowe

I have a boat-load of Wasabi Power batteries in 5 different formats. Never had any problems with any of them.

Good stuff if you ask me.
    Oh...heh, you just did.

If you have problems with more than one type of battery on it - then that sure sounds like the monitor..
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Not to Contradict you mate, but Wasabi was nothing but a headache, Year after year, that I gave myself trying to save a few bucks.
      Now, that being said, I only ever bought their Canon knockoff Batts. After a couple shoots, They lasted 1/4 of the time my normal Canon or PRO batteries, and then just quit working about a year later. I kept buying them (Cause they were cheap and got the job done), thinking it was normal wear and tear, but then I replaced all of them with Canon Brand Batts about a year ago, and haven't had a problem since. Maybe you can get away with them if you aren't powering anything that sucks a lot of voltage, but saving the quick nickel will cost you the slow dime.

Comment

I use the Wasabi batteries mostly on 7" field monitors and on LED panels. (Aputure Amaran) Both LP-e6 and Sony NP770/970 style.
        But also have them for my Canon T2i which gets a lot of use as a stills camera so the Wasabis are getting charged and recharged pretty frequently. No issues yet...

I've certainly heard of folks having the sort of bad results you describe with 3rd party batteries, but the Wasabis seem to get universally better reviews than most of them. Maybe I've been lucky. Hard to really know. I had one $70 Panasonic OEM battery that lasted less than 1/4 as long as the one that came with the camera.

I find batteries to be untrustworthy characters in general. I always look at them with side-eye.
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Working...
        X