DJI Osmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJI Osmo

That ticks a lot of boxes, especially when you already have an Inspire with the new MFT raw camera

Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Looks pretty cool.

Is it a thousand dollars again?

I'm having a very hard time justifying the expense of DJI stuff when it only takes their camera.

I admit their hardware is really really good and useful.
    But thus far I am still finding that, aside from making these new 1-handle stabilized rigs REALLY SMALL, - the price seems to end up coming close to a used Pocket Camera with a lens (or a GH4 or other smaller dslr I can put MY lenses on) and a full-blown steaycam rig with an arm and vest.

Until I can throw much bigger money around - I can't find a stabilization system for full size camera that comes close to the cost of a steadycam/vest set. Which ALWAYS works for me, and works very well....yeah, they're just bigger and you attract attention - but the function is still the standard.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

That is pretty cool. They really are putting a lot of thinking behind how to extend their gimbal tech.
      Adam Roberts
      www.adamroberts.net

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
        Is it a thousand dollars again?
        I think I read somewhere that it's $649. But that it also works with the larger X5 Pro and X5 Raw, which makes it even more impressive. We'll see how well the X3 compares to a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and how well Osmo compares to other small 3-axis gimbals. Seems like a good price considering it comes with the X3 (I think).

Comment

OK, this X5 looks like a whole entirely higher level camera.

My very first thought is: "Can't I just put an 'L' shaped handle on this thing and use it hand-held?"
          The specs on it at the B&H site are still pretty slim since it's not released yet.

That's like the price of a Panny G7 4k with a typical 1-handle gimbal - but it's MADE to work together and DJI has a killer track record - so there's going to be near-zero fussing with the whole system. Turn it on and shoot.

Or am I missing something about this X5 hardware?

Oh, and MICRO SD cards? Really? Those things are reliable at these bit-rates?
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            OK, this X5 looks like a whole entirely higher level camera.

My very first thought is: "Can't I just put an 'L' shaped handle on this thing and use it hand-held?"
            The specs on it at the B&H site are still pretty slim since it's not released yet.

That's like the price of a Panny G7 4k with a typical 1-handle gimbal - but it's MADE to work together and DJI has a killer track record - so there's going to be near-zero fussing with the whole system. Turn it on and shoot.

Or am I missing something about this X5 hardware?

Oh, and MICRO SD cards? Really? Those things are reliable at these bit-rates?

Yeah, the X5 Raw looks great. Until you notice the price. Then you might as well get 5 Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cameras for the same price.

It's microSD, not SD? Wow. I haven't kept up with microSD cards - do they have UHS-I or II versions yet? If they do, then that should be fine, otherwise, hmm...maybe for the Pro, but not, I think, for the Raw.

Comment

Since the osmo will apparently support the zenmuse x5, I wonder if you could mount the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera on it...?

Comment

When you already have a Inspire with the raw camera, you can buy just the gimbal.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro, and the images are not ready for primetime or any pro work, because of the extreme compression.
                So I'm hoping for the x5R now, which sounds pretty promising. But yeah, need to buy a Inspire for it.
                Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                  When you already have a Inspire with the raw camera, you can buy just the gimbal.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro, and the images are not ready for primetime or any pro work, because of the extreme compression.
                  So I'm hoping for the x5R now, which sounds pretty promising. But yeah, need to buy a Inspire for it.
                  This.

The current crop of DJI 4K cameras (excluding the $8K Inspire Pro Raw) all have a bitrate at 60Mbps. If your target platform is web based, you can generally scrape by with this. other than that, no dice. Also, be careful with DJI as their customer service is less than optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by tyger11 View Post
                    Yeah, the X5 Raw looks great. Until you notice the price. Then you might as well get 5 Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cameras for the same price.

It's microSD, not SD? Wow. I haven't kept up with microSD cards - do they have UHS-I or II versions yet? If they do, then that should be fine, otherwise, hmm...maybe for the Pro, but not, I think, for the Raw.
                    The X5R records to SSD, the X5 and X3 use microSD. That gives some hope that the X5R might be a capable camera, but man, are they expensive! I know $5k for 4K raw WITH a gimbal isn't a bad deal, but I've managed to do a lot of great work without a gimbal...

Comment

My question is: does anyone know about power for the unit? I know the handle has interchangeable batteries, what about camera? Or does this battery supply both gimbal and the camera?

Comment

Started a FB DJI Osmo user group:
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/595833487223538/

Comment

Working...
                        X