Second Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Camera

We are about to upgrade our second camera and I was looking for any input. Our main is a BMCC 2.5k. It handles the majority of our needs. When we shoot interviews we of course like to have a second camera to cut to. I've been very happy with the BMCC thus far (only had 5 or so shoots with it though) so the pocket camera jumped out to me immediately. The other cameras we are considering are the 5dmiii and Gh4. But Mainly I think it would be between the BMPCC and Gh4 We take some photos, so those to are appealing in that aspect but that's not our main concern. I have a 6d personally that I can use for photos if needed. I like the gh4 giving us 4k and slow motion. 5d would be great pictures and from what I've seen the raw looks pretty good. The pocket cinema would be nice to match cameras of course and I like what I've seen from them. It would also be a small perk to get davinci because we purchased our BMCC used and it didn't come with. There is a lot on the internet about these 2 cameras so I've definitely been reading up. I just wondered if anyone here wanted to way in. Thanks

My partner and I have used the BMCC and Pocket in conjunction very well for over a year. Footage matches excellently, in fact. Because of the recent developments at NAB you may be able to pick up a used Pocket pretty cheap now...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
      Because of the recent developments at NAB you may be able to pick up a used Pocket pretty cheap now...
      That's what I was thinking too haha. Do you do any slow motion? We don't do much, but I feel like we can't do any

Comment

I have been using the BMPCC as a B-cam for interviews with the A cam being either an EX3 or BMPC. I LOVE the pocket cam. Works really well in this scenario and it's light which is nice for the slider.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sour View Post
          . It would also be a small perk to get davinci because we purchased our BMCC used and it didn't come with.
          You don't get full Resolve (a dongle) with a Pocket (or the Micro). Resolve Lite is free to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wake View Post
            You don't get full Resolve (a dongle) with a Pocket (or the Micro). Resolve Lite is free to everyone.
            Good to know. I hadn't looked into it I just assumed it came with all. I've been using lite thus far and have mixed feelings. Excited for 12 though

Comment

The 2.5 and Pocket color match easily. The pocket is a no brainer since you have the 2.5. Get Resolve Lite for free off the BM site at the bottom of this page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...esolve/compare

BM 1.jpgBM 2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sour View Post
                That's what I was thinking too haha. Do you do any slow motion? We don't do much, but I feel like we can't do any
                No we usually don't do slomo. Our last documentary feature we used a GH2 for slow mo for the end credits sequence. It would be nice if BM could add 60fps on either the cinema or pocket but it may not be technically possible...

Comment

If you want global shutter or 60fps then go for the Micro Cinema Camera! Otherwise, get the BMPCC for cheaper.

One way to look at it is what do you want this second camera to do:
                  a) match up very well and easily to your BMCC
                  b) be a complementary camera, which covers the weak areas of the BMCC

i.e. matching B cam vs complementary camera to "fill in the gaps"

If the first one, then go for BMPCC or BMMCC.

If the second one, and you want something other than covering the areas of global shutter and 60fps (which is the weaknesses the BMMCC would cover), then go consider LX100 / GH4 / NX1 / PXW-X70 / A7s / etc (depending exactly on what weaknesses of the BMCC you want to address)
                  https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

At this point, I'd go with the Micro Cinema, unless a ridiculous deal on the pocket pops up. Being able to use Canon LP6s, global shutter, and 60p (rolling shutter tho), is a steal for this camera at $995.
                    instagram
                    my work

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. The one thing that makes me hesitant on the micro would be the lack of a display. I like the idea of having run and gun capability with the pocket. But of course the micro opens the door to a lot of cool opportunities that the pocket would have a harder time accomplishing. I think it all just boils down to what IronFilm is talking about. I need to decide what goal I really want to accomplish with the second camera. Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                      X