BMPCC used as B/C-Cam on Clint Eastwood's "American Sniper"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMPCC used as B/C-Cam on Clint Eastwood's "American Sniper"

Just saw the behind the scenes on Clint Eastwood's latest film "American Sniper" (shot on the Alexa XT) which looks stunning and a very solid film (as all of his films) and spotted the BMPCC in one of the shots used as B or C-cam, or just getting an extra angle here and there.

Here's a screen grab from the B-roll:

Screen shot 2014-12-24 at 23.35.27.jpg

and here's the B-roll footage from "American Sniper": http://youtu.be/38u_E_epexo?t=2m13s

IMDB lists only the A-cam - which is an Alexa XT, but this makes me wonder - What other Hollywood movies have used the BMPCC/BMCC as B/C-cam? I recall the Expendables 3 used BMCC's in some scenes.
    Last edited by k0bayashi; 12-24-2014, 01:40 PM.

Just saw it last night at RealD and for the love of me I wouldn't even know different cameras were used. Great find.

Comment

this is not B-unit, it is positioned as a "witness cam" for VFX

Comment

Originally posted by cikaziva View Post
        this is not B-unit, it is positioned as a "witness cam" for VFX
        Thanks for the clarification. I'd though it was there just to get an extra shot hre and there but for VFX it makes sense, never thought of that. It's so small and such high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
          Just saw it last night at RealD and for the love of me I wouldn't even know different cameras were used. Great find.
          This film will make a great double bill with the Hurt Locker. I can't wait to see it ones it gets a wide release in the UK next month, it just looks flawless. For a man that does so few takes and such great films, Clint Eastwood just knows how to make everything look epic good.

Comment

Originally posted by k0bayashi View Post
            This film will make a great double bill with the Hurt Locker. I can't wait to see it ones it gets a wide release in the UK next month, it just looks flawless. For a man that does so few takes and such great films, Clint Eastwood just knows how to make everything look epic good.
            Though I dare to veer off on another tangent, personally I hated Hurt Locker. The writing was god awful and it was an embarrassment to the military and EOD teams. Normally I don't care but seeing as how both the director and writer said they wanted to depict what EOD teams did in a realistic manner, add the fact that the writer was imbedded with an EOD team for a number of months, this was a piece of shit movie. I have a friend that is EDO and his whole team walked out 15 min in.

Military and Hollywood is what I do. American Sniper is one of the best examples I've seen where they stay true to life and show it in a compelling, cinematic way. Eastwood nailed it. Just wish I was in it

Comment

American Sniper opens next month across Europe, depending on where I am , I am seeing it on as big of a screen as possible.

Variety did an interview with the editors, which i found quite interesting - they say they kind of made it in the editing room as they shot so many different locations in a short amount of time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxpK4VoI1o

Comment

I direct like Clint. I don't think it does any good burning out your actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Rice View Post
                  I direct like Clint. I don't think it does any good burning out your actors.
                  Some direct like Hitchcock: I think it was 150 takes for one scene of The Birds where Tippi Hedron is attacked in the attic by a real trained bird, going from memory. I watched the behind the scenes on television and it was brutal, but he finally got what he needed.

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                    Though I dare to veer off on another tangent, personally I hated Hurt Locker. The writing was god awful and it was an embarrassment to the military and EOD teams. Normally I don't care but seeing as how both the director and writer said they wanted to depict what EOD teams did in a realistic manner, add the fact that the writer was imbedded with an EOD team for a number of months, this was a piece of shit movie. I have a friend that is EDO and his whole team walked out 15 min in.

Military and Hollywood is what I do. American Sniper is one of the best examples I've seen where they stay true to life and show it in a compelling, cinematic way. Eastwood nailed it. Just wish I was in it
                    I agree with you 100% on this, after it won best picture I decided to check it out and ended up feeling like it didn't even deserve a nomination let alone the oscar...

Comment

The BMPCC was used on this movie...and the footage is in the film in many places. I know it was used on a lot of the driving shots.

Comment

Alrighty feeling mixed signals here...Sarlacc, I don't mean to question your personal credibility, but I am curious the source of your information or if there is anything you can link us to. I'm just very curious now seeing as we've went from it being used to being a VFX reference cam back to being used again.

I'm really hoping that it was used, because that would be awesome.

Comment

Just my observation here (i don't have 'official' information and haven't sought it out) but no one seems to have mentioned what look to be crop guides stuck on the LCD screen ? If they are, i don't see what purpose there would be for a witness cam to have crop guides for framing. Cool to see it being used either way, thanks.
                          Blackmagic Design
                          My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Originally posted by Connor_R View Post
                            Alrighty feeling mixed signals here...Sarlacc, I don't mean to question your personal credibility, but I am curious the source of your information or if there is anything you can link us to. I'm just very curious now seeing as we've went from it being used to being a VFX reference cam back to being used again.

I'm really hoping that it was used, because that would be awesome.
                            My source is that I am good friends with Eastwood's camera crew of 20-30 years. And when I visited them recently during a show prep, We had talked about it for a few minutes as they had just seen the cast/crew screening the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                              Just my observation here (i don't have 'official' information and haven't sought it out) but no one seems to have mentioned what look to be crop guides stuck on the LCD screen ? If they are, i don't see what purpose there would be for a witness cam to have crop guides for framing. Cool to see it being used either way, thanks.
                              Good observation!

Originally posted by Sarlacc View Post
                              My source is that I am good friends with Eastwood's camera crew of 20-30 years. And when I visited them recently during a show prep, We had talked about it for a few minutes as they had just seen the cast/crew screening the night before.
                              That's awesome! It'd be cool to know what specific shots in the film used it, but to be honest the fact that people have reported that they can't tell truly attests to the quality of the pocket's image.

Comment

Working...
                              X