New RAW workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RAW workflow

I'm new to RAW, but figured I should take full advantage and get all that I can out of my BMCC. I can't run Resolve on my computer, and I don't have AE, Lightroom, or any other programs that handle RAW relatively well. I do have Premiere and FilmConvert for editing and some basic coloring.

I ran across some new software called ClipHouse by Pomfort http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/. You can import the raw footage, copy and manage, color, then export to a format your NLE software can handle like ProRes or DNxHD. I'm wondering if this is a viable workflow, it seems much simpler than the Resolve workflow that I've read about (I'm sure the color correction isn't as powerful) but I also don't want to limit the RAW footage capabilities by compromising quality for a simplified workflow.

There's a 14 day free trial, I tested it out and seems like the answer to my RAW dilemma. Any thoughts?

Will work fine, or you could wait for the firmware update to BMCC ProRes debayer, or you could wait for the Premiere CinemaDNG true native support. Both are better solutions to me, I hate transcoding workflow.
    Twitter
    Vimeo

// work
    thedeltree.com
    // personal
    bnjmin.com

A little profile Vimeo made on me: https://vimeo.com/17763845

Comment

It's an adequate workflow, but the color correction is very basic. From what I figured, this is a simple converter program, so while shooting RAW, the computer converts it into something NLE can edit, instead of camera. It doesn't replace the Resolve, which is a true color correction program. You can also try Resolve Lite, which is free. Cliphouse for the money is the simplest and cheapest transcode program for getting RAW into an NLE.

Comment

Originally posted by benjaminreece View Post
        Will work fine, or you could wait for the firmware update to BMCC ProRes debayer, or you could wait for the Premiere CinemaDNG true native support. Both are better solutions to me, I hate transcoding workflow.
        I'd be much happier working in just one program, start to finish, but I also know BMD isn't known for their speedy firmware updates. Haven't heard about Premieres CinemaDNG support, do you know when that might be coming?
        Last edited by pmcdan802; 04-23-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
          It's an adequate workflow, but the color correction is very basic. From what I figured, this is a simple converter program, so while shooting RAW, the computer converts it into something NLE can edit, instead of camera. It doesn't replace the Resolve, which is a true color correction program. You can also try Resolve Lite, which is free. Cliphouse for the money is the simplest and cheapest transcode program for getting RAW into an NLE.
          Once I get RAW into an NLE from ClipHouse, won't i still have a little more freedom to work on color correcting? There's an abundance of plugins to add finishing touches i.e FilmConvert, Magic Bullet Looks, etc. Or once I convert the original RAW to ProRes or DNxHD, will it be a baked in image that won't offer any more versatility than just recording ProRes straight from the BMCC?

Comment

It's mainly a DIT program. Not really intended for true color correction at all.

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
              It's mainly a DIT program. Not really intended for true color correction at all.
              Any suggestions for a better color correction alternative to Resolve? I think using FilmConvert with the color correcting tools inside Premiere will do alright. I was hoping ClipHouse would be good for doing a quick grade to get into Premiere.

Comment

Working...
              X