Noise Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Reduction

Are there any workflows for noise reduction if you only have Davinci Resolve Lite? I want the whole program but can't make the plung at the moment. I am saving up for a new workstation so that I can at least export the footage I have been acquiring. But anyway my question remains the same. Can anyone suggest some type of alternative to help reduce the amount of noise in my footage. I know lighting and lower ISO helps but I am really looking for software solutions if any are available.

Thanks

Neat video, OFX plugin

Comment

If you're looking for a freeware solution you might want to try the Dynamic Noise Reduction in Virtualdub (Windows)

Comment

I guess it depends on what noise you are trying to clean up. If you are just looking to clean up chroma noise (like moire or aliasing) you could simple separate the chroma and luma channels and blur the chroma channel. Then combine the 2 again.

Here is a .drx file that includes the workflow for Resolve 10 Lite and the full version of Resolve 10:
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0fix%20R10.zip

It's based on the technique shared by Paul Del Vecchio:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degEMVPLPdU

Might be enough for your needs.
        Adam Roberts
        www.adamroberts.net

Comment

i love that technique of just blurring the chroma channel, because i think the BMPCC and BMCC have a gorgeous grain structure. leaving the grain intact and removing chroma noise gives the image a beautiful film like look.

Comment

Originally posted by Cedric Akins View Post
            Are there any workflows for noise reduction if you only have Davinci Resolve Lite? I want the whole program but can't make the plung at the moment. I am saving up for a new workstation so that I can at least export the footage I have been acquiring. But anyway my question remains the same. Can anyone suggest some type of alternative to help reduce the amount of noise in my footage. I know lighting and lower ISO helps but I am really looking for software solutions if any are available.

Thanks
            Many Editing programs have them, if not you can always buy Magic Bullet Denoiser or Neat Video, I believe they are about $100-$200 price range. Furthermore I know even the software you use to compress (Compressor for Mac) allows for denoting of chroma channels as well. Be careful with denoting though as too much can soften your image....

*Denoiser , dang auto correct....
            Last edited by J.F.R.; 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you all guys. I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I guess I will try the freeware first to see want it can accomplish.

Comment

Magic Bullet Denoiser is terrible. Denoiser 2 was better but still crashy as hell when I tried to use it. Neat video is great but OFX plugin for Resolve is ultra slow for me, and I have a fairly nifty system at home. You get pretty good results in after effect with the remove grain function but Neat Video is the best I have used so far—especially when you shoot a grey card or a blank wall to take a noise sample.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Roberts View Post
                  I guess it depends on what noise you are trying to clean up. If you are just looking to clean up chroma noise (like moire or aliasing) you could simple separate the chroma and luma channels and blur the chroma channel. Then combine the 2 again.

Here is a .drx file that includes the workflow for Resolve 10 Lite and the full version of Resolve 10:
                  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0fix%20R10.zip

It's based on the technique shared by Paul Del Vecchio:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degEMVPLPdU

Might be enough for your needs.
                  I have tried this but I still have the unwanted grain in the images. It would be fine for a narrative but for corporate training videos it would not really be pleasing for most clients. I like what Neat Video can do. For $200 it is a good investment. But At the moment I am saving up for my workstation. I hope to be branching off in to corporate training videos soon and this will be one of the first software programs/ofx plugins that I purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hole View Post
                    Magic Bullet Denoiser is terrible. Denoiser 2 was better but still crashy as hell when I tried to use it. Neat video is great but OFX plugin for Resolve is ultra slow for me, and I have a fairly nifty system at home. You get pretty good results in after effect with the remove grain function but Neat Video is the best I have used so far—especially when you shoot a grey card or a blank wall to take a noise sample.
                    Magic Bullet Denoiser works, yes it crashes sometimes but no doubt it cleans up the image nice. I've used it several times on many projects.......

Comment

Neat video has been saving my bacon since the hacked GH1 days. As has been said, the images from the BMCC (and presumably the other BMD cameras) take very well to strong chroma denoising with little to no changes to luma, as well as a very slight digital sharpening. This is because it has no automatic in-camera noise reduction and digital sharpening unlike most dlsr-style cameras.
                      telecinese.com · twitter · vimeo

Comment

Working...
                      X