Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop onset grading/DIT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laptop onset grading/DIT

    Whilst it is quite normal to rent camera packages that include a MacBook Pro, or a DIT that has his/her own station, I just absently perusing the higher end gamer laptops. I am PC all the way through my pipeline including Maya, C4D and CS. I expect Adobe to solidify their total pipeline pre-production through to encode, in the future and using a MacBook onset does not play well with this notion.

    Here's what I randomly found to start, without looking too hard.

    http://www.originpc.com/Configurator...spx?SYSTEMID=3

    http://computers.toptenreviews.com/g...sx-review.html

    http://computers.toptenreviews.com/g...us-review.html

    It would likely be useful for those non-Mac peeps around to link any laptops that you've come across that might be useful either onset or for general asset management/editing.

    It would generally be wiser to wait for a year under thunderbolt becomes more readily available on laptops, there are some coming out but the general specs aside from that might not hit the mark.

  • #2
    If you are looking for laptops built to order, I'd recommend checking out these folks:
    http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

    They are a pretty bad ass company, and there is a pretty good selection of base models to choose from, that can then be customized pretty thoroughly to suit your needs.

    They are not super cheap, but their customer service is pretty top notch. Worth a look.
    www.bmcuser.com
    A Landmine Media "User" Community
    The online resource for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

    Comment


    • #3
      HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation with Dreamcolor IPS panel.
      IMHO the only laptop that comes with a screen, good enough for grading.
      Probably one of the most expensive ones too, especially when you order it, with all the bells and whistles.

      Frank
      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tim Hole View Post
        Whilst it is quite normal to rent camera packages that include a MacBook Pro, or a DIT that has his/her own station, I just absently perusing the higher end gamer laptops. I am PC all the way through my pipeline including Maya, C4D and CS. I expect Adobe to solidify their total pipeline pre-production through to encode, in the future and using a MacBook onset does not play well with this notion.
        Despite being all-Mac myself, I can appreciate wanting to stay with your current workflow. Right now, Ultrascope only works on Macs, so in the short term, you've got no choice. (And for that purpose, the Retina 15" MacBook Pro looks like the best option for quality monitoring with no external devices.)

        However, why not buy a (cheaper) Mac laptop and install Windows on it in a dual-boot setup? You could use its Thunderbolt connection on the Mac side for monitoring, but use the Windows side for everything else if you prefer that. There's a rumor of a Retina 13" MBP coming soon, and that would have 2560 dots across if they doubled the current resolution.

        Alternatively, current Creative Cloud CS licenses allow you to install more than one copy of the software, so you could use Premiere on your Mac and on your desktop PC. Not sure about the Maya or C4D licenses, but those apps are also on Mac.
        Iain Anderson, Apple Certified Trainer
        http://trainingbrisbane.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the input guys.

          I didn't realise that Creative Cloud allowed for more than one install. That's interesting. If Ultrascopes doesn't find its way to PC then that puts me shit out of luck...but it would be logical to invest in a MacBook though I'm sure I could source one at a reasonable price. If I can work within a good safe pipeline from Mac to PC then I don't mind.

          Maya would not need to be involved at all, as the workstation I have would cost such a ridiculous amount on a Mac Pro. I shiver to think what I would have had to pay instead of the 4k I did spend.

          @Jason I like the look of their systems, they are reasonably priced though, even the top of the range ones.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
            HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation with Dreamcolor IPS panel.
            IMHO the only laptop that comes with a screen, good enough for grading.
            Probably one of the most expensive ones too, especially when you order it, with all the bells and whistles.

            Frank

            Whoa, love these.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
              If you are looking for laptops built to order, I'd recommend checking out these folks:
              http://www.digitalstormonline.com/
              None of these have ThunderBolt and I didn't see it as an option on any of the models they offer.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm planning on bringing a desktop to the set to transfer data with for now. Also, I'll be using waveforms and scopes on my HD-SDI monitor.
                Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

                Comment


                • #9
                  For Live Onset Grading I use this:

                  http://pomfort.com/livegrade/

                  +

                  http://www.abelcine.com/store/Blackm...D-DisplayPort/

                  Less than $1000 total and you can apply non destructive live grades to any SDI signal. There is an Alexa Specific Mode, and a non-specifc mode. Really a great program. Saves Davinci Resolve Ready LUTS, and other LUT formats. So awesome.
                  Dan Kanes
                  www.dankanes.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X