Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SanDisk EP II official response from BM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SanDisk EP II official response from BM

    So I emailed BM on the NEW SanDisk EP II SSD cards. I C/P the response below:
    Hello Bryant,

    My apologies for overlooking the question on the SSDs. On our support site, you can find the information on certified SSDs.
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/supp...d=31787&os=mac

    As of right now, the SanDisk Extreme Pro II is not approved, though it is being tested, even as I type this. They are having issues at them moment.

    One of the issues is the 7mm slim size. Even with the adapter attached, it is not fitting securely into the SSD slot and maintaining a good connection. The Extreme I was a 9.5" card and fit perfectly.

    They do keep the list updated. If a card is not on that list, we cannot guarantee it will work with our cameras and equipment.

    Best Regards,

    Jen Winslow
    Support Representative
    Blackmagic Design, Inc.
    www.blackmagicdesign.com
    Bryant Mock
    MockSpeed Media
    www.mockspeedmedia.com

  • #2
    Thanks for posting , I have one of these still in the box. Looking forward/dreading the update on this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by marsmock View Post
      ... One of the issues is the 7mm slim size. Even with the adapter attached, it is not fitting securely into the SSD slot and maintaining a good connection. The Extreme I was a 9.5" card and fit perfectly...
      Amazing Sandisk can architect and manufacture a high speed SSD, but they can't engineer a piece of plastic to fit snugly in a 9.5mm opening!

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh no I just ordered one of these! I thought I'd searched everything and couldn't find word yes or no about the Extreme II. Is it worth even taking out of the box to try it, has anyone? Or should I just return it for the older model?

        Why on earth is the newest SSD list hidden in a pdf manual instead of on the SSD support page (which is out of date now!)?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by senorcitizen View Post
          Oh no I just ordered one of these! I thought I'd searched everything and couldn't find word yes or no about the Extreme II. Is it worth even taking out of the box to try it, has anyone? Or should I just return it for the older model?

          Why on earth is the newest SSD list hidden in a pdf manual instead of on the SSD support page (which is out of date now!)?
          +1 Yea that list should be in plain view and updated regularly.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have asked BMD more than once to date their approved lists and indicate also any SSD that fails and why it was considered a failure. They have never altered the process around the approved lists but there is still hope they will change their ways with the new cameras released or about to be released. Don't be frustrated with the current state of affairs, let me take on that burden as I continue to ask them bluntly to be responsive to these reasonable requests.

            Comment


            • #7
              i have one of those and they work flawlessly with the bmcc.
              Blackmagic enthusiast, Indie film activist

              BMCC EF, MOVI M10
              http://www.eyefinitycreations.com
              http://www.youtube.com/eyefinitycreations

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                Amazing Sandisk can architect and manufacture a high speed SSD, but they can't engineer a piece of plastic to fit snugly in a 9.5mm opening!
                Yes, because Sandisk manufactures their SSDs solely for use in the BMCC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
                  Yes, because Sandisk manufactures their SSDs solely for use in the BMCC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
                    Yes, because Sandisk manufactures their SSDs solely for use in the BMCC.
                    Actually there where SSDs made especially for the use in the BMC - I think it was based on the Sandisk Extreme Pro.
                    Someone posted a link somewhere here, quite a while ago.
                    Don't know what happened to the company, but I never was able to buy some, after they where out of stock once.
                    Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I received a Sandisk Extreme II 480 GB SSD that I bought during a Cyber Monday sale. I tried it on my original BMCC EF and it immediately dropped frames, using both raw and DNxHD formats. I had not updated the firmware on this BMCC since I bought it last March. It had either v. 1.2 or 1.3 (how do you find out what firmware version you have?).

                      Coincidentally, I just bought a second BMCC EF for various projects. I noticed that the serial number on this BMCC was quite a bit higher than on mine and I think the seller from whom I bought it said that he purchased it in August. I'm guessing it had more up-to-date firmware.

                      On a whim, I tried the Extreme II in the newer BMCC and it worked! Figuring it might be related to firmware, I updated my original BMCC to the latest firmware (1.5.1). Now the Extreme II works in the original BMCC, too.

                      I just tried this and recorded no more than 10 minutes, so I'm still a little hesitant to say that the EP II will work reliably. But, I thought I'd pass along, as I've seen reports from some who say they had dropped frames immediately and others who reported no problems with the Extreme II. I had both experiences and seemed to be able to reconcile them with firmware.
                      Last edited by Jason Greene; 12-08-2013, 03:59 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                        Actually there where SSDs made especially for the use in the BMC - I think it was based on the Sandisk Extreme Pro.
                        Someone posted a link somewhere here, quite a while ago.
                        Don't know what happened to the company, but I never was able to buy some, after they where out of stock once.
                        Frank, I think you might be referring to the Digistor SSDs?
                        http://www.digistor.com/Solid-State-...onal-Video-SSD

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have had no problems with the EP II 240gb on my BMCC (latest firmware as of Dec 2013).
                          Blackmagic enthusiast, Indie film activist

                          BMCC EF, MOVI M10
                          http://www.eyefinitycreations.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/eyefinitycreations

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been shooting raw 2.5k with my EP II, and I've never had a dropped frame. I have the 480g

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              yep works well for me 2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X