Kodak and Fujifilm Emulation LUTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juan Melara View Post
    You will want to apply the LUTs either on your last node or as an Output LUT in your Look Up Table settings. It is a bad idea to apply it on your first node.

Apply it via both methods above and it will take affect on your final render.

Here is an example of why it's not a good idea to apply a LUT on your first node. Left image is the print LUT applied on the first node, right image is the print LUT applied at the end. The top images look identical. But bring down the gamma on both you can see a huge difference. The detail/colours you lose in the first node never come back. Not a problem when the LUT is applied at the end.

Thansk a lot, I'll give it a try when I have finished shooting.
    -John Bauer-

Comment

Amazing that you're giving these away for free, your footage looked beautiful. Randyman those stills are sick too!

I have a question on trying to use these in FCP 7 with Lut Buddy. I downloaded the original .3dl files and can import them into FCP but I don't really get anything from it. No starting point to work with or grade from, is there a process to this that anyone has done before by chance? Just a shot in the dark before I scour google some more!
      See all my work at
      CKSUNNY.COM

Comment

I don't like the artificial application of film grain to digital images for the most part. It doesn't look like film because the overlay grain pattern is a uniform field where film grain density varies with exposure values in the image.

Comment

Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
          I don't like the artificial application of film grain to digital images for the most part. It doesn't look like film because the overlay grain pattern is a uniform field where film grain density varies with exposure values in the image.
          In resolve using a luma key in your "grain node" can help with that by reducing/increasing grain depending on how bright/dark areas of the shot are.
          Blackmagic Design
          My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Juan, I literally check your website almost every day hoping for your up in coming Resolve tutorials! ahhhh
            See all my work at
            CKSUNNY.COM

Comment

Thanks JUAN, very great job!

Comment

Hi Juan, and everyone else.

I'm new to resolve and right now I'm starting to grade a short film I did a few weeks ago. I really liked the results you were getting from your LUTs so I thought I'd give them a try!

I read your blog post and installed the LUTs like you said and everything worked fine. I can apply them as Output LUTs in the LUT menu.

So far my results using the LUTs have been mixed. It's a little difficult to explain but results were a little different from what I've expected. The effect on my log bmc footage is pretty "extreme" so I wanted to check if the results I'm getting are normal or if I'm doing something wrong. Here are some pictures to explain what I mean:

709lut1_1.2.3.jpg
                rec709lut
                filmlut1_1.2.2.jpg
                kodak2393constLclip
                log1_1.2.1.jpg
                bmcfilm

I could show you more stills with different lighting/mood if you like but the effect stays similar. If this is the way these LUTs work, could you give me some tips on how to "normalise" the image a little bit again (reduce contrast, add saturation etc...)?

On some shots I was able to get a result which I really liked but on others it really didn't look right at all...

Thank you!
                -John Bauer-

Comment

Looking at the BMD Film grab of your footage, the end result of applying the LUT looks about right.

Remember these LUTs are not finished looks. Your footage still needs to be graded.

To get a pleasant image do exactly what you said, reduce contrast and add saturation. Using the log wheels I'd start by dropping the highlights (might need to adjust the high range, .333 usually works well) pushing up the offset, then bringing down the darkest parts of the image using shadow wheel. Add saturation to taste. That should get you a nicely balanced image and a good foundation to build your grade.
                  juanmelara.com.au
                  instagram.com/juanmelara
                  twitter.com/JuanDMelara

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to apply these LUT's in After Effects with LUT Buddy, but I've got an error while loading. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Melara View Post
                      Looking at the BMD Film grab of your footage, the end result of applying the LUT looks about right.

Remember these LUTs are not finished looks. Your footage still needs to be graded.

To get a pleasant image do exactly what you said, reduce contrast and add saturation. Using the log wheels I'd start by dropping the highlights (might need to adjust the high range, .333 usually works well) pushing up the offset, then bringing down the darkest parts of the image using shadow wheel. Add saturation to taste. That should get you a nicely balanced image and a good foundation to build your grade.
                      Thanks Juan. Wasn't really expecting a finished look. Just wanted to make sure everything was alright. After playing around a bit I slowly get closer to what I was expecting. Thanks for these LUTs and your support!
                      -John Bauer-

Comment

Saw the a poster above me had the same problem, gonna try messing with the log controls to get a better grade.
                        Last edited by Nick Vega; 05-26-2013, 08:16 AM.
                        Nick Vega
                        http://vimeo.com/nickvega

Comment

Originally posted by Liszön! View Post
                          Hey Guys,

I'm trying to apply these LUT's in After Effects with LUT Buddy, but I've got an error while loading. Any ideas?
                          because they're not for lut buddy but you can use them with resolve.
                          if you still want to use them with lut buddy, you will need to convert them to .mga format and I only found briz lut converter for 75 dollars. now I am searching for free alternative for it.
                          www.muratcan.film

Comment

I would also love to use these luts in lut buddy. Can someone make them available? If not, is buying Briz lut converter worth it?

Comment

You can convert them using the trial version.
                              Blackmagic Design
                              My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Working...
                              X