Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avid goes free!

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/it...composer-first

I think this is a smart move. Avid is hands down my favorite editing software. The speed that it allows me to edit at is unparalleled, sometimes I'll go long periods of time with hardly ever touching my mouse, just flying through an edit with keyboard only. Also round tripping from Avid to Resolve is so flawless and smooth. Whenever I used to round trip using Premiere it was always very wonky, with random new cuts appearing and edits sometimes being way off. With Avid the trip always maintains the integrity of the edit.

Hopefully this free version will get more and more new editors to give it a real shot when they'd otherwise dismiss it as being too expensive. Avid is industry standard, and this free version gives anyone a chance to at least learn it.

I doubt there will be interest in Avid. Resolve 14 is just much more interesting and feature rich. Its got the DnXxxxx codec support already and the editor is feature rich now.

Comment

I've tried editing a few projects in Resolve and did not like it. 14 doesn't fix my main issue with it, which is the UI itself. I never felt like I had pin point accuracy with the speed I'm used to.

I love Resolve for color correction, wanted to love it as an editing system, but just did not like it from the ground up.

Comment

I think it's too late for Avid, they should have done that years ago.

Now there is a new generation of editors who are software agnostic and I think Avid will eventually die when the old guard retires.

The softwares that will on the forefront will be part of large companies that have the money to keep developing them, and Avid simply isn't big enough any more to make the necessary investments.

Premiere, FCP and Resolve will be the future, and Avid will probably go out of business and the bought by another company.

Comment

Originally posted by townio View Post
          I think it's too late for Avid, they should have done that years ago.

Now there is a new generation of editors who are software agnostic and I think Avid will eventually die when the old guard retires.

The softwares that will on the forefront will be part of large companies that have the money to keep developing them, and Avid simply isn't big enough any more to make the necessary investments.

Premiere, FCP and Resolve will be the future, and Avid will probably go out of business and the bought by another company.
          They did do it years ago. There was a limited free version at one time.

I can't predict the future of Avid as a company but I do think there are both young and old editors who cut on Avid. a lot of young AEs coming up through the ranks are learning on Avid. And I also think a lot of young people don't know what they are missing with certain strengths Avid has.

The safest bet is to learn and use all of them. They all have pros and cons.

Comment

Avid lost 3/4 of their market cap in the last 2 years (and managed to do it in a rising market). In the meantime, Adobe quadrupled in the last 5 years and are now worth 300 times more than Avid. It is unlikely that Avid will be alive 5 years from now, even with a very aggressive campaign for their free MC edition. Adobe made a great job of publicizing high profile editors leaving Avid (and FCP) for Premiere. Avid's main selling point in the high end market is collaboration tools and services and both Adobe and BMD are making leaps in this direction. Also, the influx of new talent in the field is predominantly either from a photo background (likely in the Adobe camp already) and/or from a micro/no budget indie background (likely already invested in Resolve). I am not following how Avid's Pro Tools business is doing, but the future doesn't look good for them.
            Shutter Angle: The science and magic of shooting moving pictures

Comment

I still prefer Avid Media Composer for editing, but over the last few years I haven't been editing much myself as projects grew in size, so I could not justify owning a license.
              I was excited by the MC Free announcement, as I hoped I could do some basic cutting again in MC, but you can only have a limited amount of video track, only save to the cloud, etc. To me this new product seems useless for anything but the most basic small projects.

At least Lightworks free gives you more freedom to work, but limited your output options, which to me makes more sense.
              Limit the delivery options, not the creative workspace.
              Haavard Helle

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
                https://www.redsharknews.com/post/it...composer-first

I think this is a smart move. Avid is hands down my favorite editing software. The speed that it allows me to edit at is unparalleled, sometimes I'll go long periods of time with hardly ever touching my mouse, just flying through an edit with keyboard only. Also round tripping from Avid to Resolve is so flawless and smooth. Whenever I used to round trip using Premiere it was always very wonky, with random new cuts appearing and edits sometimes being way off. With Avid the trip always maintains the integrity of the edit.

Hopefully this free version will get more and more new editors to give it a real shot when they'd otherwise dismiss it as being too expensive. Avid is industry standard, and this free version gives anyone a chance to at least learn it.

This is nothing New Media Composer First has been around several years. I don't see the old version anymore though.
                Last edited by Jason Finnigan; 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc View Post
                  Avid lost 3/4 of their market cap in the last 2 years (and managed to do it in a rising market). In the meantime, Adobe quadrupled in the last 5 years and are now worth 300 times more than Avid. It is unlikely that Avid will be alive 5 years from now, even with a very aggressive campaign for their free MC edition. Adobe made a great job of publicizing high profile editors leaving Avid (and FCP) for Premiere. Avid's main selling point in the high end market is collaboration tools and services and both Adobe and BMD are making leaps in this direction. Also, the influx of new talent in the field is predominantly either from a photo background (likely in the Adobe camp already) and/or from a micro/no budget indie background (likely already invested in Resolve). I am not following how Avid's Pro Tools business is doing, but the future doesn't look good for them.
                  As someone who has owned Avid Media Composer for years and kept up with maintenance it's easy to see why Avid is losing ground. Avid is stuck years behind Adobe in terms of features and performance (performance mostly). There their biggest advantage was media management but there are now shared storage solutions made for Adobe that handle this as well as Avid does with it's own systems.

Avid has been having trouble for years in all market segments. Heck until the S6L came out Many started calling the Avid SC48 a failure it hadden't been updated in years and was long in the tooth. The S6L really hasn't seen much market acceptance like the SC48 did as many needed to upgrade before it came out and switched to consoles from Digico and others doing Waves on board.

Comment

Originally posted by haavard View Post
                    At least Lightworks free gives you more freedom to work, but limited your output options, which to me makes more sense.
                    Limit the delivery options, not the creative workspace.
                    I tried it, the interface is just too cumbersome to be workable for me.

Comment

I've tried editing a few projects in Resolve and did not like it. 14 doesn't fix my main issue with it, which is the UI itself. I never felt like I had pin point accuracy with the speed I'm used to.

I love Resolve for color correction, wanted to love it as an editing system, but just did not like it from the ground up.
                      I haven't tried it yet, But I plan on it. I color correct with it cause it's powerful but I still love/hate it. It was designed for panels and I believe that's why the UI sucks, it was meant to be a display rather than a control interface.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc View Post
                        To be fair Adobe offers a lot of different products for a lot of different industries. It is far more mainstream. Avid is more niche, and focused entirely on editing platform, media management, and collaboration. Of course Adobe should rightfully be much larger, but Premiere is only a small part of their market.

I edit on Avid, but Photoshop and After Effects are essential for me, so I just buy the All App version of Adobe.

Avid will be fine for the foreseeable future. They might currently have a disconnect with the infinitely large & growing market of independent users and businesses, but they own the high end market. I've personally never seen a studio or network who doesn't primarily use Avid. The News Broadcast market also relies very heavily on Avid products. Avid is still the industry standard for a reason, and it's not going anywhere.

Comment

The News Broadcast market also relies very heavily on Avid products
                          Not anymore Grass Valley Pretty much owns that market.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
                            Not anymore Grass Valley Pretty much owns that market.
                            No way does Grass Valley own that market over Avid. I know for a fact that the vast majority of major broadcast networks use Avid, from ABC News, CBS, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC, ESPN, CNN, Golf Channel all primarily use Avid. Even the majority of News affiliate stations I know, or have friends working at, primarily use Avid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
                              I tried it, the interface is just too cumbersome to be workable for me.
                              That "cumbersome" interface is exactly what I love about Lightworks. I find the fixed layout UI's of other NLE's to be very limiting by comparison. I like the media organization and comprehensive metadata tagging and search functions. I like having multiple sequence timelines open on the desktop at one time. I like the speed of creating and binning subclips for auto assembled rough cuts without having to touch keyboard or mouse using a Shuttlepro. It is very fast to create multiple rough edits of the same material to emphasize different story lines, themes, ideas.
                              I use it with Resolve for grading and finishing. But for organizing, tracking, and editing lots of material over long periods of time for long form documentaries I'll take Lightworks over anything else at the moment. Just wish they would get their codec optimization dialed in a bit better.
                              Look forward to trying Resolve 14 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X