Is RAW uncompressed necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mintcheerios View Post
    Can you edit in real-time too with image adjustments and layers? If so, can I have your computer?
    Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by mintcheerios View Post
      Can you edit in real-time too with image adjustments and layers? If so, can I have your computer?
      OK, so test specifications:

CinemaDNG files 2048x1092, 16bit, 3.4MB each file, coming from the Ikonoskop camera. (anyway, where can I find more test footages?)
      DavinciResolve settings: Timeline is set to 1920x1080, 24fps.
      System is a 2009 2.26Ghz MacPro with internal software RAID(cheap!), and one CUDA GPU(again, cheap one, not some Quadro card..)

I was able to get real-time playback up to 20 nodes (masks too). And CPU usage was still UNDER 30%...
      Just to note how Resolve works: CPU power goes to decompressing, debayering RAW files. GPU power goes to nodes, grades, masks, etc.

So, I'm hopefully be able to grade BMC files natively without any problem.
      C300 review | http://carousel.hu/c300/

Comment

Originally posted by laco View Post

CinemaDNG files 2048x1092, 16bit, 3.4MB each file, coming from the Ikonoskop camera. (anyway, where can I find more test footages?)
        System is a 2009 2.26Ghz MacPro with internal software RAID(cheap!), and one CUDA GPU(again, cheap one, not some Quadro card..)

I was able to get real-time playback up to 20 nodes (masks too). And CPU usage was still UNDER 30%...
        Just to note how Resolve works: CPU power goes to decompressing, debayering RAW files. GPU power goes to nodes, grades, masks, etc.

Well that's awesome. The implication is exciting. I tried to edit the Ikonoskop DNGs in CS5 and it was painful on my i7 machine (PC) and I have a CUDA GPU also.

Comment

Originally posted by pharpsied View Post
          Well that's awesome. The implication is exciting. I tried to edit the Ikonoskop DNGs in CS5 and it was painful on my i7 machine (PC) and I have a CUDA GPU also.
          Haven't tried editing. Premiere CS6 still needs the CinemaDNG importer?

Comment

Haven't tried editing. Premiere CS6 still needs the CinemaDNG importer?
            Just tried importing a short CinemaDNG clip into CS6 without the importer - no go....doesn't recognize the format.
            // Aaron

Comment

bad adobe, no cookie
              My YouTube channel

Comment

Oh! Darn! Now what am I going to have with my glass of milk

Comment

Was that a Dual CPU in you Macpro?

Was that a dual CPU in your macpro?

Comment

Originally posted by adam777 View Post
                    Was that a dual CPU in your macpro?
                    yes, two 2.26 cpus

Comment

That is eight real cores plus eight virtual cores.

Comment

So as a follow-up to to my previous post, I installed the CS5.5 DNG importer into CS6 to see if it still works and it does (thankfully).

PPCS6_DNG.jpg
                        // Aaron

Comment

^ any comments on performance?
                          My YouTube channel

Comment

Premiere Pro CS6 indicates on my machine that I can play back the DNG clip in real-time (indicated by the yellow line above the clip) but it takes a few playthroughs to have it playback 100% smooth (the clip is a 1080p/24 sample file from Adobe). I have not done any long duration clips yet due to lack of sample clips online.

My machine specs are as follows:
                            Intel Core i7-970 @ 3.2GHz (Hexa-core+Hyperthreading=12 threads)
                            24GB RAM
                            Nvidia GeForce GTX 285
                            Windows 7 Ultimate
                            DNG footage was played back from an internal 2TB 7200RPM RAID 0 drive.

EDIT: I also want to note that the importer has no idea what the framerate of the source footage is, so when you import the DNG sequence, it says that it is a 1fps clip. To fix this, right-click on the footage and select Modify > Interpret Footage and input the proper framerate in the settings window that appears.
                            Last edited by pcenginefx; 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM. Reason: adding more info
                            // Aaron

Comment

nice
                              thanks
                              My YouTube channel

Comment

It should be way easier to playback these DNGs- poor optimisations from Adobe- very poor, but it may change

Comment

Working...
                                X