Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ursa Mini 4.6k RAW LOSSLESS SLOW MOTION ISSUES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ursa Mini 4.6k RAW LOSSLESS SLOW MOTION ISSUES?

Hi all,

I just got my baby - and I love her!! However, I went out shooting today and when I brought the footage in Resolve, I noticed that the 60fps slow-motion footage I shot was broken up into lots and lots of still frames (but not just frames... they lasted seconds), which were frozen, before moving again, then freezing again.

Anyone have any idea why this is, what I did, or if it's an issues?

I'm using the new 4.0 Beta firmware.

Thanks!
    Tony

Welcome to the forum!

Were you recording raw? What frame resolution were you recording? Did you record on a single card or dual card recording? What cards exactly are you using?

When you shoot raw and press Record, a folder is created for your clip and given a name. Inside the folder are all the sequentially ascending DNG files, one DNG per frame. They look like still images, but Resolve knows the folder contents represent a video clip. If your cards are not up to recording at the resolution and frame rate you selected, you'll be missing frames, commonly referred to as 'dropped frames.' To record 60 fps in raw on the full sensor 4.6K 4608x2592, you will likely need to turn on dual card recording. It's a menu option. If you only have one zzcfAst 2 card, you likely can record raw 3:1 on a single card successfully.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 08-27-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

Were you recording raw? What frame resolution were you recording? Did you record on a single card or dual card recording? What cards exactly are you using?

When you shoot raw and press Record, a folder is created for your clip and given a name. Inside the folder are all the sequentially ascending DNG files, one DNG per frame. They look like still images, but Resolve knows the folder contents represent a video clip. If your cards are not up to recording at the resolution and frame rate you selected, you'll be missing frames, commonly referred to as 'dropped frames.' To record 60 fps in raw on the full sensor 4.6K 4608x2592, you will likely need to turn on dual card recording. It's a menu option. If you only have one zzcfAst 2 card, you likely can record raw 3:1 on a single card successfully.
      Hey Rick,

I was recording RAW and LOSSLESS. Using the 4.0 firmware. I recorded to a single card, which could be the issue (but I had two in there: Sandisk Extreme Pro or something). I have heard about the dual recording for this type of RAW slow-motion, yet the slow-motion that I recorded earlier worked perfectly, which is odd. I am totally aware of how resolve detects the DNG frames and puts them into a sequence. What happened here is that resolve didn't detect it at all - and spat out hundreds of clips on the timeline, instead of just one sequence.

Any other thoughts? I'll also keep experimenting.

Thanks and excited to be part of the BMD community!
      Tony

Comment

Check to see if the Sandisks are on the approved cards list by BMD, I think the Lexar 3400x and above are the most reliable. But if you're doing long takes at 60fps at RAW you will drop frames without using dual card mode. Especially considering you're using the beta 4.0 is very buggy still. Might want to try again with dual cards and rollback to firmware 3.4.
        Darren Hartman
        Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

Comment

I'd take a look through the manual and learn how to use the camera first. I know this will sound blunt but you pretty much did everything wrong. Gotta know how to use the camera.

Comment

60fps lossless raw is too much for one card.

I'm imagining you have some major frame dropping happening there.

60fps 3:1 or 4:1 should likely be a lot better for you. Or if you don't need the resolution 1080p lossless raw to one card might work for ya!
            Dan Kanes
            www.dankanes.com

Comment

Working...
            X