No announcement yet.

SSD Drive caddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For us pre-thunderbolt Mac users, has anyone spotted a good and inexpensive Firewire 900 Caddy?

Comment

Though I was thinking about this the other day USB1, 2, 3 can be bogged down by the processor if it is working on other things hence why you never get 480mbps from USB2. This is the biggest thing I hate about USB. If you use a USB2 to Thunderbolt adapter and plug into a thunderbolt port, I wonder if you will always get 480mbps since the processor will never be bogging it down. Thunderbolt might breath a little bit of new life into USB2 products.

Comment

Originally posted by markmwilliams View Post
        For us pre-thunderbolt Mac users, has anyone spotted a good and inexpensive Firewire 900 Caddy?
        Do you have an Express Card slot? If so eSATA Express Cards are cheap and at 3Gbps is almost 4x faster than Firewire 800 (not 900). I've been doing this for years now. Got the eSATA Express Card for $10 on Ebay with cable and I currently use this for offloading my Hyperdeck Shuttle footage. If you have a little more money you can get a USB3 Express Card which is 5Gbps and use the same caddy.

Comment

Go with eSATA trust me
          There are a few options on Google.
          I hear folks are using them daily now and having great speeds with MBP as old as 2008.

Comment

Yep that's what I use for my set computer a 2008 MBP.

Comment

Yes I have a late 2008 MBP with Express Card slot (before they replaced them with SD card slots - WTF???). Thanks for the advice - really helpful

Comment

I bought this one. I had to use a Sonnet driver for the eSATA card to work with Snow Leopard (now on Mountain Lion). It is an off brand, but it must be a rebranded Sonnet.

Edit: The OSX driver might have been a Silicon Image driver. It's been a while, I can't remember exactly. Either way it wasn't too hard to find a driver that made it work properly.
                Last edited by Brian@202020; 10-10-2012, 07:18 AM.

Comment

i picked up a Unitek docking station w/ hub (for about $60 USD) that does FW 400 & 800 and works quite well. it's perfect for using carbon cloner, and offloading video footage from the bmcc drives. it even kinda looks like a BMCC...
                  currently in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Chin View Post
                    i picked up a Unitek docking station w/ hub (for about $60 USD) that does FW 400 & 800 and works quite well. it's perfect for using carbon cloner, and offloading video footage from the bmcc drives. it even kinda looks like a BMCC...
                    Link?
                    http://www.umuima.com

Comment

I wish Blackmagic would make a Thunderbolt/FW/USB3/ESATA 2.5" SSD dock. I love the way SSD drives slide into the Hyperdeck and would like the same when getting the footy of a SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by umuima View Post
                        Link?
                        this is the one i have: http://www.espow.com/wholesale-unite...-macs-pcs.html
                        currently in Singapore

Comment

+1
                          Originally posted by Osslund View Post
                          I wish Blackmagic would make a Thunderbolt/FW/USB3/ESATA 2.5" SSD dock. I love the way SSD drives slide into the Hyperdeck and would like the same when getting the footy of a SSD.

Comment

Are there any other FW800 docks under $50 that you guys would recommend?
                            http://www.umuima.com

Comment

hey, i thought of something; since it is possible to hook the bmc to a thunderbolt mbp with ultrascope, is there a way to directly unload footage from the camera to the computer without a ssd dock?
                              --

-Facebook
                              -Website

Comment

Originally posted by Amaury Bargioni View Post
                                hey, i thought of something; since it is possible to hook the bmc to a thunderbolt mbp with ultrascope, is there a way to directly unload footage from the camera to the computer without a ssd dock?
                                Nope
                                -Michael Beck

Comment

Working...
                                X