Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an Anamorphic lens

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying an anamorphic lens but I have no idea what stretch this lens gives footage nor what make it is? Does anyone know anything about this lens? The seller came across this by chance.photo_1.jpgphoto_2.jpg
    Last edited by Philipscott125; 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM. Reason: Added Photo

This looks very similar to my Sankor anamorphic, could possibly be a Kowa. They have a 2x squeeze factor, so you'll end up with a super wide format on the Blackmagic cameras.

You will not be able to use it with a wide lens. It works well from 35mm and up on the BM Cinema Camera, it does not work at 24mm as it will vignette, you can give it a go with 28mm to see if it works, but I don't think it will.

To attach it to a lens you need a clamp, you can get the Vidatlantic clamp in the USA, or the Redstan clamp from the United Kingdom, you'll find both on eBay, I can vouch for the latter one.

This type of anamorphic needs to be focused both on the anamorphic lens and the taking lens.

These ones are actually pretty sharp and works much better at wide open apertures than many other projection lenses. They have a fairly decent flare as well.
    Haavard Helle

Comment

Thanks Haavard, can't wait to try it out.

Comment

How's your experience with the 2x squeeze on the 16x9 footage?

Comment

Originally posted by Philipscott125 View Post
          How's your experience with the 2x squeeze on the 16x9 footage?
          3.55:1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5QGnX3yVM

Comment

I prefer to cut off the sides and reduce it to 2,35:1, but to be honest I haven't really shot much anamorphic on the BM cameras, mostly testing. I did a bit on my 5D, and that became quite nice with the RAW function enabling to record a 4:3 frame.
            Haavard Helle

Comment

How much quality loss is there when reduced to 2:35:1 from normal 5D footage?

Comment

Working...
              X