Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens for Aerial Footage with the BMPCC

Hi there,

I bought the BMPCC mainly as a B camera and for some aerial work. I know that there are several threads about lenses but I couldn't find a good one which only focuses on wide angle lenses for BMPCC.

For the aerial work I found the kitlens (14-45) which has pretty good center sharpness and good image stabilisation. But if you calculate you get a FOV of 42mm (compared to fullframe) which could bring too much movement into the aerial shots.
    I'm on a tight budget for my short film, that's why I'm looking for a cheap wideangle lens (no matter if its cmount / super 16/ mft).

It's important that the lens fills the whole sensor and that it's sharp even stopped down. Of course without distortion.
    Any recommendations? Maybe around 6 to 12mm?

My budget : 500€ would be the most I can pay.

Thank you!

Hi
    I am on the same boat. looking for something between 8-12mm, light, ND friendly, manual & that is a prime lens.

Comment

12mm SLR Magic comes to mind.
      -John Bauer-

Comment

Also something wider?

Comment

Somebody tried out this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHP6T2LQ4M wonder if this works with ef-s lenses

Comment

Originally posted by Andi1 View Post
            Somebody tried out this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHP6T2LQ4M wonder if this works with ef-s lenses

Done that for years with mft bodies and canon lenses, works with ef or ef-s the only downside is the hassle of carrying a body around to do it and then actually having to do that whenever you want to change the aperture. But it is do-able.

For Aerial unless your considering the speed booster to get a wider fov from a canon lens then it would mean heavier bigger glass for no real reason... which will reduce flight time and possible push your payload above your take-off weight.... assuming your shooting from a uav?

Otherwise sigma has an 8-16mm that could work for you?
            http://www.dalecampbellfilms.com

Comment

If you don't mind an apeture speed of F4, and if you can find it for a good price, you may want to consider the Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 7-14mm F4 lens.
              My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

The other option is getting a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (Nikon mount) + Metabones Nikon to MFT Speed Booster - which theoretically should give you a 7.8mm - 11.4mm F2.0.
                My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?59...CKET-(works)-)

Comment

I have the Sigma 8-16mm .. the Kowa 6mm 1.8 from the link looks nice .. but couldn't understand what the owner meant by "a near focus machine lens".

Will try out the sigma 8-16mm first and the hopefully will find the kowa 6mm sometime.. Tokina 11-16 with nikon speedbooster is about 1000€ which is too much for budget.

Comment

It's a machine lens made to normally focus on things that are close - for industrial applications like assembly line cameras, etc. But that's all irrelevant it's basically a tiny 6mm lens that works amazingly well with almost no distortion, I have been using it a lot lately with great results on a stabilizer

Comment

Originally posted by Andi1 View Post
                        Hi there,

I bought the BMPCC mainly as a B camera and for some aerial work. I know that there are several threads about lenses but I couldn't find a good one which only focuses on wide angle lenses for BMPCC.

For the aerial work I found the kitlens (14-45) which has pretty good center sharpness and good image stabilisation. But if you calculate you get a FOV of 42mm (compared to fullframe) which could bring too much movement into the aerial shots.
                        I'm on a tight budget for my short film, that's why I'm looking for a cheap wideangle lens (no matter if its cmount / super 16/ mft).

It's important that the lens fills the whole sensor and that it's sharp even stopped down. Of course without distortion.
                        Any recommendations? Maybe around 6 to 12mm?

My budget : 500 would be the most I can pay.

Thank you!
                        The 14-42, you mean? The image stabilization doesn't work because it needs to be activated in camera, that might be why you get too much movement. The SLR magic 12mm is a nice lens but difficult because it has lots of flaring and will need a lot of ND outside.
                        The best I've found so far in your range is the panny 14-140 that has the image stabilization switch. It's still not that wide but the IS helps cut out some of the shakes.

Comment

Thank you for the information kazkioken! But it still focuses to infinity and is sharp right?

@ Tim Joy: No, I meant the 14-45 by panasonic.. it has a physical switch for IS .. so it will work ( I saw a youtube test)

Comment

Yes, go to vimeo and search for Kowa lm6hc I have some examples there

Comment

yes I saw you're video.. fanstastic.. You said something that you just can stop down to f11.. could be a problem with aerial filming.. as you said, there isn't a good possibility to put an ND and the lens

Comment

Working...
                              X