ProND2 Now Avail: Hoya ProND Rolling Report Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vicharris View Post
    You're going to need A LOT more than just a 4 and a 16 man. I'd get at least the 16 and 32 if not the 64 unless you plan to shoot at f11 or something like that.

EDIT: If you can swing it and it's less than 2 Hoya NDs, get this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...riable_nd.html

And the IR cut. Trust me man.
    hows the flare on the slrmagic? Im switching from the genus eclipse. Man good thing i have the proNDs as alternative. Genus flares like hell.
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Comment

• Yeah, you're going to need those options.
      I film a lot of winter sports scenes for TV and promo films in bright sunlight and snow, and then things like you're doing in Cacun (Tortola and San Juan recently)...you'll need a range of ND.

And FWIW I've tested and own most all the VNDs and I'm not the only one that has found the Tiffen VND to have the smallest hit on resolution (virtually none).
      I think you can find a video test by D Dugdale testing them and coming to that same conclusion.
      I prefer it over the Genus and it's very inexpensive - a real option with the Hoya IR.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimagine View Post
        Yeah, you're going to need those options.
        I film a lot of winter sports scenes for TV and promo films in bright sunlight and snow, and then things like you're doing in Cacun (Tortola and San Juan recently)...you'll need a range of ND.

And FWIW I've tested and own most all the VNDs and I'm not the only one that has found the Tiffen VND to have the smallest hit on resolution (virtually none).
        I think you can find a video test by D Dugdale testing them and coming to that same conclusion.
        I prefer it over the Genus and it's very inexpensive - a real option with the Hoya IR.
        How much ND did you usually need? I think I'm going to get the ND32 and ND8 should be enough if stacking and the ND8 should be fine around sunset

Comment

• Originally posted by NickB View Post
          How much ND did you usually need? I think I'm going to get the ND32 and ND8 should be enough if stacking and the ND8 should be fine around sunset
          I'd really take a look at the SLR Magic Vari ND if they have it. Cheaper than 2 Hoyas, since you're on a budget and you have anything you need. Also unless you're using the new Tiffen IR Vari filter, I'd stay away from the old, cheap version. Plenty of unhappy people with it and BM cameras but like above, some happy. Dougs tests were not with BM cameras so he's not reporting the color cast problems. You're two best bets are the Hoya IR cut and either 2 Hoya ProNDs or the SLR Magic Vari ND.

If you go look at my Fitness Shoot thread, all the outdoor shots were with the Hoya IR cut and SLR Magic Vari ND on the 18-35 at about f2 in raw.

Jimagine, do you have the SLR Magic Vari?

Comment

• Just received the Hoya's today(ND64&ND8)....And WOW! It like I'm shooting with a different camera outdoors....Now I'm really looking forward to this Cancun trip!

Comment

• It is, isn't it.
              Congrats and make nice pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimagine View Post
                It is, isn't it.
                Congrats and make nice pictures.
                Thanks man! Oh i will

Comment

• Hi. Cant see any pictures of the Kholi SLR Magic Vari ND tests...
                  Can you upload it again, please?

I think i'll buy hoya pro nd 16 and 4... best choice

Comment

I'd really take a look at the SLR Magic Vari ND if they have it.
                    Vic, do you know if it's a bokeh-killer like my cheap Fotga below?

Originally posted by Telecinese View Post
                    Ok guys, I finally had enough of my Fotga Fader ND – dirt cheap, handy, not too-horrible color cast or sharpness loss, but very horrible indeed 'dirty' striated bokeh.

(Ladies and gentlemen of a delicate disposition might want to look away now.)
                    Captura de Tela 2014-06-30 às 20.52.50.jpg
                    telecinese.com twitter vimeo

Comment

• Hoya ProND is the best choice. But for those in need for a VariND due to their shooting needs, the "best choice variND" right now would be SLR Magic, aldoh its still open for discussion

Comment

• Originally posted by Telecinese View Post
                        Vic, do you know if it's a bokeh-killer like my cheap Fotga below?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9456[/ATTACH]
                        Hmm, I'll check but I'll put it on the thread dedicated for the filter instead of here. I'll try to tag you or something if I can so you know when I do it. Cool? Actually go to my fitness post and look at the exterior grabs. I was using it there and had it cranked up pretty damn high. Might have been either maxed out or one number down from max. Looks ok to me but I'm getting less and less critical of many things these days since nobody but us seems to care.

Comment

Hmm, I'll check but I'll put it on the thread dedicated for the filter instead of here. I'll try to tag you or something if I can so you know when I do it. Cool? Actually go to my fitness post and look at the exterior grabs. I was using it there and had it cranked up pretty damn high. Might have been either maxed out or one number down from max. Looks ok to me but I'm getting less and less critical of many things these days since nobody but us seems to care.
                          Hi. What about sharpness and color shift with slr magic vari-nd? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by tihon View Post
                            Hi. What about sharpness and color shift with slr magic vari-nd? Thanks
                            Take it to the right thread. This is for the Hoyas.

Comment

• An FYI, we picked up an 82 mm cine set from Photo4b in Poland and are having them shipped to Argentina. 346 EUR / $399 shipped. If things go the usual route it will be another 175 EUR / $200 "at the door" import tax. Still a better price anywhere in the USA. Owner's name is Greg. He speaks English well.

Now, lets see what happens next...
                              Last edited by Marckusw; 05-12-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marckusw View Post
                                An FYI, we picked up an 82 mm cine set from Photo4b in Poland and are having them shipped to Argentina. 346 EUR / $399 shipped. If things go the usual route it will be another 175 EUR / $200 "at the door" import tax. Still better a better price anywhere in the USA. Owner's name is Greg. He speaks English well.

Now, lets see what happens next...
                                Now the thing is, apparently there is a new version of these filters that doesn't stain (can some one confirm this for me?). So is what your getting the new version or the old version?

Comment

Working...
                                X