Cosmicar 12.5 is a pain in the ass and quite possibly worth owning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmicar 12.5 is a pain in the ass and quite possibly worth owning

So I purchased the Cosmicar 12.5 off ebay because I didn't really like the way the 12mm SLR magic rendered. I dremelled it down so far that the mount broke off so I superglued it to the the M4/3 adapter. It gives surprisingly good results. Wide open can be a little vignettey. But I like the glow at 1.8. Gets a little contrasty stopped down which is nice. Anyway. It's a good option if you're looking for a cheap wide angle. It requires a lot of the bevel to be taken off in order to fit the adapter. So be warned. Below is some footage with it.

Cheers

https://vimeo.com/77914383

Why did you take off that much? The ring in the back can be taken off with just three screws and machined down just a little bit – mine didn't brake. While I'd shim it to the adapter anyway and then fix it, I'd avoid superglue, it get's too hard and breaks apart with time. Two component may look ugly, but stays longer.

I second that it's a nice, cheap, mild wide (like about 35mm on photo FF) with very low weight and fit's the BMPCC so nicely and unobtrusively.

Comment

Looks really nice! Did you have to zoom in to get rid of a hard image circle vignette or is it just the bit of wonky exposure/focus in the corners?

Why does the lens need to be machined down in the back? If you don't, does the lens go far enough back to hit the sensor or are the threads just too deep to screw in all the way into the adapter?

Comment

Why did you take off that much? The ring in the back can be taken off with just three screws and machined down just a little bit – mine didn't brake.
        Right. I am pretty inexperienced so I was taking the edge of the bevel away hoping it would screw further in to the adapter. I have almost no idea what I am doing.

Comment

Why does the lens need to be machined down in the back? If you don't, does the lens go far enough back to hit the sensor or are the threads just too deep to screw in all the way into the adapter?
          Basically, most c mount lenses don't screw far enough in to the Micro 4/3 aparters that are available. You need to machine them down to get the back of the lens the right distance away from the sensor.

Comment

I've got this lens, but haven't got round to machining it down.
            I don't have the skills or equipment to do so, so will eventually need someone around London, UK to doit for me - just need to find out the cost really

Comment

This is the version that works perfectly.

https://vimeo.com/76932052

Comment

Love this lens

Originally posted by Worzel Gummidge View Post

This is the same version that I have. I didn't need to modify it at all for it to fit a cheap ebay C-Mount to M4/3 adapter.

It's a great little lens.
                It's pretty tiny, has a non-rotating front thread (so you can use step up rings and filters), the glass has a sort of vintage warm look (my copy at least), the focus throw is nice and long and though f1.9 is a little soft and bloomy, it can be very flattering or atmospheric when used right. At f2.8 it's a much sharper image by f4 and f5.6 it's pretty amazing. In one or two rare occurrences I've seen a very, and I mean very mild vignette. Not unlike an FF wide angle lens.

If you own a BMPCC (or intend to) and see one of these lenses for a reasonable price, I recommend you pick it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel Gummidge View Post

How does one tell which lens will fit? Is it the specifically labeled the Cosmicar SUPER16 12.5?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    How does one tell which lens will fit? Is it the specifically labeled the Cosmicar SUPER16 12.5?
                    Please someone let me know if I'm wrong here, but I think it's as simple as the f1.9 TV lens version fits, the f1.4 CCTV lens version requires mod.
                    They also look physically different. i hope that helps!

Comment

Yes. I got a run down 1.9 version and it fit's without mod. Quite yellow, BTW.

Comment

Anyone know if the 1.8 works without milling? I can see plenty of them on ebay, no luck with the 1.9

Comment

Cosmicars are soft lenses for 16mm glass, but this actually will work well with the BMPCC to reduce aliasing and moire issues.

Comment

There's a huge difference in sharpness between the old 1.9 and a recent 1.4 when both are stopped down to 2.8. The new one needs machining, though.

Comment

If you want to reduce the strength of the 'yellow' cast, take the front and rear caps off and leave the lens on a window sill in the sun. The UV light can do wonders! YMMV

Comment

Working...
                              X