X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ms500
    replied
    Originally posted by wonkman View Post
    That's an awesome calculator but the moire on those buildings is killing me.
    wow!!! Where???

ไก่ชน

Leave a comment:

• rick.lang
    replied
    Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
    Maybe you should specify which 35mm format ? 135 ? APS ? Super 35 ?

jb
    John, he means stills 135 film in the leftmost column of the table. Not Super35 film.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Jeez, I don't even know. i made this little diagram and i have been using it as a reference for myself, i thought people might be interested, it has helped me. It might be super35. Not sure. : /

I suppose it is to whatever Blackmagic and Metabones are comparing their crop factor.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Maybe you should specify which 35mm format ? 135 ? APS ? Super 35 ?

jb

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-16-2014, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post

Let me know if I got that right.

Edit: Updated.
    Is there a lens that will make it look like the full 4:3 imaging area? And I realize that the BMPCC needs ultra wide lenses, maybe even fisheye lenses, to get wide shots. What are some lenses that will give you wide shots while still giving you a "flat" image? (meaning not distorted in a "circular" way such as generally with a fisheye)

Leave a comment:

• ROCKMORE
    replied
    Here is a quick reference chart I posted already, but may be useful here as well.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rick.lang
    replied
    Originally posted by jeebus View Post
    Since longer lenses can give the illusion of a shallower depth of field, a 35mm t1.5 on the bmcc will look different than the 85mm 1.2 (assuming both are at the same f-stop) on a 5d.
    It's my understanding you are correct but if you wanted the same DOF, then the 35mm lens would need to use a faster aperture by that 2.3x multiplier so roughly the 35mm at T1.5 would look like the 85mm at f2.2 give or take a point.

Leave a comment:

• jeebus
    replied
    Since longer lenses can give the illusion of a shallower depth of field, a 35mm t1.5 on the bmcc will look different than the 85mm 1.2 (assuming both are at the same f-stop) on a 5d.

Leave a comment:

• morgan_moore
    replied
    Nothing wrong with a 35, just not so many fast wides on the EF mount

DOF?
    http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

Leave a comment:

• SamuelJacobPauling
    replied
    Right now I have a 5d MK2 with my one and only 85mm 1.2 L series.

If I want to emulate that look with the DOF with a Blackmagic, should I get the EF mount body, and a 35mm t1.5 lens? or should I go with the MTF body and the proper lens for that body?

Leave a comment:

• morgan_moore
    replied
    39 degress fov - yep.

but you still get the DOF of a 22mm lens

http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Leave a comment:

• SamuelJacobPauling
    replied
    So if I have an 22mm EF lens on the blackmagic, It'll have the same out-come as the 50mm on a 5d?

Leave a comment:

• morgan_moore
    replied
    Which 6.8mm lens fits the bmc?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Ream
    replied
    Maybe it's easier to think of things in terms of field of view?

To explain the "wide problem": A Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens on a BMC will have a maximum FOV of around 76.7 degrees. That would equate to a 7.6mm lens on your S16 camera... although I'd call it wide, it's nowhere near the 98.9 degrees you get when you put exactly the same lens on something like a 7D - which is what many people have got used to now.

In other words, wide is wider than it used to be! It's not really a problem in FOV terms because you could just use a 6.8mm lens on the BMC, the problem is getting that trendy shallow depth of field look with a 6.8mm lens?
    Last edited by Paul Ream; 10-09-2012, 05:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X