Buying a Lens Set for MFT - Rokinon VS SLR Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Shasha View Post
    I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to get a set ready so that I can begin shooting right away when my MFT BMCC lands. In Australia, nobody sells the cine versions of the Samyang/Rokinons, nor does anyone sell SLR Magic lenses - whenever I purchase from B&H or Adorama, it usually takes two-weeks minimum for my order to arrive here.

Dude we dont know when the MFT version will ship and even when they do you don't know when you will get one. The speed booster has a time constraint as well, you have no ideas when exactly you will have one in your sweaty hands. Can understand your impatience, just not your logic at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by bowman View Post
      Dude we dont know when the MFT version will ship and even when they do you don't know when you will get one. The speed booster has a time constraint as well, you have no ideas when exactly you will have one in your sweaty hands. Can understand your impatience, just not your logic at this point.
      Well, according to some bloke in Norway, soon: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...art=290#p29382

God knows how true that is though. Seems too good to be true if you ask me.
      My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

The problem for me with the SLR Magic lenses is that I can't use them with a SpeedBooster to get around the extreme 3x crop of my BMPCC like I can with EF mount lenses. SLR Magic doesn't make any of their cine lenses with an EF or EF-S mount.

I'm hoping Sigma's non-too-subtle hints about offering cine lenses in the future will become reality soon (at NAB would be good!). A Sigma ART Cine line would be most welcome by me.

Comment

Kind of surprised no one brought up the Veydra's as a point of reference. The first glass clearly targeted to the MFT sensor circle. I know, not in your price range and not available in time but as a point of reference might be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
            Kind of surprised no one brought up the Veydra's as a point of reference. The first glass clearly targeted to the MFT sensor circle. I know, not in your price range and not available in time but as a point of reference might be worth a look.
            It's because this was a 2 year old thread that tyger11 revived.

Comment

hadn't noticed. Thanks for keepin me on my toes.

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                It's because this was a 2 year old thread that tyger11 revived.
                A lot of changes in the last two years. Worth revisiting this discussion throughout this year. Maybe the choices will be more crowded by October after the major trade shows are done. Certainly by then we shall see lots of footage using Veydras and there will likely be several ciné-style lines from which to select, possibly including Sigma once again, but no one will hold their breath waiting for that.

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                  A lot of changes in the last two years. Worth revisiting this discussion throughout this year. Maybe the choices will be more crowded by October after the major trade shows are done. Certainly by then we shall see lots of footage using Veydras and there will likely be several ciné-style lines from which to select, possibly including Sigma once again, but no one will hold their breath waiting for that.
                  Oh for sure. But we're still dealing with most of the same stuff till we see the Veydras and maybe SLRs new stuff on the market though I think the only real performance benefit we'll see in the Veydras over the Roks might be breathing but we still haven't seen any good examples which seems a bit odd.

Comment

What's the word on SLR Magic's consistency issues? I really like the look of SLR Magic's 10mm lens and have been looking for a good wide lens for a while now, but the quality control issues worry me. The review I linked is pretty positive.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisA View Post
                      What's the word on SLR Magic's consistency issues? I really like the look of SLR Magic's 10mm lens and have been looking for a good wide lens for a while now, but the quality control issues worry me. The review I linked is pretty positive.
                      All the QC problems I think are a thing of the past. Of course I'm sure one or two will still slip through the cracks. We even see Tokina and Sigma still sending out bad copies but for the most part they are not the same company they were 2 years ago. My 10mm is built like a tank and might possibly be the best built lens from them yet thought the 12mm MK2 seems to be built pretty much the same. IMO, it preforms better than the 12mm with better contrast and distortion control.

If you want a mft mount 10mm, you really can't go wrong with it.

Comment

Thanks, Vic!

Comment

I have the SLR 12, 17, and 25 and they're great fast lenses. There's not enough distance between the 10 and 12 to warrant both for me personally. I may eventually sell the 12 and get the 10. The only issue with the SLR lenses for me is that you can't use step rings with the 25 because the retractible lens foreskin butts up against them and limits focus travel as the lens is not internal focus. You can take the glass out of a cheap UV and space it out and it will be fine but it's an interesting design choice, why the retractible hood on this 1 lens? The 35 has focus and iris rings in swapped positions but that's minor. A perfect set for me would be 10, 17, 25, 35, 50. If I had any plans to shoot s35 as well as s16 though it would be the Roks all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                            I have the SLR 12, 17, and 25 and they're great fast lenses. There's not enough distance between the 10 and 12 to warrant both for me personally. I may eventually sell the 12 and get the 10. The only issue with the SLR lenses for me is that you can't use step rings with the 25 because the retractible lens foreskin butts up against them and limits focus travel as the lens is not internal focus. You can take the glass out of a cheap UV and space it out and it will be fine but it's an interesting design choice, why the retractible hood on this 1 lens? The 35 has focus and iris rings in swapped positions but that's minor. A perfect set for me would be 10, 17, 25, 35, 50. If I had any plans to shoot s35 as well as s16 though it would be the Roks all the way.
                            Actually Howie, SLR Magic makes a step up ring and it's actually been packaged with the lens for some time now. Also I've had a step up ring I found on ebay that I was using with the original 25mm from the time the first version came out. Not sure what problems you had but it was never a real issue, just one brought on by forum panic and no real investigation to find a solution.

Comment

I bought the Cine II version in December when it was on sale and no step ring was included. I'm assuming their 49-77mm ring may well work and allow infinity focus but a generic will not. Notice in the pics how focus stops at 2m as the lens hood moves toward the step ring and binds. No big deal and easily corrected, it's really my only criticism of the lens. I wasn't aware of the forum panic, sounds tragic, I hope nobody got hurt.

IMG_1560.jpgIMG_1561.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                                I bought the Cine II version in December when it was on sale and no step ring was included. I'm assuming their 49-77mm ring may well work and allow infinity focus but a generic will not. Notice in the pics how focus stops at 2m as the lens hood moves toward the step ring and binds. No big deal and easily corrected, it's really my only criticism of the lens. I wasn't aware of the forum panic, sounds tragic, I hope nobody got hurt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12734[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]
                                You had to buy the step up ring with it. Also a generic will work. That's what I'm saying. A few of us found one that works over on Personal View. It has a longer threaded portion that screws into the barrel. I just don't want anyone thinking that this is an issue because it's not.

Comment

Working...
                                X