Tokina 11-16 2.8 - be careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokina 11-16 2.8 - be careful

Just got my Tokina 11-16 2.8 (the older version) in the mail.

Looks like I'm not able to focus at infinity when at 11 - meh.
    Saw some reports (of course after I bought it) that other folks have the same problem.

Maybe it's just a bad batch, who knows. So be careful and test it, before you buy one.

Frank
    Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Just got my Tokina 11-16 2.8 (the older version) in the mail.

Looks like I'm not able to focus at infinity when at 11 - meh.
    Thanks for the info Frank. Have you heard of any focus issues with the newer version?

Comment

As one of these is on my shopping list, I'm interested in how you might tell between an old one, and a new one? I'm talking in terms of physical attributes as much as performance, if I hold one in my hand, how do I tell if it's the old or new one?

Comment

Not cool!

This was going to be my workhorse lens!
        director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
          Not cool!

This was going to be my workhorse lens!
          Yup, same here.
          Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Is there a reason you can't return it?

Comment

Just buy the DXII ( the new version )
              http://valentin-mail.de/4a805

Comment

Thanks for the tip Frank.

I'll test mine (Scarlet) when I get a chance later.

Comment

I'm currently renting one, the old version, shooting the majority of a feature film on it. Will update with how it goes.
                  http://www.umuima.com

Comment

I think I've been lucky, then. I've used four different copies in my time, two of them have been Duclos modded, and none had an issue reaching infinity at the 11 end.

Also used one on Blackmagic, again no issues with infinity or anything like that. =T

That one guy's video on BMD forums is severe. If it had ever been like that I would've noticed in a heartbeat.

Spent time comparing the 12/1.6 SLR to the 11-16/2.8 on the 11~13 end and again, never saw any issues with infinity.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

I used mine on a canon 600D and it was fine

Comment

Folks are saying that it's a problem only on the BMC. Flange distance or something?

Comment

It's not a Blackmagic problem, I've used one on it two or three times now. Not an issue.

Flange on EF mount is spec, if every other lens works then the fault's down to the glass.

It's QC on the lens. Google shows that people have been having issues with it for some time now. Never knew that myself, every copy I've used has been fine, but I supposed it's also because every copy I've used has come from a rental house or has been Duclos modded, so I doubt they would settle for a bad copy.

Comment

MOving the discussion from JC's footage thread to this one, sorry about that.

So I just called someone that sells this lens and it is indeed a lens issue. One major point that I didn't think about at first: If you can't get infinity on the 11 end, if it were a flange issue, you would definitely not get it on the 16 end. It would span the entire zoom range.

Since this is going to be a popular lens, suggested that everyone try to go to a shop to purchase it even if you have to eat the tax expense etc. That way you can test it on the camera and make sure you have a good copy.

And from the other thread:

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                            I just realized something: None of the 11-16's I used were EF mount, they were Nikon or PL. In the Nikon's case I used the adapter with the iris adjustment ring on the back (name escapes me right now) to EF. Can't sign into BMD forum but if you want to pass that info along to see if anyone wants to investigate that?
                            Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                            Just found the name: NOVOFLEX

Maybe it's an issue with non Nikon mount 11-16's? The more I look online about it, the more I see the issues happening with Sony or Canon, but no mention of Nikon.
                            [/url]
                            Might also be a better choice to get a Nikon Mount and Novoflex adapter?

Comment

i'm thinking of going to bh tomorrow and trying a new canon one vs a nikon with adapter one - i'll keep you guys updated. the novoflex (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...apter_for.html) looks pretty good - but it does add $250 to the price of the lens haha

Comment

Working...
                              X