Best Lens for multi camera content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lens for multi camera content

Hi, I will be using 2 or three p4ks in a talk show setting, preferably live switching 1 interviewer and one to 3 guests. I Prefer MFT lens though I might purchase some viltrox boosters and use EF lens. I won't do any zooming. Camera positions 1,2,3, or 1,2, Any suggestion please. I Am looking at the sigma 17-50 0r Tokina 11-16 but will consider any knowledgeable consul. Price is also a factor.

Thanks

Starmanric
    Last edited by starman; 10-05-2019, 09:57 AM. Reason: misspelling

In Multicam shoot, consistency is key. For what you are asking, whatever lens you decide on, use the same lens on all the cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
      In Multicam shoot, consistency is key. For what you are asking, whatever lens you decide on, use the same lens on all the cameras.

Sorry I meant Lens mm

Comment

If you have 3 cameras that's a wide, medium coverage of the host and medium coverage of the guest. You have to calculate how far your cameras will be from the set to begin to choose what focal lengths you need for that coverage.

You could get 3 Lumix 14-42mm for like $400-$800 total, set them all to f/8 and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
          If you have 3 cameras that's a wide, medium coverage of the host and medium coverage of the guest. You have to calculate how far your cameras will be from the set to begin to choose what focal lengths you need for that coverage.

You could get 3 Lumix 14-42mm for like $400-$800 total, set them all to f/8 and call it a day.
          Yup... I'd definitely do that.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            Yup... I'd definitely do that.

Actually I will be at most 20 feet away. cameras will not be manned any c.u. will be done in post. The cameras will be recording 4k and I will be taping via atem hopefully the new atem mini.

Comment

My suggestion remains the same.

Comment

My cameras will not be manned. Camera 1 and 3 will be angled and camera 2 in the middle with a w.s. I will be recording hopefully with the new atem mini in 1080 and recording in-camera 4k. Then using the 1080 I will work on the 4k footage in post and zoom in and out as necessary add titles and whatever.

I need to know what mm lens should I use for all three cameras. I was thinking about a 28 or 35 mm focused to infinity.

Starmanric

Comment

....My suggestion remains the same.

I don't know what to tell you man. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
                    ....My suggestion remains the same.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Good luck
                    I just want to know what mm lens I should use, I'm going to shoot less than 20 feet away. M,s, of the host and Over the shoulder to the guest. I know I need a wide-angle but I don't want to see the whole set and beyond. I don't know if a 50mm at 15 ft. will give me the shot that I need or if a 35 would look good at 6 ft. Basically I need the help of a dp that has done this. The project is for a presentation pilot to a local cable channel.

Thanks all anyway

Starmanric

Comment

If you have a smartphone, download Cadrage Director's Viewfinder. It works on iOS and Android. This is the cheapest way to go unless you can pretty much measure by eye. Select the camera you will use in the selection list. Then using the smartphone as a DOP viewfinder, locate yourself on the various areas you want to put the camera. Select different focal lengths for each setup to figure out what focal length you will need based on the distance, framing, and angle that you like best for each camera setup. Note the lens mm (which includes the crop factor) and calculate the actual focal length that is needed. Then go buy the lenses you will need. As a DP, this is what I will be doing.

Comment

Just get the cheap zooms that were suggested, primes are too limited for this type of shoot. It doesn't matter if the camera is unmanned, you still have to place it and set the frame you want with talent in place. Much easier to tweak the frame on a zoom than to move the camera. You can't use the exact same focal lengths anyway. Usually all three cameras will be roughly the same distance from the set in an arc, so the middle camera doing the full wide will need a wider lens than the two that are taking the medium close.

Comment

If you have a smartphone, download Cadrage Director's Viewfinder. It works on iOS and Android. This is the cheapest way to go unless you can pretty much measure by eye. Select the camera you will use in the selection list. Then using the smartphone as a DOP viewfinder, locate yourself on the various areas you want to put the camera. Select different focal lengths for each setup to figure out what focal length you will need based on the distance, framing, and angle that you like best for each camera setup. Note the lens mm (which includes the crop factor) and calculate the actual focal length that is needed. Then go buy the lenses you will need. As a DP, this is what I will be doing.

I am planning to record 4k to each camera SSD t5 and reframe in post. Using the mixed 1080 as a base to cut the 4k footage. So I think that I can get by using a fixed lens on all cameras. Gues Ill use the director's viewfinder and see unless im missing something.

Comment

Thank you Ill check it out

Starmanric

Comment

Working...
                            X