Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens for a modern TV show

Hey guys,

I'm finishing a script for a pilot which I want to shoot and sell it for a platform such as Netflix. I'll be using my UM4.6k which is Netflix approved of course.

About lens, I was thinking on renting Angenieux Optimos because they fit my pl adapter to my ef mount ursa mini and I love their look, but at the same time, I really wanted to nail the modern look that's becoming the norm (I particularly love the look of the show Dark).

Any suggestions of lens? Maybe the Zeiss Zf/Ze/contax?

Thanks

What characteristics exactly do you mean by "modern look"?

Most of the look and feel of Dark is set design, lighting and color grade. You could achieve the exact same look and feel with a wide variety of lenses. They also used Alexa 65.

Comment

I agree Geran, but that could be said of mostly any good looking piece. Modern usually is felt through overall sharpness and lack of optic aberrations (a lot of those aberrations make me love certain lenses ironically hehe). Comparing the S4s with the Master Primes for example, I feel the MPs are sharper but the S4 have a distinct look if that's what one's after.

I love the Angenieux look but I wonder if a set of Zeiss Zfs would look more neutral without being steryle. And of course, be optically superb... And then there's the camera. As you said, they used the Alexa 65 on Dark which will make basically any lens look good, but with the UM4.6k there are probably a few that match better than others. Let me know about your experience
      Last edited by david evans; 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
        They also used Alexa 65.
        They also didn't use the full sensor. They shot with Ultra Primes and extracted the center out which was about 4.3K when all said and done. They basically made an LF before the LF even existed.

So the ideal answer would be Ultra Primes, of course. But of course they're not gonna work on your EF to PL adapter. Optimo 28-76 would probably be a pretty good fit, although slightly warmer in tone.

Is renting a different camera, perhaps a UMP with a PL mount not an option?
        Aaron Lochert

Comment

Hey Aaron. We're doing this pilot with minimum budget, so I'll be renting only what I don't own. I think you're right about the Optimos. I'll run some tests after the screenplay is done to see how the Angenieux performs with the UM4.6k.

Thanks

Comment

David, as for your previous question, the ZFs would be more neutral looking than a vintage lens like the Angenieux.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
              David, as for your previous question, the ZFs would be more neutral looking than a vintage lens like the Angenieux.
              Cheers
              Thanks Denny. Any suggestions on which of those Zeiss Zfs are the best optically? I know the 28mm is highly regarded, but what else?

Comment

David, the 21mmm ZF is excellent, well controlled distortion. The 50mm f/2 macro is also very good, as is the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm.
                Cheers
                Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

David, the 21mmm ZF is excellent, well controlled distortion. The 50mm f/2 macro is also very good, as is the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm.
                  Cheers
                  Thanks Denny. Any optical differences between the ZFs and ZEs? I know that ZF will have manual iris which I prefer but will also focus the "wrong" way but they are optically equal, right?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, they are optically the same. But the ZF are mechanical iris control, the ZE requires a smart adapter to get iris control.
                    Now, are you sure it’s the Nikon that Focuses backwards, and not the Canon? From my perspective, the Nikon focus direction is correct, and the lenses that focus the other way round, got it backwards.

On a view camera, you roll the focus wheel forward to focus close (extend the bellows) and turn the wheel back towards you to focus back towards inf. This is not really intuitive, it should be the other way round, move the wheel away from you to focus on distance and towards you to focus close up!

Now that we have that cleared up, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
                    Cheers

Comment

Yes, they are optically the same. But the ZF are mechanical iris control, the ZE requires a smart adapter to get iris control.
                      Now, are you sure it’s the Nikon that Focuses backwards, and not the Canon? From my perspective, the Nikon focus direction is correct, and the lenses that focus the other way round, got it backwards.

On a view camera, you roll the focus wheel forward to focus close (extend the bellows) and turn the wheel back towards you to focus back towards inf. This is not really intuitive, it should be the other way round, move the wheel away from you to focus on distance and towards you to focus close up!

Now that we have that cleared up, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
                      Cheers
                      Hahahaah. I agree with you, that's why I put the wrong in quotes hehe. I like to rack focus on Nikon lenses (most of my lenses are Nikon so I'm used to them), but everytime I have to use a cine lens or any other lens, it's like I have to always think where I have to turn the barrell.

Btw, how do the Leica-r compare to the Zeiss?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by david evans View Post
                        Btw, how do the Leica-r compare to the Zeiss?
                        Plenty of info and tons of examples of Leica-R's over on the reduser forum. I ultimately went the Contax Zeiss route but there's always that part in the back of my mind that wonders about the Leicas. Some lovely examples in there.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...n-RED-Pictures
                        Aaron Lochert

Comment

"Netflix approved" is only important if you are working on a Netflix production. Netflix also buy films that are not on the "Netflix approved" list because it was not a netflix production. (just sayin) if it is not a netflxo production netflix donīt care much about the camera. They care about the story, awards etc....

Comment

Originally posted by S_Berger View Post
                            "Netflix approved" is only important if you are working on a Netflix production. Netflix also buy films that are not on the "Netflix approved" list because it was not a netflix production. (just sayin) if it is not a netflxo production netflix donīt care much about the camera. They care about the story, awards etc....
                            I meant approved because it shoots 4k. I think they only accept 4k pieces , right?

Comment

That's for Netflix Originals. There is a ton of content on netflix that does not abide by their policy.

Comment

Working...
                              X