No announcement yet.

SLR Magic MicroPrime Cine Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you are using rye SLR APOs, the soft, dreamy look wide open is a fairly constant trait amount the less expensive SLR Magic cine lenses, the Hyoerprimes do this also, some more than others, depending on the lens. The 18mm MicroPrime tested out nicely on the on the Pocket 4K, the 12mm is softer than the 18mm, and I too would give this 12mm a miss. The 25mm and up are 135mm/FF lenses, but if and when they are available in MFT mount, with the smaller MFT sensor (compared to 135mm/FF) they should do well, as you re using the sweet center area of the projected Image circle.

For a S35 or larger sensor camera, would look to the APOs over these Microprimes, with the exception of perhaps the 18mm.
    Cheers

Comment

"soft, dreamy look" ? ... No. it is just a bad lens. You could say the same about the "Viltrox" Adapter. .. soft, dreamy. Makes no sense.

If you want a real "soft, dreamy look" get real vintage lenses or buy Pro Mist Filter or something.

Comment

Originally posted by S_Berger View Post
        Review by Cinema5d.
        https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-m...lenses-review/

Super soft. Only sharp in the center. Gets better at F5.6 PASS.
        Yeah, that Cinema5D review is a bummer.

Originally posted by S_Berger View Post
        I would love to spend up to 1000 Bucks for a "cheap CINE lens"
        +1.

We're assuming Veydra as a company is dead, right? I'm skeptical of the similar looking Meike Cinema Lens - hopefully we'll start seeing more thorough reviews. The 25mm has been out for a few months now, and they're starting to ship the 16mm.

This guy claims that the Veydra & Meike are the same.
        vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
          Yeah, that Cinema5D review is a bummer.

+1.

We're assuming Veydra as a company is dead, right? I'm skeptical of the similar looking Meike Cinema Lens - hopefully we'll start seeing more thorough reviews. The 25mm has been out for a few months now, and they're starting to ship the 16mm.

This guy claims that the Veydra & Meike are the same.
          Someonee from Veydra recently announced on Facebook that they're in the process of coming back.

Comment

Woah, you're right. I wonder what's up? In August 2018 he acknowledges "issues with supply." And then the next post is on March 25, 2019, in which he writes, "Veydra is currently not fulfilling orders primarily due to supply chain and related issues pertaining to our Mini Prime lenses."

Ugh, how long will we have to wait? Hopefully they'll show up to NAB with a whole truckload of new Veydra MFT!
            vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
              I saw one reviewer who thought they cut in very close.
              Cheers
              What reviewer was that? I've been looking for any info on comparisons between the APO's and Microprimes and it's near impossible to find, let alone much footage shot with the Microprimes. I'm thinking of going for the 18mm either way, $550 is pretty fantastic based off of the footage of the other lenses in the set I've seen. Hope they release the others for MFT soon.
              Last edited by Asyndeton; 05-26-2019, 01:50 PM.
              Darren Hartman
              Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of picking up a 18mm also. The 12mm was reported as being a little soft. But since I have the 11-16 Duclos Zoom, a 18mm Prime seems to fit.
                Cheers.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen the same about the 12mm being soft, though I like the sort-of dreamy softness the others lenses the set have when wide open. I ordered the 18mm, should arrive on Friday and I'll try to post some screengrabs since I should have free time over the weekend to walk around downtown with the camera. If I like it enough I'll give the 12mm a chance and hopefully the 25mm and others will be released by end of the year.
                  Darren Hartman

Comment

Grand, looking forward to seeing what you get, and your response to how the lens works out.
                    Cheers

Comment

I got the 18mm on Thursday, I got home from work while the sun was going down so I went outside and walked around quickly grabbing some shots of flowers, trying to keep the aperture as open as I could. Didn't have much time so I didn't rig it onto the Crane 2 or use any ND so I kept it at 60fps. Then shots of myself and having trouble to nail focus without someone to help me, I think the first one was wide open, and then the next few were 2.8 - 4 split and the last was at 4. And then obligatory shots of cats!

Overall, I'm very pleased with how the lens performs. The characteristics are right up my ally with the slight softness when wide-open that looks creamy, the bokeh and the way that it flares. I also don't think it's 'too soft' to the point of being unusable like I've seen some people knock it for. I'm going to order the 12mm sometime within the next few weeks, going to wait on pay from a job I recently did, but I'm very excited for it. I found a test video of the x-mount version of it where it definitely looked even softer than this lens wide open, but still acceptable for use. I'm interested to see how well the 12mm matches to the 18mm.

Someone rented my camera for the weekend so I'm hoping to have some time to shoot some more stuff down-town Monday. I'll also note that I saw some people talking about QC issues with the E and X-mount versions in terms of focus being very stiff, maybe they've got that fixed up since then or had no issues with their batch of MFTs because mine has no issues that I've noticed so far. The back-cap sucks and barely stays on the lens though which is annoying.

Grading-wise, I set the timeline colorspace to Pocket 4K Film Gen 4 and the first node was CST to Rec709. All clips except a couple had the same adjustments copied across. One node making a slight s-curve and then another node adjusting lift/gamma/gain and slight contrast adjustment. No other adjustments to color.

Darren Hartman

Comment

Looks good Darren, typical SLR Magic soft creamy look wide open, which is nice, and a interesting looking IQ. Looks very good stoped down also. The 12mm is a little softer wide open from clips I have seen, but should cut in nicely stopped down. Looking forward to your next report. PS, like your house and cats too.
                        Cheers

Comment

Nice. Very inspiring film. Did you shoot in 4k or 1080?

I use "old" SLR lenses in m43 (12, 25, 35 & 50). I don't know the difference between mine and these new micro-primes except the new body. Is it same optical formula glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
                            Nice. Very inspiring film. Did you shoot in 4k or 1080?

I use "old" SLR lenses in m43 (12, 25, 35 & 50). I don't know the difference between mine and these new micro-primes except the new body. Is it same optical formula glasses?
                            Shot 4K DCI and BRAW 8:1. Iíve been assuming that the MicroPrimes are new glass they developed. I know the Hyperprimes were rehoused still lenses but I donít know if SLR Magic developed those themselves or if they rehoused something else. A buddy of mine is at CineGear and said heíll try to ask at their booth.

Just saw this article saying the 25mm MFT is going to release at the end of June for $600! https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...t1-5-for-m4-3/
                            Darren Hartman

Comment

From what I understand, they are new optical designs, similar to the Veydras, not rehoused Hyperprime or other still lenses. For starters the Microprimes are internal focusing, while the rehoused still lenses are all external focusing, in that the lens changes length as the front element moves in and out while it is focused. The breathing is also better controlled on the Microprimes. Read the previous posts here and the referenced sites for details.

Great news on the 25mm, thanks Darren.
                              Cheers
                              Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I got the 12mm in today, haven't really done anything with it yet but will doing a simple shoot tomorrow I plan to use it. It's definitely softer than the 18mm wide open, but it seems to be alright at t/4.

The aperture is off between the two lenses, though. The 12mm at every comparative aperture is about 2/3 of a stop brighter than the 18mm. I'm assuming that it's probably a case of 'what you get for $500 cine lens' but I feel like it shouldn't be that far off considering the lenses are measured in t-stops. It's very easy to match them in Resolve, though. I'm going to send an email over to SLR Magic with these clips and see what they say: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9tdres58...Bulz5S15a?dl=0

The clips in the dropbox link were both set to exactly T4.0.
                                Darren Hartman

Comment

Working...
                                X