Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dearly missing the range of my s16 zooms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dearly missing the range of my s16 zooms

    So, I've been doing most of my filming on the OG pocket with the angeneuix 17.5-70 and while lacking in the wide end, was a great run and gun lens for me. Since moving over to the 4k pocket, I'm having a hard time finding something that has a similar range.

    Right now using the Tokina 28-70 2.8 (Angie clone) but find the range quite lacking.

    One option I've come across is the old Canon FD 35-105 3.5 matched with a speed booster, could be a decent solution, but info on this lens is hard to come by with images or video examples.

  • #2
    If you don't need any wider, 24-100 would pretty much match what you are used to.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, and the Olympus 24-100 seems like a winner in this area on the new Pocket 4K.
      Cheers

      Comment


      • #4
        I have, and use, both the Olympus 12-100/4 and Canon 24-105L/4 (with 0.64x speedbooster).

        Both are really useful ranges for fast doco style shooting.

        The Olympus is 135 equivalent of 24-200 - a superb 8x range. The IOS is really good and I really like the character of the lens - even with the distortion at the wide end. It gives it a sort of anamorphic feel, especially shooting 2.4:1.

        The Canon (with 0.64x speedbooster) is 135 equivalent of 30.7-134mm f/2.6 - also very useful range, and quite fast. The's no barrel distortion and the IOS works great. It's even very close to being parfocal, which the Olympus isn't.

        Comment


        • #5
          Among vintage zooms, the Canon FD 35 to 105 f3.5 is as good as it gets!
          Constant aperture, parfocal (if the adapter is right), good mechancis, two touch, typical Canon colors and a nice range. I own it and used it on my GH2 (before I went to Sony). There are tons of videos if you google "Canon FD 35 105 video" or something like that.

          But all the modern zooms mentioned by others are better if it's about sheer resolution, CA and such. It depends if you are after the 'look' or scientific measurements ;-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the replies!

            Originally posted by Nomad View Post
            Among vintage zooms, the Canon FD 35 to 105 f3.5 is as good as it gets!
            Constant aperture, parfocal (if the adapter is right), good mechancis, two touch, typical Canon colors and a nice range. I own it and used it on my GH2 (before I went to Sony). There are tons of videos if you google "Canon FD 35 105 video" or something like that.

            But all the modern zooms mentioned by others are better if it's about sheer resolution, CA and such. It depends if you are after the 'look' or scientific measurements ;-)
            I am looking for something with a bit of vintage mojo to it too, like the angie. Would you happen to have any recent footage with your 15-105? Finding it hard to find good samples apart from a good one filmed on an a7s.

            Comment


            • #7
              I wouldnt have anything else. I can only adapt it to my A7S, not my UM46P. But it definitely has that vintage mojo, but not as strong as the 16mm lenses. Since you are using only the center, it's pretty sharp edge to edge compared to those.

              Tell me what you'd like to see and I can shoot something when my A7S is back (probably tomorrow).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                I wouldnt have anything else. I can only adapt it to my A7S, not my UM46P. But it definitely has that vintage mojo, but not as strong as the 16mm lenses. Since you are using only the center, it's pretty sharp edge to edge compared to those.

                Tell me what you'd like to see and I can shoot something when my A7S is back (probably tomorrow).
                If you could, I'd love to see what the sharpness is like wide open at 35 and 105 centre and edge. Would also love to see some bokeh! Very kind of you to offer Nomad, much appreciated.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You could always try the original Angenieux 28-70 (if you can find one affordable) or get rhe Tokina copy, the 28-70f/2.6-2.8 (Japan market version was f/2.8, bit same lens, with a 77mm filter ring, no bayonet hood mount).

                  A 25mm matches the wide end of the 17.5 Angie zoom. Put the lens on a Speed Booster for the wide end, and you have 20mm (equivalent to 12mm on S16), and use a straight MFT adapter for the longer end.
                  Cheers
                  Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-02-2018, 12:28 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                    You could always try the original Angenieux 28-70 (if you can find one affordable) or get rhe Tokina copy, the 28-70f/2.6-2.8 (Japan market version was f/2.8, bit same lens, with a 77mm filter ring, no bayonet hood mount).

                    A 25mm matches the wide end of the 17.5 Angie zoom. Put the lens on a Speed Booster for the wide end, and you have 20mm (equivalent to 12mm on S16), and use a straight MFT adapter for the longer end.
                    Cheers
                    I'm using the Tokina version at the moment Denny. It's the F2.6-2.8 version 2 from Japan with the bayonet. While nice, it's a little soft wide open on the long end and I'd like to get a little more reach at the long end too.
                    Last edited by Amoore; 12-02-2018, 02:23 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good, being soft wide open is an Angenieux IQ trait that is often looked at as bing a plus, giving you a cinematic IQ choice, which works well for Beauty shots or close ups of women.
                      Cheers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, here you go:
                        Please decompress the linked ZIP file and you'll find six stills. There are three with some vegetation shot for bokeh with the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom and one to compare resolution, all WO.
                        For comparison I shot two stills with the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8, sometimes called poor man's Otus for it's excellent resolution paired with good bokeh, set to f3.5 too.

                        These stills are all straight out of clips shot on a Sony A7R II (my A7S is out for shooting and only HD anyway without external recorder), recorded in 4K XAVC with the Cine4 profile (my favorite) in S-35 mode.
                        No grading whatsoever and the profile is matching the scene contrast pretty well. One observation: the stills from the Sony/Zeiss are a tad lighter (and more contrasty), which is probably due to better coatings rising the T-stop.

                        BTW, the Canon zoom hardly changes it's length when zooming or focusing, which is nice for mattebox or gear use, but the front lens is turning when focusing – which is why you'll want a mattebox.

                        https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd2hvpem1b...Zeiss.zip?dl=0
                        Last edited by Nomad; 12-03-2018, 04:05 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                          OK, here you go:
                          Please decompress the linked ZIP file and you'll find six stills. There are three with some vegetation shot for bokeh with the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom and one to compare resolution, all WO.
                          For comparison I shot two stills with the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8, sometimes called poor man's Otus for it's excellent resolution paired with good bokeh, set to f3.5 too.

                          These stills are all straight out of clips shot on a Sony A7R II (my A7S is out for shooting and only HD anyway without external recorder), recorded in 4K XAVC with the Cine4 profile (my favorite) in S-35 mode.
                          No grading whatsoever and the profile is matching the scene contrast pretty well. One observation: the stills from the Sony/Zeiss are a tad lighter (and more contrasty), which is probably due to better coatings rising the T-stop.

                          BTW, the Canon zoom hardly changes it's length when zooming or focusing, which is nice for mattebox or gear use, but the front lens is turning when focusing – which is why you'll want a mattebox.

                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd2hvpem1b...Zeiss.zip?dl=0
                          Thank you very much for this Nomad. Really appreciate you taking the time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                            Good, being soft wide open is an Angenieux IQ trait that is often looked at as bing a plus, giving you a cinematic IQ choice, which works well for Beauty shots or close ups of women.
                            Cheers
                            I haven't given up on it just yet!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Canon 35-105 f/3.5 is a great great lens for video.

                              I'll dig up some footage I've shot with mine, but for the price of admission, it's hard to beat.

                              I've actually recently gotten it's wider sibling, the FD 20-35 L f/3.5 and the two make a great pair

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X