ND filter recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND filter recommendation?

What are the best ND filters? I'm looking for screw in NDs. I've used B+W and like them. I'm also considering Firecrest.

Any other recommendations that won't give me a strong color cast?

I believe the Hoya ProND filters are still the way to go. With any BM camera, IR pollution is an issue with heavy amounts of ND, so also pick up a Hoya UV+IR Cut filter — It's the best I've ever used.

Comment

Is there an VARIABLE ND + UV+ IR all in one?

Comment

Originally posted by Juxx989 View Post
        Is there an VARIABLE ND + UV+ IR all in one?
        Not yet.

I also suggest the Hoya Pro ND filters.
        I used B&W in the past but found they had some pretty bad color shift problems.
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I'm using Formatt Firecrest - excellent quality with no colour shift between the densities.

Comment

Originally posted by retcheto View Post
            What are the best ND filters? I'm looking for screw in NDs. I've used B+W and like them. I'm also considering Firecrest.

Any other recommendations that won't give me a strong color cast?
            We are just coming out with a new set of 82mm screw-in filters and it comes as a box set from 1-10 stops. We consider the set to be a relatively good performer with good colour balance. We are currently looking for early adopters to help us review the set of filters. The box set will not set you back for more than $399 and provides excellent price : performance ratio. Email support@slrmagic.com for details for the sharpshooter program for the 10 stop ND box set =)

Comment

I use the following with my BMPCC.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._0_9_irnd.html

Comment

I use the Genus(tech) Eclipse and like it a lot. No visible loss in sharpness and only minimal if any color-tint.

Comment

Originally posted by slrmagic View Post
                  We are just coming out with a new set of 82mm screw-in filters and it comes as a box set from 1-10 stops. We consider the set to be a relatively good performer with good colour balance. We are currently looking for early adopters to help us review the set of filters. The box set will not set you back for more than $399 and provides excellent price : performance ratio. Email support@slrmagic.com for details for the sharpshooter program for the 10 stop ND box set =)
                  I'll be testing these ND filters for accuracy and consistent performance shortly, so if you can wait a few weeks before buying ND filters, this set of screw-on sounds very promising at a very good price!

Comment

I use a combination of SLRMagic Vari ND + SLRMagic Image Enhancer Pro. Good combination and not too expensive. Here´s a pic of how the IE affects the IR on the BMMCC.SLRMagicIEtest.jpg

Comment

Yes, I use that too. The IE Pro attenuates infrared radiation but that's often all you need at lower ND strengths. The new ND filters that I'm testing for SLR Magic are only neutral density, so I'll still need to use infrared cut (Schneider) or attenuation (Image Enhancer Pro) filters. The NiSi rectangular IRND filters (and others) attenuate infrared to the same degree they reduce visible light so the sprectral response is flat. The IE Pro shape the spectral response to improve skin tones so the response is not a straight horizontal line, but a curve with little effect on the deep reds, but gently increases attenuation of infrared radiation at longer wavelengths.

Comment

Here’s a quick look at 10 new ND 82mm filters from SLR Magic. As well is included a brief look at the IEND1.2 86mm filter which combines four stops of ND with an Image Enhancer to control infrared contamination. From 1 stop to 10 stops with screw-on ND filters has you covered for most any situation.

Edit
                        For reasons unknown, when I paste in the URL here, it doesn’t work. When I add the URL as an Attachment, it also does not work. A bit painful, but if you can’t see the Video link posted, which does work, please go to Vimeo and add /234087139 to the home page URL in your browser; that works.

https://vimeo.com/234087139
                        Last edited by rick.lang; 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Another test of the SLR Magic ND 82mm screw-on filters with an emphasis on examination of colour consistency and ND strength. There are variations in lighting due to the light cloud cover once again, but the strength of the ND filtration can vary plus or minus a third of a stop. This really needs to be evaluated in lab/studio conditions. This test ran from about 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. The tests with the SLR Magic ND exhibit remarkable colour consistency as shown by the grey rock faces (lower centre and lower right of the frame). They appear to show some infrared contamination after four of five stops but it’s far from severe especially as the strength increases to 10 stops. The new 4-stop IEND 86mm screw-on is effective controlling infrared wavelengths from 700nm.

For the last few clips, I show the ND filters with my SLR Magic Image Enhancer Pro screw-on filters that I regularly use when shooting with my SLR Magic Variable-ND II filter. The IE Pro does have some colour shift as you can see a warmer colour compared to the prior clips singing the IEND. I like the look of the IE Pro which is flattering on skin tones so it’s another tool in the box. SLR Magic glass intentionally is not pursuing a cool or completely neutral look, but chasing a creamy flattering effect. That is reflected in their cinema lenses and professional filters.

https://vimeo.com/234174084

Links aren't working on this forum now. But just paste it into your browser.
                          Last edited by rick.lang; 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I’ve updated both videos posted earlier. Noticing that the second video only has a dozen views, while the first video has been viewed 142 times in comparison, I would encourage you to view the second video as it’s a much better examination of colour cast (by concentrating your attention to the grey-faced rocks lower right) and the control of infrared wavelengths (which can affect the black Manfrotto bag beside the SLR Magic lens case). The red cushion is also interesting to watch for changes when the IEND or IE Pro are present.

The new IEND1.2 filter appears to perform better than the original IE Pro filter I have in terms of both colour consistency and control of infrared.

Both videos updated in post September 20, 2017 and replaced on Vimeo September 21, 2017 The original links now show the updated videos. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                            X