• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Zeiss 2/50 ZE

Hey,

What are your thoughts about this lens?

Chris

I found this at B&H Pro Video at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Planar_ZE.html

Comment

I've got the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4', and I love it. However, on the BMC it will act like a longer lens... About 115mm or so.

The Zeiss 25mm or 28mm will bring you closer to the behavior of a "normal" lens... I plan on picking up the 28mm.

The Zeiss ZE lenses are a dream to work with...
      Randy Walters
      boundlessinformant.com

Comment

You recommend them?

Comment

I have a set of Zeiss's. Highly recommend them. Can't wait for the new 15mm to arrive. I use the ZF.2s, but visually the ZEs are identical.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenM View Post
            Can't wait for the new 15mm to arrive.
            I wish I had the finances for that 15mm! It will be particularly well suited for the BMC.

Chris, if you're not familiar with Zeiss gear, they have attributes that go beyond their ability to resolve. They are incredibly well-machined, weighty hunks of solid metal and glass that move as though they're oil-damped. They can be pricey, but if you get your hands on one, I promise you'll devote energy to figuring out how to get more. I would rather have one Zeiss lens than two or three of almost anyone else's. (And given their prices, that can indeed be the reality of a Zeiss habit.)

It's very much worth your while to find a retailer or photographer that will let you get a feel for what these lenses really are; that direct contact could have a great effect on your purchasing plans. If there's no one in your area, perhaps you could test one or two by renting by mail.
            Last edited by randyman; 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM.
            Randy Walters
            boundlessinformant.com

Comment

Chris, if you're in Southern California, you are welcome to come by and try mine out.

Comment

Nope I am in Canada.

Comment

I echo randyman's comments about Zeiss - I sold off my Canon 50mm 1.2L for the Zeiss 50mm 2.0 ZF.2 to use on my NEX-FS100 and totally love the lens. Built like a tank and 100% solid. I don't have the $$$ either to buy the new 15mm, but am seriously looking at the Zeiss 25mm as my 50mm(ish) general purpose prime.
                  // Aaron

Comment

I have the ZF version. Assuming the ZE is identical, a word of caution - it has a macro oriented focus throw...so of the delightful 300+ degree throw, 80-90% of that is up to 70cm. I wish I'd've known that before buying.

Agree with all of the positive things stated here re build, smooth focus, image...and it's almost faultless wide open. Not often you can say that about a stills lens.
                    http://vimeo.com/user4142226

Comment

how about the zeiss 21mm ZE? Do you think it will show distortion? Will it be able to throw a soft focus at when wide open ( 2.8 ) ? I have this lens and am thinking of selling to get the ZE 25mm F2 instead.

Comment

Assuming you are talking about DOF, the sensor size only affects the crop of the image, not the image itself. If you've got the lens now, just take a shot at f/2.8 and see if like what you see.

Comment

ok thanks, that makes sense. does anyone know which lens is sharper when shot with wide open aperture between the Zeiss ZE 21mm and 25mm? I cant find any comparisons online.

Comment

Offhand, I can't tell you anything about the 21mm. However, I did compare the 25mm and the 28mm.

One thing I remember is that the 28mm has floating elements, which help in delivering (as Zeiss says) "razor-sharp closeups." The 25mm is *not* optimized for closeups, which led me to plan to get the 28mm in the future as a "normal" lens instead of the 25mm, despite the longer focal length.

I'm seeing great reviews of the 21mm, but it is substantially more expensive than the 28mm, and .8 stops slower. If you have the funds, though, it looks like a fantastic lens. Ken Rockwell called it the best 21mm he'd ever seen.
                            Randy Walters
                            boundlessinformant.com

Comment

Originally posted by randyman View Post
                              I'm seeing great reviews of the 21mm, but it is substantially more expensive than the 28mm, and .8 stops slower. If you have the funds, though, it looks like a fantastic lens. Ken Rockwell called it the best 21mm he'd ever seen.
                              Well, you mean, 1 whole stop slower?

Anway, the 21mm is one of the sharpest wide angle lenses that covers full frame. Both the 25mm and the 28mm is a bit softer, but it is only visible in pictures.
                              But if you can let 3mm go, go with the Canon 24mm 1.4 II
                              And..ZE lenses are always a bit softer, than Canon L primes. Some people even like them because of this.
                              C300 review | http://carousel.hu/c300/

Comment

Working...
                              X